Is Beane The Best GM We Have Had Since Bill Polian?

Irv

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

The Bills Nix/Whaley built were loaded with talent. I don't care what anyone says. They hired the wrong coach in 2015.

Agreed. Our playoff slump would have ended a year earlier if not for Rex.

Beane has not done anything yet. He should Thank Whaley's talent assessments and McD's coaching for ending the drought.

I am hopeful for the upcoming season but my concern is can Beane build a team.

He has never done that before. My vote goes to Butler.

Ultimately Allen will decide whether Beane is a good GM or not.  We've had some good teams, with top running teams and top defensive teams.  

Just being in a healthy cap situation isn't a sign of a good GM.  They do to some degree and build the team they want.  In other words,  Beane will spend the money and we'll see what type of team he fills it up with.  The failure of the previous regime's has largely been the inability to find a QB.  

Edited by White Linen

1 hour ago, TaskersGhost said:

I'd also rather have little cap space and good players.  The good teams may have no cap space, but guess what?  

Agree on the first two points. 

On the third one, he's got quite a bit of building to do.  This team is far from playoff competitive and with essentially needs at every single position offensively, besides Allen, upon who he'll sink or swim, and quite a few needs in the front-7 on D, that's too much work to do in one offseason.  

He'll have to have an A+ draft, not according to the post-draft commentary, but in reality this coming season, if he wants to have a serious chance at saving his job.  

Totally agree. It’s going to be exciting to see how FA and the draft play out. It’s pretty close to a blank slate right now and I really like Allen. I think protecting him should be priority no. 1 this season

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Irv said:

Yes - we've had some terrible GM's.  But,  he seems to have a solid plan in place.  We have the 4th highest cap space available this year and are projected to have the highest in 2020.  He arguably got the franchise QB we needed.  The fans seem engaged.  If we make the playoffs this year, I'd argue that he is one of the best GM's in the league and the best since Bills GM since Polian.   

going no further   YEP

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He’s accomplished nothing so far. This is a ridiculous question

nothing? I would wouldn't say he's done nothing unless of course you feel his first draft wont be a successful one?

allen alone says he's likely drafted the best QB the bills have seen since kelly.

so no, I wouldn't say he's done nothing.

7 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

He's definitely better than Russ Brandon and Marv but it's too early for the anointing oil... I am hopeful though.

Those 2 weren't really GMs.  

The dregs you didn't mention:  Buddy  Nix and Whaley.

Any one of the posters here showing on day one  post-Whaley would have been the best since Polian....

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Those 2 weren't really GMs.  But they really were

The dregs you didn't mention:  Buddy  Nix and Whaley. I try and pretend they never existed

Any one of the posters here showing on day one  post-Whaley would have been the best since Polian.... Sadly true

• Like (+1) 1

No one was worse than Levy.

As for Beane, so far he gets a C-. He created the salary cap situation and admitted he did not put a competitive team together for 2018.  I liked the KB trade at the time but in the end it was awful. Free agency last year was mostly a fail. He drafted for need in 2018 giving away multiple picks and players to do it. He drafted Edmunds when DROY fell to second round.  UDFA picks look great so far.

But none of the above matters. Only Allen matters. Beane took his shot and now he has to live with it. If Allen progresses and they add pieces around him then a lost 2018 season will be worth it.  If Allen regresses and the team is below .500 next year then he should be fired.

3 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

It's really strange. I don't want cap space. I want talent.

Don't be so silly. Cap space defends WRs. Those moron Patriots signed Gilmore and used up all that cap space for the best DB in the league in 2018. But he wasn't good enough for McD. Good thing Peterman was the cheapest starting QB in the league. That will show those cap experts how to field a team.

• Haha (+1) 1

There hasn't been a decent GM since Polian, and as far as I'm concerned that's still the case... So far Mcbeane hasn't been great at drafting, and they've sucked in free agency.  Let's see how the players they've drafted in'18 and '19 are doing come October.

Edited by #34fan

57 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Don't be so silly. Cap space defends WRs. Those moron Patriots signed Gilmore and used up all that cap space for the best DB in the league in 2018. But he wasn't good enough for McD. Good thing Peterman was the cheapest starting QB in the league. That will show those cap experts how to field a team.

The rebuild is not done yet. All I have to say too this.