'Buffalo is very, very interested' in Matt Paradis

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Im interested to see the number...

Seantrel Henderson who used to play for the Bills got $4.5 M for one year and he is made of glass..

At least Mills has availability so I suspect he might get $10M for 2 years from some desperate cash strapped  team that has a need for a starting RT...

I don’t think Beane pays him that to be a backup...

I hope not, in theory.  But if that is a league wide value for Mills' type of experience and production, then pay the one you know.

I don't know why but something tells me the Bills management is more so going to go after Williams at RT as the big splash in free agency while maybe adding a mid-level guard and drafting another guard in round 2 or 3. I think at Center the front office will go with a competition between the newly acquired Long and Bodine. Don't get me wrong If I was approaching the Bills off-season I would love to see the team sign Pradis as I think Long is more of a high end backup and Bodine is decent depth at best. Personally I wouldn’t mind seeing the Bills trade a-mid rounder for Kevin Zeitler and sign both Pradis and Williams while maybe making a smaller splash at WR like signing DeSean Jackson and then drafting pass catchers 2 out of the first 3 rounds and a RB in round 4. 

I don’t see the Bills management making 3 big O-line acquisition and a significant WR addition. I think its more likely the sign Williams at RT, go with a mid-level acquisition at guard, and then sign a significant WR. That’s not terrible. Williams and a competent guard is a good way to help the O-line. But I don’t see why they couldn’t trade a mid-rounder for Zeitler and sign Williams and a WR. 

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I hope not, in theory.  But if that is a league wide value for Mills' type of experience and production, then pay the one you know.

I’ll take Williams or James instead...

I would rather draft another T in Rounds 4-5 then keep Mills if they get one of the other guys..

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’ll take Williams or James instead...

I would rather draft another T in Rounds 4-5 then keep Mills if they get one of the other guys..

They should go after Williams or James, but those are starters.  Trotting out a developmental OT if a starting OT, God forbid, gets injured is a recipe for disaster.

5 minutes ago, purple haze said:

They should go after Williams or James, but those are starters.  Trotting out a developmental OT if a starting OT, God forbid, gets injured is a recipe for disaster.

We will be saying that about plenty of positions on this team if a starting player gets hurt 

Signing a couple of those starting lineman would open us up to use our early round draft picks on better value players. Instead of using #9 on a OT we'd be able to use it on dline where it seems the better value lies. As far as I've seen the defensive line players are rated higher than any of the offensive players. 

Signing those starting olinemen would also allow us to patiently develop late round oline picks instead of them being thrust into a situation similar to Wyatt Teller when he wasn't ready. 

20 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Does anyone who understands the cap happen to know what it would look like for us to try and sign Paradis, Williams, and Saffold? Is that completely impossible? I am sure it wont happen, but I wonder how the money works out in such a case... 

I'm no cap expert, but much of this scenario would entail contract length and bonus structure. All contracts are not created equal. I'm sure we can afford it, but what are the ramifications on other potential contracts.

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Does anyone who understands the cap happen to know what it would look like for us to try and sign Paradis, Williams, and Saffold? Is that completely impossible? I am sure it wont happen, but I wonder how the money works out in such a case... 

It's completely possible.

The team has $70M+ in cap space, and about $10M of that is allocated to the draft pool.  Assuming that they want to carry $10M in space into the season for signings, extensions, etc., that leaves about $50M in contract AAV that they can hand out. Because they have over $100M in cap space for 2020, they don't really have to hold back on loading up either year 1 or 2 with guaranteed money.

So what would it look like to sign all 3 guys?

Suppose Paradis gets a market-based increase on Ryan Jensen's deal; that would be something like 4 years, $48M with $26 guaranteed.  Figure it's a $10M signing bonus and guaranteed base salaries of $8M in both 2019 and 2020.  Cap hit for 2019 is $10.5M.

Let's equate Saffold with TJ Lang, who signed at close to the same age.  That would put him somewhere around 3 years, $33M, with $22M guaranteed. Call it a $9M signing bonus and guaranteed base salaries of $6M and $7M in 2019 and 2020, respectively. 2019 cap hit would be $9M.

Williams' closest comparable is probably Ricky Wagner.  With some market escalation and a premium for a 2nd-team All Pro selection, let's put Williams at 5 years, $55M, with $30M guaranteed. $10M signing bonus and guaranteed base salaries of $10M in 2019 and 2020. Cap hit for 2019 works out to $12M.

That's a total cap hit of $31.5M for 2019...so, in effect, the team would have all 3 in the fold and still have $18.5M that they can spend on contracts without having to worry about saving space for signing draft picks or carrying cap space into the season.

The cap hits for all 3 for 2020 would be $32.5M; very manageable.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

We have MORE than enough to do this and this is what I am praying happens.  We could do this and still sign Jesse James or a WR and still have plenty of cap space left for rookies and such.  

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's completely possible.

I responded before I saw your very detailed post, great job.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

Yes, I do.   He's played well in stretches too.  He can't play well enough consistently which is why he is a ideally a backup.  If they got rid of him they would be looking for a similar player from some other team or a rookie who is a project.  Might as well keep the one you know.  

Bosa was mocking him ...the NFL had him wired.I get it purple,he isn't that bad talent wise but he quit on his team,that's uncalled for and nothing can justify it,imo.

P.s.- You can find the video on youtube.

Peace.

4 hours ago, Iamkrgr said:

Signing a couple of those starting lineman would open us up to use our early round draft picks on better value players. Instead of using #9 on a OT we'd be able to use it on dline where it seems the better value lies. As far as I've seen the defensive line players are rated higher than any of the offensive players. 

Signing those starting olinemen would also allow us to patiently develop late round oline picks instead of them being thrust into a situation similar to Wyatt Teller when he wasn't ready. 

HECK YES IT WOULD.

and nice point about Teller,

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

We will be saying that about plenty of positions on this team if a starting player gets hurt 

But if you do not have a solid starter, and are already hoping your Draft pick can be The Guy? Bills are taking too much risk. Get the Vet and then back him up with a develop.
it is the way teams are built. Bills are not there yet. But I might guess that is the plan. The depth is actually the one who was brought in by drafting ,to succeed your 30 years old probowler on his most likely last contract

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We have MORE than enough to do this and this is what I am praying happens.  We could do this and still sign Jesse James or a WR and still have plenty of cap space left for rookies and such. 

Exactly. If they DON'T make some big time moves, they're wasting cap space. They should be big time players in free agency with the QB on a rookie contract and tons of space.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Exactly. If they DON'T make some big time moves, they're wasting cap space. They should be big time players in free agency with the QB on a rookie contract and tons of space.

Let us hope , if they make Big Time moves ? They make solid ones.

No more Kelvin Benjamin BS.

or injury risks.

solid move and lots of them can be better than splash moves to fill seats ( see Antonio Brown ) ( Odell Beckham ) or Suh.

If OBD is going to overpay one guy this off-season Paradis is the one I’d want. Signing him would alleviate some of the oline concerns heading into the draft. If the Bills don’t land any instant starters in FA it would be hard sticking to BPA instead of need. 

6 hours ago, purple haze said:

I understand what you are saying, but it doesn't get much more disastrous than putting Mills out there.