REPORT: Steelers trading Antonio Brown to Bills! - Per Ian Rapoport (Hold up....maybe, maybe not....) EDIT: DEAL NOT HAPPENING PER BRANDON BEANE - UPDATE: Traded to Raiders

sven233

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

There were several teams that inquired. The reason is because at the time the teams knew that he may or may not get that money. He’s got a lot of issues to where the risk is there on the guaranteed money. He either plays for someone, or sits out and makes nothing. It only takes one team but it took this long because it was a a very difficult deal to make. Of course they inquired. 

It’s not 2.8 more. It’s 30 mill more. AB’s former contract wasn’t guaranteed. That’s the crux of the entire thing. And he’s got a ton of issues which bring risk so it adds to the balance of what you are willing to give to and how much you are willing to guarantee. There is a reason he only went for a 3rd/5th.

Good analysis — https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/10/antonio-brown-trade-oakland-raiders-offense-derek-carr

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Best Bills free agent class by A LOT was the Paup/Washington/Jeffcoat haul after the 1994 season.   Paup in particular was a top of class free agent coming off a Pro Bowl year.

Next offseason was also big.......... Quinn Early was the prize WR in FA and he signed with Buffalo and Chris Spielman was another huge signing that offseason.   

Joe Panos was another pricey signing after the 1997 season.

The Bills were plenty aggressive in free agency in the 1990's and there were no Star Lotulelei-like over-market overpays because players weren't sacrificing individual or team success when coming to Buffalo.

And never once was it uttered "oh man why would he want to go to Buffalo?" in the media because the Bills were the winningest team in the NFL in the 1990's.

The Bills signed Paup for what I recall as being 7.8 million over 3 years. The GM of Green Bay later called letting go of Paup the worst decision of his professional career.

Panos was a good guard....for about 6 or 8 games. Then his entire body seemed to break down. :(

AB is going to find out the difference between having a Hall of Fame QB that keeps plays alive forever and allowing his receivers to come open as a result vs. the overrated Derek Carr. It’s a night and day difference. 

7 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

It's surprising that the Steelers didn't come away with one of the Raiders' 1st round picks.  

Not at all. His market value was limited. 

• Like (+1) 2

What a sorry end to the saga. Brown is an ultra talented player but yet another questionable character to have on a team. I am sick to death of players saying they don't want to come to Buffalo (and this case from Pittsburgh no less). Then Brown is ok with Oakland? lame duck franchise moving to a new city with no history? Whatever dbag!

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Did Tyrod ***** your wife or something?

Ah. Too bad.

Really hope McBeane maintains an aggressive behavior in signing/trading for a bonafide number one veteran WR.

There's not a "bonafide number one" available in FA and there's a strong likelihood there's not another one available via trade at anywhere near a reasonable cost.

3 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

What a sorry end to the saga. Brown is an ultra talented player but yet another questionable character to have on a team. I am sick to death of players saying they don't want to come to Buffalo (and this case from Pittsburgh no less). Then Brown is ok with Oakland? lame duck franchise moving to a new city with no history? Whatever dbag!

We didn't want to pay that contract, that's the bottom line.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

On 3/8/2019 at 6:51 AM, formerlyofCtown said:

You do realize we will spend about 50 mil of that cap.

Right, but we can get two stud interior linemen, and a WR, and still have $ for next year.  Don’t forget we need draft $ 9.34 mil. Per SPOTRAC, and every team that is wise keeps an insurance f7n for either UDFA, or injuries for replacements, $7-8 mil.  We also need probably $20-25 mil. For e tensions next year and stay cap friendly.

30 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Right, but we can get two stud interior linemen, and a WR, and still have $ for next year.  Don’t forget we need draft $ 9.34 mil. Per SPOTRAC, and every team that is wise keeps an insurance f7n for either UDFA, or injuries for replacements, $7-8 mil.  We also need probably $20-25 mil. For e tensions next year and stay cap friendly.

Im not sure the exact figure but we have to spend a certain amount, we have no choice.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:55 AM, CuddyDark said:

You can believe whatever you want but the Bills had to go into the deal at the start knowing AB wanted to get paid because he said so on national TV. It's more likely AB laughed at the idea of being on the Bills.

"You know what? I don’t know that there was ever an option for us quite frankly," Rosenhaus said. "We never got in that position and it really wasn’t something that was up to us to decide. I don’t think the Steelers and the Bills were able to work something out.”

Brown didn't turn down the Bills. 

1 minute ago, MPT said:

"You know what? I don’t know that there was ever an option for us quite frankly," Rosenhaus said. "We never got in that position and it really wasn’t something that was up to us to decide. I don’t think the Steelers and the Bills were able to work something out.”

Brown didn't turn down the Bills. 

Agent...

Image result for spin gif

1 hour ago, TOboy said:

Agent...

Image result for spin gif

I mean, yeah, Rosenhaus could be lying. I still think it's most likely that the Bills weren't willing to pay as much as the Raiders. But still, the idea that Brown simply wouldn't come to Buffalo is pure speculation and overly pessimistic. There's no evidence for it whatsoever. It's not like Brown would be afraid to mince words about it if that's how he felt.