What really happened: Beane trolled the Steelers and AB

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

You really think this happened don’t you?

Do I think Brandon Beane has the mental acuity to garner inside information by pretending to show interest in a pre-maddonna?? Yes I do!!  He did it in a way very similar to the above dialogue but left all teams (including the Steelers) holding their breath (and balls) for a few days. When the story leaked, Beane decided he learned enough about the Steelers and the draft intentions/values of the other 6 teams, and closed the door with a humble and complimentary press release (i.e. There is no question AB is a terrific athlete and we are unable to go further...blah blah blah). He must have been peeing his khakis while drafting that one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Where's the part of the story when this backfires and he ends up in New England for a 4th Rd pk. Lol

Give it a minute..........when PIT is desperate and Ernie Adams finally tells Bill "Get him now," it will happen. Ernie runs the show in the dark over there.

17 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Do I think Brandon Beane has the mental acuity to garner inside information by pretending to show interest in a pre-maddonna?? Yes I do!!  He did it in a way very similar to the above dialogue but left all teams (including the Steelers) holding their breath (and balls) for a few days. When the story leaked, Beane decided he learned enough about the Steelers and the draft intentions/values of the other 6 teams, and closed the door with a humble and complimentary press release (i.e. There is no question AB is a terrific athlete and we are unable to go further...blah blah blah). He must have been peeing his khakis while drafting that one.

Does he explain this to Poyer and his defensive back family, one of which (the cornerstone)  seemed pretty excited about the prospects of adding AB

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The utter lack of a sense of humor here is astounding. Is it a millennial thing??

It's like people are taking crazy pills, right?  We DO deserve to be embarrassed....

16 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

What we are all missing from the post is - - - Cobb Salad, Really?

It's got bacon AND bleu cheese in it, he gets a pass. Learn the rules, Sparky!

Edited by Tenhigh

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Does he explain this to Poyer and his defensive back family, one of which (the cornerstone)  seemed pretty excited about the prospects of adding AB

None of them know the difference.  The NFL is a business...and Beane commenced a hostile takeover and walked away unscathed....with great insider info to boot.

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Right off the bat, let's all agree, Brandon Beane is a brilliant fella.  He never intended to acquire a quitter, headcase, me first WR like AB.  Here's how it went down:

1) The Steelers knew we are in need of a WR. They set a deadline for teams to make offers by Friday.

2) Beane calls Steelers on Tuesday to ask "What are you looking for as compensation for the "highly respected" AB. The Steelers make some outrageous demand (ex. a 1st rounder this year and second rounder next year)

3) Beane says "Hmmm, that sounds pretty reasonable. Let me check with my owner and coach, etc"  Beane hangs up the phone and laughs "This will be fun"

4) Steelers start talking to other teams but keep Beane in mind. They call Beane back "Have you thought any more about it?"  Beane "Yeah, sure...how about first this year and a fourth next  year?"  Steelers "How about a first and third this year?"  Beane "Let me call you back."  He starts laughing again. No intention of signing AB whatsoever, but knows other teams are now being waved away by Steelers because they are about to get a sweet deal from Bills.

5) As the other teams walk away from negotiating, the Steelers start to get nervous...they give info to LaConjecture and RapReport.

6) Beane is busy eating a cob salad when the phone rings. Steelers: "Are we doing this?"  Beane: "Who is this?"

7) Beane issues statement about what a great player AB is and, unfortunately, they were unable to get a deal done.

Steelers are now left in a bad negotiating position because they spurned several other suitors. AB's price went down all thanks to Brandon Beane and the greatest "catfish" technique we will ever see.

This is a joke, right?  You don't believe Beane would waste his time and damage his reputation with your scenario?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

None of them know the difference.  The NFL is a business...and Beane commenced a hostile takeover and walked away unscathed....with great insider info to boot.

But Poyer knows Beane tried to trade for the enemy.  Shouldn’t Beane tell him that he was just trying to get info from the Steelers as to not ruin the locker room?

6 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

This is a joke, right?  You don't believe Beane would waste his time and damage his reputation with your scenario?

