REPORT: Steelers trading Antonio Brown to Bills! - Per Ian Rapoport (Hold up....maybe, maybe not....) EDIT: DEAL NOT HAPPENING PER BRANDON BEANE - UPDATE: Traded to Raiders

sven233

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I had a feeling they were going to swing for the fences on trading for a proven WR. I don’t think this will be the last one we see them pursue. 

It clearly looks like that. I could see them turning their attention to Julio or AJ Green. I think that the cost in either of them is much higher though. Would a swap of 1sts and our 2nd round pick get a deal done for Julio? On the old draft value chart that’s the equivalent of pick 24. In the new draft value chart that is somewhere between picks 28-29. The question is would the equivalent of a late 1st get it done? I’m not sure that those teams are that motivated to get it done. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I didn't think there was anyway that the Bills would be in on AB and I wasn't initially thrilled with acquiring a 31 year old WR but I got caught up in the moment like a lot of other people and it would have been a good acquisition, depending on the compensation. It's not "eternal optimism", it's sports entertainment and it was exciting around here at a level that it hasn't been in quite some time. I can't control what the team does or doesn't do, I just hope that whatever they do turns out for the best like any fan would/should. If you don't or can't understand that then I'm not going to try to make you. Jealousy will do nothing but twist you up inside. It's a wasted emotion. I'm trying not to be rude, but I wonder what's going on with you to make you feel like you do...

You're right it is entertainment. Maybe I'm different in how I react. If the Bills have a tough last second loss or blow a game, I'll turn off football, buffalo radio or whatever and move onto something else. So in my response I look at it as being optimistic. In regards to free agency, this is like a bad loss. I don't wanna hear anything about football. I'll probably check out for a bit after today. If I liked a show, but don't like it, I'll stop watching it. The beauty about sports is you'll always come back.

Ugh! Ugh!

What a missed opportunity for Allen and this Franchise.

really really stinks to get that close to a game breaking receiver.

you want to talk about expectations and taking that next step (like many teams do in year 2)...Brown would have been a Jet Pack to the next level and really been a kick in the butt to the mind set of this franchise.

its nice to see Beane and McD are thinking Big and what to take big swings.

would have loved to make contact on this one

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Antonio Brown is arguably the best wide receiver in the NFL. You want the best players on your team. You build cap space to be able to afford those players. But in a league where talent is the most important thing, McDermott and Beane opted to build a culture instead of a contender. Free agents, especially those wanting to win in the near future, are going to question the commitment of the Bills willingness to build a contender. That is what I got out of this. We have the money, we have the roster space, and we have one hell of a fan base, but for some reason, none of the top players want to play for the Bills.

Please.  You don't know that NONE of the top players want to play here.

I've been watching this team for 30 years and we've rarely had trouble convincing Free Agents to come here, when we were willing to shell out the money they were looking for.  There have been several times we managed to grab players who were Top 5-10 targets around the league (Mario Williams, Bryce Paup, Chris Spielman, Ted Washington, Sam Adams, Takeo Spikes).

I agree that SOME of the top players don't want to play here.  And a big-headed, egotistical idiot like Antonio Brown who believes the entire world revolves around him, is part of that group.  Oh well.  My thing is, anyone with that kind of attitude is probably not a good thing for a young and growing team.

Everybody is different.  If I was an NFL player, I would do everything in my power to avoid ending up in certain cities.  I would hate living in New York City or anywhere in California.  Those places are not my style.  I'm also not sure I could convince myself to play for a coach like Bill Belichick. 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

up until this past season, his behavior was fine....he was the best WR in the league

Have you seen any of his recent interviews? He does seem like he lost his mind somewhere during all of this. 

I don’t think it’s a big loss, he was just as likely to stunt Allen’s growth with his own self serving personality as he was to help it with his on the field talent.

The move would have moved the entertainment needle to the max, it was exciting to think about but I’m not sure it changes things going forward. 

And why does everyone assume it has to do with the city itself. There really isn’t a big difference between Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Buffalo. If you really think that, then clearly you haven’t been to many places or have a incurable case of self-hate. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Bingo

I 100% believe the narrative Brown wants a new contract on the team he picks.  He's going to force the Steelers to release him.  The Titans / Redskins smelled it out and pulled out before they let it get reported to the point of essentially Brown nixing an agreed upon trade.  We got used by Rosenhaus / AB and now end up the butt of jokes throughout the entire league because of it, likely through no fault of our own.

Just now, Chemical said:

How do all the homers feel about Beane now that he was about to trade for Brown who they consider a cancer? I'm seeing a lot of cognitive dissonance where people are bashing Brown but ignoring the fact that Beane traded for him only to have Brown nix the deal.

Like I said earlier.

I'm happy Beane did his due-diligence and explored what it would take to add Brown.

I'm not happy that Beane was willing to offer more than 30 other GMs.

• Like (+1) 1

didn't he say in a recent interview he doesn't even need to play football?  Fine.  The Steelers should just tell him he has a contract, and if chooses not to honor it then they will suspend him for as long as he decides not to show up, and that any chance of him being traded is out the window.  I would have liked to have a talent like him on the Bills, but clearly his ego is getting in the way at this point.

• Like (+1) 2