REPORT: Steelers trading Antonio Brown to Bills! - Per Ian Rapoport (Hold up....maybe, maybe not....) EDIT: DEAL NOT HAPPENING PER BRANDON BEANE - UPDATE: Traded to Raiders

sven233

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This post will be largely ignored in this giant thread, but if you follow this story, you will see that the deal fell apart b/c Brown refused to come to Buffalo.

This is a serious problem for this organization and, contrary to popular opinion at this forum, the Bills cannot overcome this simply by throwing around money.  Everyone has money to throw around, and for many, Buffalo is regarded as the worst landing spot in the league.  If not dead last, certainly bottom 3.

BS there was never a deal.   

We arent stupid enough to trade for an old WR. We got rid of a bunch of "stars" 2 years ago why would bring another one in??

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Unfortunately, if the Steelers can’t trade him, AB will most likely be released and become an UFA, which is exactly what he’s wanted all along.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Steelers play this.  Obviously no one will touch Brown at Pittsburgh’s price and for the money he thinks he deserves.

The Steelers will lower their asking price by end of next week, when they have to pay Brown a roster bonus btwn $2.5-4M, depending on who you believe.

Whatever Brown/Rosenhaus want is fairly irrelevant.  Although both would like to make more money from the trade, I don’t see it.  Brown is damaged goods and, so far, no one wants him.  Even as a UFA, I don’t see him getting a raise.

17 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Yes, because we are the only team with cap space. Forgot about that. Gotta find folks to fit that locker room culture. I guess I should check the free agents to see what Carolina receivers are available. And by fine, I assume you mean 7-9, because that seems to be the gold standard at One Bills Drive.

So...they just tired to sign a guy who didn’t fit the culture, and now you’re complaining that they only want guys that fit the culture?

it didn’t work out. It happens. 

Edited by teef
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

So did this really fall apart because AB refused to play here? If so, that's not great for us. I'm happy the trade didn't happen, but it's yet another reminder that we struggle to bring in quality players when they are given a choice. The fact that AB reportedly said he wouldn't report to the team if traded here is not a great thought.

Sounds like we were negotiating and he wanted more money than OBJ (I am assuming Tyreek as well). According to Albert Breer, we did not want to pay that much...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Based on the SI article, the trade fell apart due to money, not Brown's unwillingness to play for the Bills.  

It's probably a little bit of both.  Probably takes a bit more money to accept the trade to Buffalo, over say  San Fran.

It's just the reality of where we are right now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

It's probably a little bit of both.  Probably takes a bit more money to accept the trade to Buffalo, over say  San Fran.

It's just the reality of where we are right now.

I think that this is fair. There is “a” reason that this didn’t happen. There are “reasons.” If the Billls told Antonio Brown, “We will give you 5 years, $100M and $45M guaranteed” he’d be on the Bills.

2 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

So you believe everything about the potential trade is true except the compensation? Beane is a bad GM for even attempting to trade anything more than a 3rd for AB. This looks worse than Whaley trading for Watkins. Good for us AB doesn't want to play for the Bills.

Everything is speculation, none of us know the exact parameters of the trade. I didn’t want AB coming here either but if he did it wouldnt of been the end of the world. Beane walked away- know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Beane folded and were moving on. This doesnt make him a bad manager. 

13 minutes ago, teef said:

So...they just tired to sign a guy who didn’t fit the culture, and now you’re complaining that they only want guys that fit the culture?

it didn’t work out. It happens. 

Exactly Teefarooski!!! 

Edited by billsfan_34

15 minutes ago, MTLBills said:

Hence why it is really important that Josh takes big time strides this year.

However, I do think the weather/city shortcomings are seriously overblown... The facilities, coaches, team culture, camaraderie and the fans are all top notch, and if anyone is making a choice based on anything other than those aspects (aside from $, which we have), then I don't want them on my team anyway!