If anything he enhanced his reputation. I'm not saying he wrote on a billboard "I'M ABOUT TO TROLL THE STEELERS AND ANTONIO BROWN"...he simply took advantage of an opportunity to obtain information that helps our team. He had absolutely no intention of signing Antonio Brown...but the charade does two things: It makes the Bills look like a "player" in the NFL and (more importantly) it gives Beane a window into the vapid minds of his fellow GM's without giving away a single pizza roll in return.

Just now, NewEra said:

But Poyer knows Beane tried to trade for the enemy.  Shouldn’t Beane tell him that he was just trying to get info from the Steelers as to not ruin the locker room?

Poyer knows the NFL is a business just as much as Beane. It wouldn't surprise me to think Beane pulled Poyer aside today and said "Jordan, there was no way you were being dealt. I had to dangle a carrot and you were the best one we had. Go home and sleep well."

2 hours ago, billsfan28277 said:

Except that Beane would lose credibility with every team in the league and never get any favorable deal from anybody in the future.

You're exactly right.  If Beane pimped another GM as suggested, his ability to function in a very small circle of GM's and owners would become nonexistent.  This is all about AB's extremely high opinion of himself, wanting to hit the market as a free agent, and wanting to go to what he believes is a good situation.  AB's antics, demand for more money, and quitting on his team in week 17 aren't helping his cause.  He may be doing some of these things just to force the Steelers to cut him (something they say they won't do).  I'm glad the Bills are out.  A young team doesn't need this kind of drama.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why would Beane want to burn a bridge for future trade negotiations with the Steelers?

Burning a bridge implies that the "burnee" found out what the "burnor" did.  Beane will never admit to trolling but you and I know that's exactly what he did.

i don't understand our need to distort the very simple and easy to understand truth -- that we agreed to a deal with the Steelers with the understanding of what it might take to extend Brown, only to have his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, leak the trade and force an ugly extension negotiation pre-trade which we balked at -- so that we can make up silly alternate realities for ourselves which paint everyone involved to be idiots. It's so insecure. If this was meant to be a joke, then I guess I missed it.   

Edited by VW82

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

All the while,  the world laughs at Buffalo.

walked into work today, in Las Vegas, and 7 co workers have gone out of their way to approach me and laugh about the situation.  

Edit:  I’ve been at work for 2 hours and 10 minutes 

If the Vegas trolls want a real laugh, they should take a look at the roster that they will be inheriting in 2020.  They need to keep their sense of humor because their Raiders are running full speed down the tracks to a train wreck.  They had to trade K. Mack because the owner didn't have the cash to come up with the upfront money to keep him.  Hoping that Chuckie is going to build them a winner is pathetic.  Tell your coworkers to keep laughing and that you will have the last laugh.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Brandon Beane and the greatest "catfish" technique we will ever see.

I think some of what you said actually transpired.

But I seriously doubt Brandon was out to seriously toy with anybody. One GM trolling another would be anathema to that Gentlemen's Club known as NFL GMs. Brandon Beane seems to be onboard with the Gentlemen's Club--I doubt he wants the reputation of being a trickster.

Buffalo has enough problems attracting players---compounding that problem be being a shady dealer would not be a good business decision.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If the Vegas trolls want a real laugh, they should take a look at the roster that they will be inheriting in 2020.  They need to keep their sense of humor because their Raiders are running full speed down the tracks to a train wreck.  They had to trade K. Mack because the owner didn't have the cash to come up with the upfront money to keep him.  Hoping that Chuckie is going to build them a winner is pathetic.  Tell your coworkers to keep laughing and that you will have the last laugh.

Everyone is from somewhere else.  None are raider fans 

Here is the reality of what happened:

Talks were dead Wed morning.  

Steelers very publicly said Friday is the goal and would take offers until Friday morning.  Market for Brown is minimal between contract, age, and recent PR issues.

Thursday night, someone on Steelers side leaks the Bills talks to try and create some urgency, last minute bidders, and up the overall interest and trade value.  

Friday...Steelers have little options, Bills passed and refused to over pay and had already moved on.  

WIN:  Beane and the Bills.  

LOSE:  Steelers as they dont have a lot of options left and are going to get more desperate to move him before they take the extra cap hit.  

• Like (+1) 2