'Buffalo is very, very interested' in Matt Paradis

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Serious question: what makes you think Dawkins has what it takes to be a good LG?

Or is this the catagorical "not quite happy with him as a tackle but anyone can play guard" line of thought?

I don't think tackles necessarily make the best guards.  The athletic needs are different.

"There's a right tackle position open in Buffalo. He was a converted defensive tackle, so his best football is ahead of him on the offensive side of the ball. Powerful point-of-attack player. He can kick inside or play right tackle." -- Mike Mayock

SOURCES TELL US

"I don't know if I see him as a guard or a tackle yet, but I think he can play both. I like him because I think he could upgrade our pass protection inside if we did bump him to guard, but he's athletic enough to play right tackle, too." -- AFC West scout

NFL COMPARISON

Joe Barksdale

BOTTOM LINE

Quality tackle who operates with good balance and solid technique. Shows some good initial quickness and a smooth kick-slide out of his stance, but might be better in short areas as a guard rather than in open space as a tackle. He's athletic enough to operate in space, but power appears to be his calling card. His wide-hand approach in pass protection could be a difficult habit to break, but he has the natural power to withstand bull rush that might come with that. Dawkins is a well-schooled, three-year starter who has chance to transition into an early starter. -Lance Zierlein

15 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

There’s something sketchy about Albright.  I ended up unfollowing him on twitter.  Others guys seem more reputable than him.  

I don’t like Allbright’s attitude and they way he carries himself, he can seem to be very condescending and a bit troll-ish at times while trying to make it out to be his followers that are. 

However, that being said, he tends to be pretty credible and is often times right. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Serious question: what makes you think Dawkins has what it takes to be a good LG?

Or is this the catagorical "not quite happy with him as a tackle but anyone can play guard" line of thought?

I don't think tackles necessarily make the best guards.  The athletic needs are different.

Because he was a First Team All-American Athletic Conference selection at Guard in college.

Dawkins received an invitation to the Senior Bowl and started at guard for the North team. Dawkins was named the Senior Bowl's top offensive lineman. He improved his draft stock after practicing and performing well during the Senior Bowl. The majority of NFL draft experts and analysts projected him to be a second round pick. He was ranked the second best guard in the draft by Sports Illustrated, was ranked the third best guard by ESPN, the third best interior offensive lineman by NFL analyst Mike Mayock, and was ranked the fourth best offensive tackle by NFL analyst Bucky Brooks and NFLDraftScout.com

He was drafted when Cordy Glenn, who is a natural LT, was here to step into Incognito's shoes. Incognito got extended and Glenn got injured and the LG became a LT.

He is not good at RT. His position is on the left side of the line. It's where his move and feet take him. Some guys can play both sides, some can't.

Dawkins can play LT, but is a natural and potentially dominating LG. He should play the role he was drafted for, Incognito's replacement.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Paradis, Taylor, and just bring back Miller

John Miller is one of the worst guards in the league and one of the worst I have ever seen play. Like "Colin Brown replacing Andy Levitre" bad. He will not be back. 

17 hours ago, White Linen said:

One good thing about needing a Center is for those fans that didn't appreciate Wood - now maybe they are.  

I thought Wood was easily replaced before Groy stepped in, and I was wrong. Wood was a very good C.

Teams still have to build inside out.

QB

C

OT

DT

DE

Take care of these positions and the rest falls in line.

Right now the Bills have

QB - Good - Allen

C -  Poor -  Bodine get Morse or Paradis and draft one in round 3-4

OT - Disaster - Glenn and Mills - grab D Williams (he fills an OT and a Williams :) ), draft one in round 1-2 - move Glenn to LG. Williams/rookie/Glenn as backup is great

DT - Poor - Star and a bunch of guys, Deep DT draft, get a stud

DE- OK - Hughes/Murphy/Lawson can be upgraded. Help Hughes. Murphy is ok when he is in, but an injury waiting to happen. Lawson is ok terrible at pass rush

Buffalo has a QB to build around and needs C/OT/DT/DE and OG.

