'Buffalo is very, very interested' in Matt Paradis

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

You still need depth and Mills would be the perfect swing OT.  Plenty of starting experience and plays well in stretches.  That's what a team needs as depth, at the right price of course.

I have been saying all off season.. some team will overpay Mills... he will get $4-5M a year which is not depth money..

Edited by Aussie Joe

5 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Fine with that too. Spend to salary min on OL and maybe a WR like Tate/Crabtree/Dorsett

There is no salary min this year.

They have to spend 89% (in cash) over a four-year period. They don't have to worry about this, especially as it's possible to spend cash in one year that goes well over the cap. The #1 team in cash spending this year, the Bears, spent around $233 mill, though the salary cap was only $177.2. That's $55 million over the cap.  Eight teams spent more than $200 million.

https://overthecap.com/cash-spending/   and click on 2018.

This isn't going to be a problem.

So take them at their word and expect them to spend judiciously and maybe front-load a few contracts.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

You still need depth and Mills would be the perfect swing OT.  Plenty of starting experience and plays well in stretches.  That's what a team needs as depth, at the right price of course.

I bet mills signs elsewhere and starts while getting paid double what he made in buffalo. And he’ll continue to be bleh wherever he lands.  

7 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2018.htm

What is the attraction to this guy? His name? He allowed 34 sacks with a line that has more talent than our own 2018 Oline. He calls the blocking schemes. We allowed the same number of sacks with rookies and a turnstile center pairing. Get off the bandwagon folks. It’s all agent driven. 

Paradis missed nearly half the yr plus there was other factors that hurt there Oline O'Leary was injured to.  Btw 34 sacks is not bad to me . That's pretty much middle pack stat plus there run gm averaged well over 4yds a carry even with those factors. 

9 hours ago, billspro said:

Paradis in free agency, Jawaan Taylor in round 1, and a G in FA or the draft would have this line rebuilt in one offseason.

I’ve been saying this for a month to the point where I  considered I was being annoying to the crew.  Paradis played for three seasons, and 9 games.  Since he is healed up from his injury per reports and clears the medical, he would be an excellent addition.  Steve Tasker and I were talking on air, and I mentioned, but one of you mentioned Zeitler which is an even better option he is 26 vs. 31.

i know a lot of guys want Montcreif and is a sexy pick, but I’ll take the boring Juwain Tayler (meaning a lineman). And yes, we have transformed our line from a weakness to a strength.  Allen gets at least another second to throw, holes will be opened to improve our running game and so on.  Tasker mentioned these two interior lineman probably would cost us approximately 20-21 mil for both each year, and there are always to be creative to work with the cap.

We’ll have to keep at least one of the existing lineman for RT and a couple of more durable lineman for back ups like Bodine.  You guys probably have a better take on Teller as he had some flashes, but open to everyone’s opinions.

If we can get at least one top quality o-linemen through FA or trade--could be center, guard, or tackle--then draft another starter in round 1 or 2, that would be a huge improvement with just those two additions.

Edited by CSBill

I like it!

personally, i'd rather we get a top C in FA, and then a tackle (swing or power guy) in FA as well, freeing up our first couple picks for BPA (thinking WR and DL will be there).

also, i'd be happy w taking a 3rd round oline (anyone but C if we get Fight for your Right to Paradis).  we gotta get young as well as experienced, and depth was a big problem last year.

12 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I like the idea of a proven Vet center. Take some pressure off Allen with line calls.

Yeah, this is my opinion as well. If the Bills are going to spend money ANYWHERE in the Off-season it NEEDS to be on good to great Offensive linemen because with a coming-of-age QB, he needs that Vet presence to provide stability and assistance. WRs are deep in this Draft, DL / DE are deep in this Draft, and TEs are hard to get to be good in the first two years so that's another area I'd prefer they go with Vet. I think they still need Offensive Linemen in depth so drafting one on day three, e.g. Teller, is perfect, but they need that anchor to hold the line. 

12 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'm on the fence about Paradis, but you are attributing all of the 34 sacks allowed to Case Keenum on Paradis over 2018. He only played 9 games before fracturing his Tibula. Keenum did take 22 sacks in the 9 games Paradis started, not great, but let's be honest.

Bills QBs in 2018 took 41 sacks. 41 sacks vs 34 sacks.

The very good:

2015: Paradis started in the Super Bowl and helped his team defeat the Carolina Panthers by a score of 24–10. Paradis played exceptionally well throughout his first season as a starter and was ranked the best center in the NFL in 2015 by Pro Football Focus and was also ranked the fourth overall center by the Bleacher Report. The Ring counts to a young team. He allowed 29 quarterback pressures and received a pass blocking efficiency of 96.6 from Pro Football Focus. It ranked 19th among all centers in 2015. This was blocking for the statue known as Peyton Manning.

2016: Paradis played 2,392 snaps out of a possible 2,402 snaps in 2016 and only allowed 17 quarterback pressures. Pro Football Focus gave Paradis a pass blocking efficiency of 97.9, which ranked 13th among all centers. He also received an overall grade of 90.7 from PFF that finished first among all centers.

The concerning:

2017: Paradis missed organized team activities and the beginning of training camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on both his hips during the offseason. He returned to training camp after receiving medical clearance in July.Head coach Vance Joseph named Paradis the starting center to begin the regular season, ahead of Connor McGovern and Dillon Day. Paradis started all 16 regular season games for the third consecutive season. He earned an overall grade of 75.2 from Pro Football Focus in 2017

The bad:

On March 12, 2018, the Broncos placed a second-round restricted free agent tender on Paradis. He started the first nine games at center before suffering a fractured fibula in Week 9. He was placed on injured reserve on November 12, 2018

BTW Paradis still ranked 12th of all OL on PFF at 75.2 overall in 2018, meanwhile Russell Bodine scored 46.8.

So here is a guy with a Super Bowl Ring. 29 Years old. Great first two years and troubling 2 years after. His injuries are a major red flag. He is still in the mix. Morse, the other good FA Center also has injury concerns.

I would think the goal would to bring in a vet C to compete with Bodine and draft a C around rounds 4-6.

Find someone to call out protections while JA scans the Def for opportunities.

I think next year is the year you draft our center... Biadasz Wisconsin.

Pretty sure he would have been a late 1st round pick this year if he declared. He didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

He'd be my #1 free agency target without a doubt.  I like him better than Morse by a little because I think Paradis is an elite zone blocking OL whereas Morse is a very good one and if you're going to pay great money, go get the great.  

That being said, I'd also draft a "real" center (no swing OL or a guard who "can" play center) to apprentice with him so you're building redundancy in your OL.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Since Bills have to spend to minimum, might as well get D Williams at OT too and slide Dawkins to LG.

Williams/ Dawkins/Paradis or Morse/Teller/Taylor - now we have something

still draft a C since both Morse and Paradis have injury concerns.

Serious question: what makes you think Dawkins has what it takes to be a good LG?

Or is this the catagorical "not quite happy with him as a tackle but anyone can play guard" line of thought?

I don't think tackles necessarily make the best guards.  The athletic needs are different.

13 hours ago, White Linen said:

One good thing about needing a Center is for those fans that didn't appreciate Wood - now maybe they are.  

Sometimes you don't know what you got till it's gone!  

A franchise center does more to stabilize an O-line than I thought.  Especially with a young QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, billspro said:

Paradis in free agency, Jawaan Taylor in round 1, and a G in FA or the draft would have this line rebuilt in one offseason.

Paradis or Morse.... Leaning a little more towards Morse just because he's a little younger and can develop longer with JA, but either would be an awesome signing.

• Like (+1) 1