The thing that drives me nuts about people knocking the city of Buffalo is that you never hear the same sort of crap about Cincy, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, all of which are EASILY as "bad" as Buffalo. And as for the cold weather, people never seem to complain about Green Bay being "Siberia", despite the fact that I'd be willing to bet it has more snow games than Buffalo or at least an equal amount.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

The thing that drives me nuts about people knocking the city of Buffalo is that you never hear the same sort of crap about Cincy, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh, all of which are EASILY as "bad" as Buffalo. And as for the cold weather, people never seem to complain about Green Bay being "Siberia", despite the fact that I'd be willing to bet it has more snow games than Buffalo or at least an equal amount.

Well, Cincy is the cheapest team in the league so they never pursue a FA anyone cares about.  Cleveland has certainly gotten the same amount of flack as the Bills have but now with Baker they are everyone's new favorite team.  Pittsburgh and Green Bay have been Super Bowl champs (semi) recently.  The organization has put itself in position to be the butt of these jokes, bottom line.  It doesn't mean some "writer" who makes $30k a year and lives off ramen while living in a friends garage in "beautiful" LA needs to be taking every cheap shot at the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Well, Cincy is the cheapest team in the league so they never pursue a FA anyone cares about.  Cleveland has certainly gotten the same amount of flack as the Bills have but now with Baker they are everyone's new favorite team.  Pittsburgh and Green Bay have been Super Bowl champs (semi) recently.  The organization has put itself in position to be the butt of these jokes, bottom line.  It doesn't mean some "writer" who makes $30k a year and lives off ramen while living in a friends garage in "beautiful" LA needs to be taking every cheap shot at the Bills.

If the cheap shots were only at he Bills its understandable but their at the city of a lot of the time which is the frustrating part.

I actually think theres a non-zero (although unlikely) chance that we still get Brown. A guy like McCoy can get on the phone and maybe convince AB that Buffalo isnt bad and McCoy loves Allen so he may persuade him to give Buffalo a try. And the Steelers likely would prefer that cause we offered the best deal. The other teams rumored in the running arent exactly inspiring (Raiders, Redskins, Titans etc). Unless he really likes the idea of Vegas, which would make some sense. But from a team perspective I think were equal with the other teams willing to make a deal.

Wow has to be the fastest growing thread of all time.  

I awoke last night around 4am and couldn't go back to sleep so turned on my tablet and saw the news.  SHOCKED! 

When I saw that it was not done and AB's Fake News take I realized it was likely not coming to fruition.  I fell asleep again and awoke to see Beane's statement saying OBD had moved on.

So my takeaways from all this:

1. Beane and McD have prioritized improving the WR position.  This is key as when OBD was faced with same issue last year all they did prior to season was sign a JAG in Kerley and drafted 2 smurfs in Rd 7.   They must see the need for a veteran WR that can have immediate impact this year.  This is a good development.
  2. The locker room must be sensing that 2019 is not a rebuild year as they see management looking to add a difference maker of the largest magnitude.  OBD has to try and win now in Josh Allen's rookie deal.
  3. Look for the Bills to add Vets at OL, TE and WR in FA or trade before 3/13 as today the Bills have lowest payroll at all 3 positions.  Beane is aggressive and will move on to next priority.

Personally not a fan of AB.  So not upset.   Glad we didn't have to rewrite a deal to get him here and restart the cap jail engine!

And I am old enough to remember the last Steeler's WR who came here - Frank Lewis - who had some good years here (270 catches for 4600 yds and 24 TDs) alongside Jerry Butler in the late 70's early 80's.  By the way he was also 31 when Bills picked him up in 1978!

Edited by freddyjj

26 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Based on the SI article, the trade fell apart due to money, not Brown's unwillingness to play for the Bills.  

Yeah, it just doesn't make any sense to part with valuable draft picks and then have to turn around and pay Brown like he's an unrestricted FA. I don't think any team is going to be willing to do that.

16 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Everything is speculation, none of us know the exact parameters of the trade. I didn’t want AB coming here either but if he did it wouldnt of been the end of the world. Beane walked away- know when to hold em, know when to fold em. Beane folded and were moving on. This doesnt make him a bad manager. 

You want it to be Beane walked away but it's more likely Beane was rejected.

If AB backed out, he made a mistake. I think we're on the path to being pretty good.  If we backed out because we wouldn't overpay then we're smart. That's how you create the path. Decisions have to be dispassionate. I think Beane is smart...takes chances but doesn't go overboard.