Question. What is the opinion on G Wyatt Teller?

Is he the answer at the G position and we only need 1 other G to solidify our starters at this positio?. I admit that I didn’t get to see him enough last year. Between my job and not having Direct TV last year I didn’t get to see enough of him to draw a conclusive opinion of him. Seeing that this is such a knowledgible message board I’ll trust in all of your responses. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tipster19

He's not a finished product, so one can't be sure of his ceiling.  My guess is he'll probably start in the upcoming season.  He wasn't great last season.  He should be better this upcoming season.  We'll know before the end of the season whether he is the long term answer.  On the other side, John Miller's inconsistency is unlikely to go away, so the Bills will be looking for an upgrade.  Miller will probably get a tender as insurance/depth.  Ducasse, on the other hand, is likely to be history.  While Miller is likely to get a contract offer, he won't make the roster without competition  Spencer Long is in the mix too, depending on what the Bills do at center.

I agree with the other posters: not enough shown to commit a starting spot to. He'll need to earn it. Upgrades and competition at all the O line spots are desperately needed.

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1

Well we already have 1 new OG in Long. At this point, it looks like Teller is a starter by default. I'm nearly 100% sure we'll be adding either a Guard, Center, or both in the draft/FA. Long could be our Center if we don't add one, and that'd be good for Teller's chances.

I'd personally rather have Teller be depth this year while he develops, but he may end up starting, and very well may be a serviceable starter with better talent around him.

Edited by 947

The only aspect of him that was good last year was the fact he was an unknown and might get better.  His play was no better and in fact often worse than Ducasse.  He was overmatched in pass protection most of the time.  Ducasse and Miller were the better players last year but Ducasse is never going to get any better(in fact he will likely regress with age). Teller however may get better.  I saw nothing from him that would say he even has a guaranteed roster spot and certainly not a guaranteed spot on the starting OL.  

My Plan A for the OL would be, bring back Mills at RT and Miller at RG, sign Paradis for C, move Dawkins to LG, draft OT in first round after trading down a few spots, take C/G in the third round, cut Bodine and let Groy walk, Teller, Long, and some other OT to be a swing back-up.

My Plan A.1, basically similar only Mills and/or Miller are replaced with reasonably priced veterans.  

My Plan B : Sign Pardia, bring back Miller, keep Dawkins at LT, Teller at LG, draft OT in the first round to play RT again after dropping back a few slots, draft another G in the 4-5th round, let Mills and Groy walk, cut Bodine, and find a swing OT somewhere

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interesting concept that some people may not understand...

5th round picks can improve particularly when they have had some starting experience in their rookie year..

Anyone familiar with one of our players called Matt Milano?

I don't think anyone on this board has said he could not improve.  But what most are saying, is what he has shown so far does not make him a sure bet to be a starter next year.  Evaluating his on the field play is not the same as projecting if he will get better.  He was mostly bad as a starter last year but had some good moments in the run game.  No one on this board is qualified to project if he will get better.  Hell I doubt the coaching staff is qualified at that either.  But I think it is fair to say he did enough that he will be given an opportunity to compete for a roster spot and maybe even a staring spot.  He would be a cheap starter for a few years and allow them to spend more money on a first round OT draft pick and a FA C or G.

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't think anyone on this board has said he could not improve.  But what most are saying, is what he has shown so far does not make him a sure bet to be a starter next year.  Evaluating his on the field play is not the same as projecting if he will get better.  He was mostly bad as a starter last year but had some good moments in the run game.  No one on this board is qualified to project if he will get better.  Hell I doubt the coaching staff is qualified at that either.  But I think it is fair to say he did enough that he will be given an opportunity to compete for a roster spot and maybe even a staring spot.  He would be a cheap starter for a few years and allow them to spend more money on a first round OT draft pick and a FA C or G.

Two things..

It’s fine to say he hasn’t shown anything... but what did we really expect him to show in his initial year? He is a 5th round OL pick.. some of them don’t make it past the taxi squad as a rookie..

He beat out Ducasse for the starting role... no real achievement in itself but it tells me what the coaching staff think of his potential..

Second - I am not anointing him as a starter in 2019... he will need to earn it..like every other player..

They have bought in Long and I have no doubt they will bring in another more expensive free agent or a Top 50 pick.. 

Lets wait and we what happens, but I’m not sure what he was supposed to be in his first season as pick 166..

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Two things..

It’s fine to say he hasn’t shown anything... but what did we really expect him to show in his initial year? He is a 5th round OL pick.. some of them don’t make it past the taxi squad as a rookie..

He beat out Ducasse for the starting role... no real achievement in itself but it tells me what the coaching staff think of his potential..

Second - I am not anointing him as a starter in 2019... he will need to earn it..like every other player..

They have bought in Long and I have no doubt they will bring in another more expensive free agent or a Top 50 pick.. 

Lets wait and we what happens, but I’m not sure what he was supposed to be in his first season as pick 166..

I'm not sure he actually beat out Ducasse.  That is kind of my point in terms of evaluating his play on the field.  Teller played because the season was lost, not because he was playing better than Ducasse.  There was no reason to play Ducasse at that point and they wanted to see what Teller had. And for a late round pick, he showed enough that the staff may decide to go with him at LG. Like I said, that would be a very cheap starter on the OL and afford them the chance to spend more in FA on the OL, TE, and/or WR position.

My best guess is Teller is the starter at LG, and they sign a C and RG in FA to start and draft an OT.  But that is just a guess.   That is not what i would do, but i think it is what McBeane will do

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm not sure he actually beat out Ducasse.  That is kind of my point in terms of evaluating his play on the field.  Teller played because the season was lost, not because he was playing better than Ducasse.  There was no reason to play Ducasse at that point and they wanted to see what Teller had. And for a late round pick, he showed enough that the staff may decide to go with him at LG. Like I said, that would be a very cheap starter on the OL and afford them the chance to spend more in FA on the OL, TE, and/or WR position.

My best guess is Teller is the starter at LG, and they sign a C and RG in FA to start and draft an OT.  But that is just a guess.   That is not what i would do, but i think it is what McBeane will do

Ok cool... I think we have both made our point so let’s see what happens..

I do expect Teller to be better in 2019 regardless if he is the starter or not..

Hey, thanks everyone, all of you seem to agree for the most part and have painted a very good picture of what to expect out of Teller. The thing that stuck out to me the most about him from last year was although he stuck up for Josh in that Miami game when Kiko was taking a cheap shot against him it was disappointing to me to hear Teller say that Kiko didn’t do anything wrong or something to that affect. 

He is a much better run blocker than a pass blocker, he struggled in that department as one would expect since he was always a better run blocker, we'll see if Buffalo thought enough of him to develop him or if they'll replace him in the draft or FA, if nothing else he's a serviceable backup that much we know.

5 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Is he the answer at the G position and we only need 1 other G to solidify our starters at this positio?. I admit that I didn’t get to see him enough last year. Between my job and not having Direct TV last year I didn’t get to see enough of him to draw a conclusive opinion of him. Seeing that this is such a knowledgible message board I’ll trust in all of your responses. Thanks in advance.

We really wont have any idea till he starts playing games this season.  He looked really good at times last season and other times he got embarrassed.

Edited by formerlyofCtown