REPORT: Steelers trading Antonio Brown to Bills! - Per Ian Rapoport (Hold up....maybe, maybe not....) EDIT: DEAL NOT HAPPENING PER BRANDON BEANE - UPDATE: Traded to Raiders

sven233

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

I think you're reading too much into it.  AB is a PITA, that's the problem.  Screw him.

No I am not.  Seeing it was a TO anniversary.  Look at him.

Came here, TGTS way down  Left TGTS back up

WRs come to this place to Die.

When was the last time we had a highly TGTed WR?

Just now, Rockpile233 said:

Tough not to get a little offended on just how hard people go at Buffalo nationally when a big name player is linked here. Their loss though, great place to live.

I wouldn’t blame a players perception being negative as the Bills have been an abysmal franchise most of my life. Consistent winning is all that can overcome that.

Glad to see they kicked the tires on a talented player though.

Good post. Yes, our biggest searched games are blizzard games, which certainly doesn’t bode well for skill players contemplating Buffalo. We only have one of those every 24/36 home games, but it’s what we’re known for.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Woodman19 said:

We can build an offense around others. We are building to win a Superbowl, not to appease specific star players.

Ahhh yeah the typical Mantra, said by every GM everywhere.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

And that COMPLETELY missed the point.

Point I am making it is less about the City, more about the Offense this Bills team has elected to run since the K-Gun days. with the old school run first play defense because the weather gets bad.

I mean - I think they would like to?  I think last year was about getting the QB they wanted.  Doug Whaley called it "QB purgatory" - and beane made moves to acquire picks in a draft that was rich with QBs and got their guy.  Whether he's the right guy - whatever. 

Hopefully this year they are using the cap space, and additional draft capital to make a few moves to improve the offense.  I don't know that you can totally overhaul it in a year - but the bears took a few shots last year and it really helped Trubiskey.  Hopefully Daboll opens things up a bit more, gets his backs involved in the passing game, and starts actually attacking on offense.  Instead of just... running the ball and trying not to lose.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Not wrong.  Bottom 5 in pass attempts at least hte last 3 years.  I don't feel like continuing to click so i assume it's been like that for a long time.

Just now, dneveu said:

I mean - I think they would like to?  I think last year was about getting the QB they wanted.  Doug Whaley called it "QB purgatory" - and beane made moves to acquire picks in a draft that was rich with QBs and got their guy.  Whether he's the right guy - whatever. 

Hopefully this year they are using the cap space, and additional draft capital to make a few moves to improve the offense.  I don't know that you can totally overhaul it in a year - but the bears took a few shots last year and it really helped Trubiskey.  Hopefully Daboll opens things up a bit more, gets his backs involved in the passing game, and starts actually attacking on offense.  Instead of just... running the ball and trying not to lose.

But haven't we Really been singing that same Mantra about the offense since the 90s?

So looking at how inept this passing offense has been for decades can anyone really hate on a WR not wanting to play here?  From Sammy, to Woods, to Brown, to Boldin etc etc

50 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I cant envision Beane coming out and saying the deals done only to circle back and make it happen, especially with a guy who clearly doesn't want to play here.

I would just say never say never.  Always a bad practice in business and in life to completely turn off an option when it first doesn't make sense.  Better deal, better situation.

When was the last time we had a QB that could use a WR?  We have one now, and AB is too dumb to see what is being built.  Couldn't care less about the TO anniversary; completely different time, we were wondering through the wilderness and no way were in a position to utilize him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sven233 said:

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 6s6 seconds ago

Sources: The #Steelers are closing in on a deal to send star WR Antonio Brown to the Buffalo #Bills. There it is.

Holy ****

UPDATE: Brandon Beane himself said that while they're were serious talks, a deal is NOT happening after all. It was a fun few hours anyway. Ian Rapoport just took a serious credibility hit. 

AB would destroy the Bills' locker room. Imagine what he would do to your young QB. He pouts when he doesn't get the ball even when the Steelers were winning. He quit on his team because he wasn't voted team MVP! As much as the rest of the AFCE would love to see that disaster, it was never going to happen. Be thankful...

