Nick Boyle may have set the FA TE market

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I wonder if this takes Baltimore out of the Dwayne Allen sweepstakes.

It definitely should. They’re fully loaded at tight end now. 

Also I don’t think this sets the market really. 

Baltimore values him quite high for the gimmick run offense they are going to run. 

He would not have seen that much in free agency. Jesse James might be close to the same number, but as others have said it’s all about the guarantees 

36 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

1st of all, it’s not any of our money. No one is asking for contributions from fans aside from ticket sales. 

This is a terrible argument.  Everyone knows its not our money, however overpaying players affects the salary cap, which can restrict you from signing other players this year or in future years

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

If Jesse James contract is 6m+ a year then just find a way to draft Hockenson, Fant or Irv Smith. 

I'd like James and Fant.  James to do the all-around TE stuff (think Heath Miller), Fant to play a Gronk type role.  

Also pick up a speedy WR in FA.  We'd then have a few speed guys, and a few underneath targets.  

3 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

If Jesse James contract is 6m+ a year then just find a way to draft Hockenson, Fant or Irv Smith. 

I am all for drafting one of those TEs, I would also add Oliver to that list who reminds me of a young Jimmy Graham.  

In fact, I would still sign Jesse James, even over $6m.  He is not only a big target but a very good pass and run blocker.  Then draft Oliver whose strength is as a receiver and not as polished as a blocker yet.  Those two would form a twin towers tandem that would be very difficult to defend and also boost our blocking with James.

This way we can draft DL, WR, or OL with out first two picks and then nab Oliver in rounds 3 or 4.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a good example of why our expectations for this off-season need to be tempered. There is so much cap room collectively. Teams can spend stupid money to get even marginal players.  

I would be ok with "overspending" or setting the market for Paradis.

For other positions, they will have to try and find some value. Bringing back Miller on a reasonable contract could be an option.

TE is going to have to be through the draft. They need to trade out of the #9 spot and get another day 2 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills paid Clay 24.5 million in his first 2 years alone....

Considering Clay’s last season in Miami was better than Boyle’s entire career, that contract doesn’t look so bad  in comparison. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

Considering Clay’s last season in Miami was better than Boyle’s entire career, that contract doesn’t look so bad  in comparison. 

It's nice that the Bills paid the tab for his Miami production then.  And aren't the Bills still paying him dead money?

Awful deal...

6 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Still need more than 2 TE's.  They will need to sign a couple more even if they dray a guy to pair with a Croom.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s what people are saying for every position of need.  Too bad we don’t have 6 second round picks

I have said the same thing from day 1. Use the money in FA to fix the online. College football doesn’t develop Olineman now and there are no skill position players in FA that I want. But the linen and draft the skill. I am not saying draft every pos of need. In the first 3 rounds I want us to draft a TE a WR and RB. We should be able to get top players at each of those positions. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I hated that contract to begin with and in retrospect I was right to. Just because the Ravens overpay Boyle does not vindicate what Whaley gave Clay imo.

6 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

This is a terrible argument.  Everyone knows its not our money, however overpaying players affects the salary cap, which can restrict you from signing other players this year or in future years

Thanks! Quality post. Welcome aboard!

tick.. tick.. tick..