FA offers RT/C/OG - spend the money. Get them in and draft BPA OL

DT/DE - just so happens this is a deep DT and solid DE draft, what a coincidence

C/T/G are available in FA - go get them, cap room is there, floor has to be met, overspend and help JA and Shady out.

DT/DE - keep the DE we have (Phillips at DT is a good extension) and draft a DT in a stud DT draft.

Add a Jesse James/Uzomah at TE and a Crabtree/Tate/Stills at WR and something is there.

Grab Collins at OLB as insurance to Lorx (age) and Milano (injury)

that is my off-season plan

Edited by RocCityRoller

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

I think next year is the year you draft our center... Biadasz Wisconsin.

Pretty sure he would have been a late 1st round pick this year if he declared. He didn't.

taking that in get Morse or Paradis on a 2-3 yr contract, and draft Biadasz next year.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There is no salary min this year.

They have to spend 89% (in cash) over a four-year period. They don't have to worry about this, especially as it's possible to spend cash in one year that goes well over the cap. The #1 team in cash spending this year, the Bears, spent around $233 mill, though the salary cap was only $177.2. That's $55 million over the cap.  Eight teams spent more than $200 million.

https://overthecap.com/cash-spending/   and click on 2018.

This isn't going to be a problem.

So take them at their word and expect them to spend judiciously and maybe front-load a few contracts.

At $88,803,013  this year the Bills (and Jets) are far and away the lowest teams for spend. About 30-40 million less than the average.

2018 was last year.

Both teams will have to boost spend to meet the 4 year minimum for 2019.

My point is to front load a few OL on 2-3 yr deals since the spend has to increase. OL FA is deep. DT/WR draft is deep.

Bills need all of the above.

Edited by RocCityRoller

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

taking that in get Morse or Paradis on a 2-3 yr contract, and draft Biadasz next year.

Trying to think a bit longer term on the o-line development front grooming your future starters, not the patch & pray many teams employ today.

Also, the kid is a stud who could step in early if/when the injury bug hits your veteran FA.

With o-line demand teams should plan ahead for when the contracts expire as you will likely not be able to out-bid teams desperate to fill holes with proven vets....much like the Bills this year.

I think the Bills just got caught with their pants down with Incognito going completely off the rails and retiring over Twitter, and Wood's forced injury retirement.

I give them a bit of a pass for what looked on the surface like really bad continuity planning.

1 minute ago, Dkollidas said:

I’d like him or Morse, along with Daryl Williams. Then trade down, grab Risner late in the first and he can be your flex guy for a year or two. 

Risner is an absolute beast, he would make somebody else expendable, no way he's flex guy. I honestly wouldn't be suprised is Risner was a rookie pro bowler.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I lot of folks talking about that move and I see zero chance that McDermott moves him this year.

They went out and grabbed a new o-line coach with a good track record, and they will no doubt give him the opportunity to get Dawkins back on track at LT.

IMO

31 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Matt Paradis in FA, Daryl Williams in FA and Jonah Williams with the 9th pick. Best gift you can get Josh Allen.

That would work as well. I love Williams as a G. That might even be better than the oline I came up with.

15 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Do you remember the San Diego game two years ago ?

Yes, I do.   He's played well in stretches too.  He can't play well enough consistently which is why he is a ideally a backup.  If they got rid of him they would be looking for a similar player from some other team or a rookie who is a project.  Might as well keep the one you know.  

14 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I have been saying all off season.. some team will overpay Mills... he will get $4-5M a year which is not depth money..

I'm not so sure.  The cap goes up every year so 4-5 million for one year might be the going rate.  If he got more than a year I don't think the average dollars would be that high.

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I'm not so sure.  The cap goes up every year so 4-5 million for one year might be the going rate.  If he got more than a year I don't think the average dollars would be that high.

Im interested to see the number...

Seantrel Henderson who used to play for the Bills got $4.5 M for one year and he is made of glass..

At least Mills has availability so I suspect he might get $10M for 2 years from some desperate cash strapped  team that has a need for a starting RT...

I don’t think Beane pays him that to be a backup...