• Like (+1) 5

I live on the west coast, so I woke up to all of this news. It was a real roller coaster of emotion.

Co-worker as I walked into work, sleepy at 6am: Hey Mr Antonio Brown!

Me: What ?!

Co-worker: You guys traded for Antonio Brown!

Me: [furiously typing "Antonio Brown" into Google]

Top three headlines, in order: "Bills have deal in place to acquire Antonio Brown"; "Antonio Brown is still a Steeler because he didn't want to be a Bill"; "Bills GM says Bills have pulled out of trade talks".

I went from knowing nothing about it, to thinking the Bills had acquired him, to seeing that they hadn't because he didn't want to come to Buffalo, in the span of a minute. 

Roller coaster.

Edited by Logic
  • Haha (+1) 4

AB has done us a favor and let us know why he would have been a terrible addition to the Bills.  The man has NO imagination. 

Sure there are better football destinations then Buffalo on the surface.  But dig down a bit and AB would have seen that the Bills are a team with a young QB who just might be elite.  Even better this QB is a gun slinger which is what EVERY top WR should want.   Dig a little further and he would have found a team with a very good defense, solid owners & coaching, and a lot of cap room to sign more then just his expensive ass.

If he'd have kept on digging he would have noticed that Buffalo is an alright place and that as he entered the later stages of his career he could have revisited the college experience with passionate fans making a Bills game more like an SEC clash then a pro game.  But alas he appears to have the imagination of a rock.  The thought of him coming to Buffalo and bitching & moaning when Allen missed him on a pass or when he saw a snow flurry in October would be truly depressing.  Much better that we draft our own late round WR gem. 

But haven't we Really been singing that same Mantra about the offense since the 90s?

So looking at how inept this passing offense has been for decades can anyone really hate on a WR not wanting to play here?  From Sammy, to Woods, to Brown, to Boldin etc etc

Yep.  I don't mind a team that runs the ball.  But do it for a reason.  Like if you play say - the cardinals.  Who have the worst rush defense in the NFL.  The strategy should dictate in that game that you can probably just run it to either take a lead or keep a lead.  

But when you're playing a team like KC or the Rams or NE.  The strategy dictates that you need to get first downs, stay on the field, and score points.  Not - get a lead and run it til the games over.  You have to be able to do this to win.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

When was the last time we had a QB that could use a WR?  We have one now, and AB is too dumb to see what is being built.  Couldn't care less about the TO anniversary; completely different time, we were wondering through the wilderness and no way were in a position to utilize him.

Hmmm Fitz and Winston - ummm yeah nothing to write home about High Volume Passing Offense.

And do we, I hope Josh improves but he ummm does more damage with his legs than arm at this point.

It fine keep you head in the sand.  This passing offense has been trash for decades and players see that.  See Sammy, Robert Woods, Chris Hogan, TO, Boldin, and the list can go on and on, 

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I disagree.  I don't think a decent (not great) RT and C in FA combined with AB would have made the Bills serious contenders.  First, Allen is still very inexperienced, the OL really needs 3-4 new starters, there isn't a TE on the roster and the RBs are all old. 

Now, I am not saying that all needs to be fixed (or can be fixed) this offseason, but the cupboard is really mostly bare on offense at the moment.  If they can sign a couple of OL that are competent starters in FA and add another in the 1st or 2nd in the draft, then that would be progress.  They don't have enough high picks in this draft to really make the offense over - especially if they decide to take a DL in the 1st (because they may well be BPA).

A few additions will help a lot because the offense was so devoid of talent last year, but there is a long way to go to get to a very good offense.

Two off-seasons of rebuilding and "the cupboard is really mostly bare on offense at the moment?" 

The more I see of McBeane is they are conventional thinkers who now realize they need to start taking risks.  Fine.  They realize, through looking at trading for AB, that might need to deviate from "the process." 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

AB would destroy the Bills' locker room. Imagine what he would do to your young QB. He pouts when he doesn't get the ball even when the Steelers were winning. He quit on his team because he wasn't voted team MVP! As much as the rest of the AFCE would love to see that disaster, it was never going to happen. Be thankful...

If we can't handle one "diva" in the locker room, our locker room is already dead.

• Like (+1) 1