What really happened: Beane trolled the Steelers and AB

Right off the bat, let's all agree, Brandon Beane is a brilliant fella.  He never intended to acquire a quitter, headcase, me first WR like AB.  Here's how it went down:

1) The Steelers knew we are in need of a WR. They set a deadline for teams to make offers by Friday.

2) Beane calls Steelers on Tuesday to ask "What are you looking for as compensation for the "highly respected" AB. The Steelers make some outrageous demand (ex. a 1st rounder this year and second rounder next year)

3) Beane says "Hmmm, that sounds pretty reasonable. Let me check with my owner and coach, etc"  Beane hangs up the phone and laughs "This will be fun"

4) Steelers start talking to other teams but keep Beane in mind. They call Beane back "Have you thought any more about it?"  Beane "Yeah, sure...how about first this year and a fourth next  year?"  Steelers "How about a first and third this year?"  Beane "Let me call you back."  He starts laughing again. No intention of signing AB whatsoever, but knows other teams are now being waved away by Steelers because they are about to get a sweet deal from Bills.

5) As the other teams walk away from negotiating, the Steelers start to get nervous...they give info to LaConjecture and RapReport.

6) Beane is busy eating a cob salad when the phone rings. Steelers: "Are we doing this?"  Beane: "Who is this?"

7) Beane issues statement about what a great player AB is and, unfortunately, they were unable to get a deal done.

Steelers are now left in a bad negotiating position because they spurned several other suitors. AB's price went down all thanks to Brandon Beane and the greatest "catfish" technique we will ever see.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 24
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Or, Beane saw an elite talent available at a huge position of need.

AB doesn’t want to come here.

Deal falls through.

Unfortunately, that’s like what happened.  

BUT, I will say this.  I do not fault Beane one bit for this.  He saw an opportunity to land a top talent and he tried.  There is absolutely nothing to be upset about regarding Beane.  If we are going to be upset, we have two options here.....

1: Be upset with Brown (this is where I am).  I think it’s ridiculous that a guy doesn’t want to play with a HOF QB, a winning franchise, then gets his chance to leave town and he turns it down.

2: Be upset at Rapaport for breaking the story before it was a done deal.  If a trade was in the works and it was never reported (unlikely to ever happen this way in this day and age), we wouldn’t have woken up to numerous tweets and posts about buffalo being a terrible place to play and live.  

• Like (+1) 11

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Right off the bat, let's all agree, Brandon Beane is a brilliant fella.  He never intended to acquire a quitter, headcase, me first WR like AB.  Here's how it went down:

1) The Steelers knew we are in need of a WR. They set a deadline for teams to make offers by Friday.

2) Beane calls Steelers on Tuesday to ask "What are you looking for as compensation for the "highly respected" AB. The Steelers make some outrageous demand (ex. a 1st rounder this year and second rounder next year)

3) Beane says "Hmmm, that sounds pretty reasonable. Let me check with my owner and coach, etc"  Beane hangs up the phone and laughs "This will be fun"

4) Steelers start talking to other teams but keep Beane in mind. They call Beane back "Have you thought any more about it?"  Beane "Yeah, sure...how about first this year and a fourth next  year?"  Steelers "How about a first and third this year?"  Beane "Let me call you back."  He starts laughing again. No intention of signing AB whatsoever, but knows other teams are now being waved away by Steelers because they are about to get a sweet deal from Bills.

5) As the other teams walk away from negotiating, the Steelers start to get nervous...they give info to LaConjecture and RapReport.

6) Beane is busy eating a cob salad when the phone rings. Steelers: "Are we doing this?"  Beane: "Who is this?"

7) Beane issues statement about what a great player AB is and, unfortunately, they were unable to get a deal done.

Steelers are now left in a bad negotiating position because they spurned several other suitors. AB's price went down all thanks to Brandon Beane and the greatest "catfish" technique we will ever see.

Whatever you need to believe 

1 minute ago, billsfan28277 said:

Except that Beane would lose credibility with every team in the league and never get any favorable deal from anybody in the future.

