Is Beane The Best GM We Have Had Since Bill Polian?

Irv

We will see, the best things about Beane so far are:

1. He has a plan and he's executing the plan 

2. He seemingly had convictions on a QB and went and got him. 

3. Seems to attract and recruit good personnel folks

Now we need to find out if his plan was any good and whether he can execute on using all that cap space he created.

By the way, stop with the "the Bills have the most cap space in 2020" talk. It's irrelevant until they make all their 2019 free agent signings, draft picks and any trades. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Butler was good. Beane hasn’t accomplished more than him just yet. 

The next two seasons can cement the Beane legacy in either direction 

While I Iiked John Butler the person and hated that we lost him to cancer too early (at 56)  - he hurt this franchise immensely at the end of his tenure before his firing.

Traded for Rob Johnson, then put us in Cap Jail in 1999-2000 and drafted Erik Flowers as his last Rd 1 pick

Edited by freddyjj

time will tell, but signs are pointing that way. The whole AB thing has me miffed though. Why would any GM want a player who is that toxic, that worries me regarding Beane.

12 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

While I Iiked John Butler the person and hated that we lost him to cancer too early (at 56)  - he hurt this franchise immensely at the end of his tenure before his firing.

Traded for Rob Johnson, then put us in Cap Jail in 1999-2000 and drafted Erik Flowers as his last Rd 1 pick

And still captained a championship run. Despite all the bad, his successors were worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

And still captained a championship run. Despite all the bad, his successors were worse. 

Agreed, yes he did in 1993 with a bunch of players he helped assemble.  Unfortunately he couldn't find the next franchise QB - a fault all his successors have shared.

Let's hope Beane has found him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just like that we have a poker player now.  At the combine the Bills were talking about how traditional #1 wide receivers may not be the way the NFL is moving and then they kick the tires on AB

8 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Agreed, yes he did in 1993 with a bunch of players he helped assemble.  Unfortunately he couldn't find the next franchise QB - a fault all his successors have shared.

Let's hope Beane has found him.

I’ll drink to that... or because of how it turns out... ?‍♂️ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

He's in the conversation.  I'd rather wait to evaluate.  A little less than 2 years and one draft is not enough time to make that determination.

That bar is not exactly that high. He is already better than Nix, Russ, Levy. Who's left TD and Butler?

Edited by Reed83HOF

He’s definitely the first since Polian to not slap bandaids on the team, instead opted for a true rebuild. With that, He did an outstanding job cleaning the cap, now we will see how good he can build a team from scratch. If he does that half as good as he did managing the salary cap, then we have some great seasons coming in the near future.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

He's definitely better than Russ Brandon and Marv but it's too early for the anointing oil... I am hopeful though.

THIS!!!!

At the risk of routing the thread in a different direction. I think Buddy and Whaley were right around average GM's in the NFL. Beane has not done enough with this roster yet to say he is definitively better or worse than those two.

Here is to hoping he is. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They are 15-17 after 2 rebuilding seasons and at one point in year 2 of rebuilding they had one of the worst offenses since the late 70s.   

Jeremy White noted this morning that in 2018 the Bills had the lowest amount of money committed to the OL, WR, and TE positions.  They were behind SF at running back by 200k.

It may be a plan, but does anyone look at the Buffalo Bills a week or 2 from now and say they're a team contending for a division championship?  I don't. 

I like Josh Allen, but apart from him they've done practically nothing on offense and that's still where most games are won and lost.  McBeane's plan set back the rebuild process by at least a year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Yes - we've had some terrible GM's.  But,  he seems to have a solid plan in place.  We have the 4th highest cap space available this year and are projected to have the highest in 2020.  He arguably got the franchise QB we needed.  The fans seem engaged.  If we make the playoffs this year, I'd argue that he is one of the best GM's in the league and the best since Bills GM since Polian.   

I think that Butler was very talented but remember, with Mr. Wilson; his budget was not what the Pegulas would seem to be willing to spend.

That said, I agree with those who say that it is a low bar. Beane will probably wind up being at least twice as good as the rest of them, and 1,000x better than Levy who was unthinkably bad as a GM in every possible way.

• Like (+1) 1