Is Beane The Best GM We Have Had Since Bill Polian?

Irv

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Similar records to McDermott by the way. Funny how we view things. 

Yes, true.  The difference now is that I believe McD has a vision of the team he wants.  Marrone seemed to muddle through things, along with his sidekick, Hackett.  Rex was a disorganized boob and a blow-hard.  Not to make this a Whaley thread, as we've had enough of those, but it is hard to see any GM succeeding with those two.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

But,  he seems to have a solid plan in place.  

He does?

What's the plan?  

All I see is Allen.  If Allen works out then "the plan" works out, if Allen doesn't work out, and very likely requiring an enormous improvement in his passing game beginning this season, then McBeane will have 2020 at the most to make the playoffs and prove whatever plan it is.  Allen's going to have to make HUGE strides in red zone performance in order to prove that "the plan" is working.  The thing that he doesn't have going for him is that there's no need for a strong-arm in the red zone.  

Either way, I see no evidence of any plan yet other than having traded up a bunch of day-1 & 2 picks to get Allen last year.  

And agree with K-9, it's not exactly like the bar for best GM since Polian has been set very high, it's a below-average standard.  Butler was arguably the best but he had remnants of Polian's talent to work with.  

Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, Nix, and Whaley were all below-average.  

• Like (+1) 2

It's too early to tell.  I will concede that he is off to a good start.  One or two good drafts and a handful of middle of the pack free agents doesn't define him as a great GM.  If Beane can continue this roster building trend over a period of years and seriously contend for multiple championships, then he will be looked at very favorably.  Other than Polian, the rest of our GM's have been below average.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CardinalScotts said:

I think he's going to be better than Polian - Bill was not very good at drafting players but he did a good job with free agents and finding guys late

I respectfully completely disagree with your statement: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

Check out 1984-1992.

• Like (+1) 1

My vote would be yes his actions to this point have proven that he has a solid plan & is implementing it in every move he makes . Some moves work others don't but he's not made the ridiculous moves like were made to bring Sammy W in when other players were there as good or better .

Every move is planned out & thought through to make the Bills a better team i think the Bills are in a good spot with him at the helm !! 

Like that Beane and McDermott appear to work well together. From my perspective, Beane hasn't been on the job long enough to for a rating. Although I do like what he has done so far.

It's impossible to answer this thread today because it's way too early. I think so far Beane has exhibited moves and decisions that puts him in the "very good" category. You can see he has a plan to point this team in the right direction.  This FA/ draft will all be about improving the offense around JA. If he truly did troll AB/Steelers,  that's brilliant! You won't be able to accurately discuss Brandon's legacy until after the 2020 season. In my book McB both get 4 full years.

He's had one draft. Let's give him more time before anointing him anything good or bad.

His effectiveness as a GM is directly tied to the results on the football field. If the Bills win, he'll be heralded, if the team loses, he'll be run out of town.

10 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Like that Beane and McDermott appear to work well together. From my perspective, Beane hasn't been on the job long enough to for a rating. Although I do like what he has done so far.

So far offensively they've been a disaster and the avoidance of further disaster depends 100% on Allen becoming a franchise QB.  

Defensively they've been OK, but signing guys like Lotolulei for what they gave him and this overreliance on ex-Carolinians hasn't been good.  Other than draft picks they really haven't added a whole lot that's notable, and in the front-7 they've added nothing apart from Edmunds and Milano.  Given that most of their resources have gone to the defense I had expected more.  

Like I said elsewhere, everyone looks at the sole indicator of the 2nd-ranked yardage D but completely ignores the same 18th-ranked scoring D that we had last year except with allowing one more point-per-game, coupled with the 30th-ranked red zone D and the worst red zone D that we've had since 2003 at least, and only stopping there because I couldn't find out red zone D rankings prior to that.  

Having said that, it would seem that perceptions, whatever they are, on average are greater than the actual status of the team, meaning that we overachieved this past season.  

Either way, the team overall is worse now than it was when they had it handed to them, at least from a talent perspective.  If after this season that hasn't changed, well, not sure how they avoid terminal criticism.  

If Allen doesn't become at least an above-average passer this season and if we don't win at least 9 games, McBeane will be "on-the-clock" as it were.  The problem there is that Allen's gotta make an enormous leap in his passing in order to be able to achieve that.  Not sure whether that's going to happen.  

Edited by TaskersGhost
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Irv said:

We have the 4th highest cap space available this year and are projected to have the highest in 2020. 

I'd also rather have little cap space and good players.  The good teams may have no cap space, but guess what?  

5 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

He can dismantle a team. Has yet to prove he can build one. Signs are looking good.

Agree on the first two points. 

On the third one, he's got quite a bit of building to do.  This team is far from playoff competitive and with essentially needs at every single position offensively, besides Allen, upon who he'll sink or swim, and quite a few needs in the front-7 on D, that's too much work to do in one offseason.  

He'll have to have an A+ draft, not according to the post-draft commentary, but in reality this coming season, if he wants to have a serious chance at saving his job.  

• Like (+1) 1