Do you seriously think he would ever admit to doing this? Of course not...but it happened so we can enjoy it.  Bravo Senor Beaner!

• Haha (+1) 3

From everything I've read I believe the Bills and Steelers had a deal in place.  I say this because it's been well known that the Steelers haven't allowed any team to negotiate directly with AB.  Yet, the Bills are reported to have reached out to AB's agent and discuss him coming to Buffalo. For the Steelers to allow that says something.   Sounds like during that conversation it was established that AB would not report to Buffalo if they traded for him.  So Beane backed out.

I truly believe compensation was close to being finalized, but the Bills wanted to make sure AB would report.  AB is such a headcase BB probably didn't want the drama.

Although I've thought from day 1 that there was no way the Bills would even entertain an offer for AB, it's good to hear that BB is doing anything and everything to improve this team.

This also sends a message out to the entire league that the Bills are open for business, and if you have a player/star that your looking to move, give us a call.

Can't help but love that.

• Like (+1) 5

Yes, I agree, that must have been exactly what happened. Certainly there is an abundance of hard, tangible evidence supporting this conjecture. And as for the notion that our GM tried to make a deal but the numbers and other factors just didn't match up so he pulled out? Bah. Too simple. Too basic. Too common sense.

• Haha (+1) 1

The Steelers might have set a general deadline but that is where this hypothesis runs out of gas.  In this situation it is open bidding just like an auction.  If somebody fields what Pittsburgh thinks is a fair offer then they might call Beans and say "We just got offered X, can you do Y?"  The key word here is might.  They could just as easily say to the other bidder "done and done."  If the need and fit are great enough I would think that any team would get over the cat and mouse game to take care of its needs.  Hopefully, your OP was meant to be tongue and cheek.

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1

probably not a good idea to troll GMs you have to make deals with in the future lol. You're supposed to be amicable.. chummy if you will to keep the door open for negotiations.

Pretty funny but.. super juvenile.

2 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

From everything I've read I believe the Bills and Steelers had a deal in place.  I say this because it's been well known that the Steelers haven't allowed any team to negotiate directly with AB.  Yet, the Bills are reported to have reached out to AB's agent and discuss him coming to Buffalo. For the Steelers to allow that says something.   Sounds like during that conversation it was established that AB would not report to Buffalo if they traded for him.  So Beane backed out.

I truly believe compensation was close to being finalized, but the Bills wanted to make sure AB would report.  AB is such a headcase BB probably didn't want the drama.

Although I've thought from day 1 that there was no way the Bills would even entertain an offer for AB, it's good to hear that BB is doing anything and everything to improve this team.

This also sends a message out to the entire league that the Bills are open for business, and if you have a player/star that your looking to move, give us a call.

Can't help but love that.

Yes, but I believe THIS is the equally true alternate universe thread.  ?

8 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

Or, Beane saw an elite talent available at a huge position of need.

AB doesn’t want to come here.

Deal falls through.

Unfortunately, that’s like what happened.  

BUT, I will say this.  I do not fault Beane one bit for this.  He saw an opportunity to land a top talent and he tried.  There is absolutely nothing to be upset about regarding Beane.  If we are going to be upset, we have two options here.....

1: Be upset with Brown (this is where I am).  I think it’s ridiculous that a guy doesn’t want to play with a HOF QB, a winning franchise, then gets his chance to leave town and he turns it down.

2: Be upset at Rapaport for breaking the story before it was a done deal.  If a trade was in the works and it was never reported (unlikely to ever happen this way in this day and age), we wouldn’t have woken up to numerous tweets and posts about buffalo being a terrible place to play and live.  

This.

Beane saw a chance to acquire a true #1 WR and took it.  Bills and Steelers had parameters of a deal in place.  Steelers tell Rapaport.  Bills reach out to Rosenhaus / AB to make sure all would be ok.  Rosenhause / AB runs to Schefter to blow it up.  Beane says "eff this" and walks.  Twitter makes fun of the Bills, instead of AB or the Steelers, because that's what it does.

• Like (+1) 4