'Buffalo is very, very interested' in Matt Paradis

11 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2018.htm

What is the attraction to this guy? His name? He allowed 34 sacks with a line that has more talent than our own 2018 Oline. He calls the blocking schemes. We allowed the same number of sacks with rookies and a turnstile center pairing. Get off the bandwagon folks. It’s all agent driven. 

PFF had him rated 12th for all o linemen at any position for 2018. According to them he had a great year. 3rd highest rated center, not sure if his agent works for them though.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-offensive-linemen-of-the-2018-nfl-season

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Sign WIlliams(or Ju'Waun) and Paradis!  That gives us a lot more flexibility on draft day.  I get the feeling that the Bills are drafting a stud DT with the first pick

If Oliver is there they won't pass him up. Their priority this offseason is to rebuild the trenches, and it works out that there's great offensive line talent in free agency and great defensive line talent in the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

What is the attraction to this guy? His name? He allowed 34 sacks with a line that has more talent than our own 2018 Oline. He calls the blocking schemes. We allowed the same number of sacks with rookies and a turnstile center pairing. Get off the bandwagon folks. It’s all agent driven. 

They also had Case Keenum back there. Not exactly the poster boy for avoiding sacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

Paradis is one of the best C's in  the NFL. I can't think of a better one besides Frederick or Hudson. Am I overlooking anyone? To put this in perspective, I plugged in Madden 19 and Bodine is rated a 71 overall. Paradis is rated a 88. If we're going to overpay for anyone in FA, let it be him. Let's get our ground attack going again.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Since Bills have to spend to minimum, might as well get D Williams at OT too and slide Dawkins to LG.

Williams/ Dawkins/Paradis or Morse/Teller/Taylor - now we have something

still draft a C since both Morse and Paradis have injury concerns.

I don’t think Williams has played left tackle. For Carolina he was always on the right side 

9 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Paradis is one of the best C's in  the NFL. I can't think of a better one besides Frederick or Hudson. Am I overlooking anyone? To put this in perspective, I plugged in Madden 19 and Bodine is rated a 71 overall. Paradis is rated a 88. If we're going to overpay for anyone in FA, let it be him. Let's get our ground attack going again.

Jason Kelce Eagles and Hudson were the only higher rated on pff.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, billspro said:

Paradis in free agency, Jawaan Taylor in round 1, and a G in FA or the draft would have this line rebuilt in one offseason.

Don't we already have the guard in Spencer Long?

48 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I'm on the fence about Paradis, but you are attributing all of the 34 sacks allowed to Case Keenum on Paradis over 2018. He only played 9 games before fracturing his Tibula. Keenum did take 22 sacks in the 9 games Paradis started, not great, but let's be honest.

Bills QBs in 2018 took 41 sacks. 41 sacks vs 34 sacks.

The very good:

2015: Paradis started in the Super Bowl and helped his team defeat the Carolina Panthers by a score of 24–10. Paradis played exceptionally well throughout his first season as a starter and was ranked the best center in the NFL in 2015 by Pro Football Focus and was also ranked the fourth overall center by the Bleacher Report. The Ring counts to a young team. He allowed 29 quarterback pressures and received a pass blocking efficiency of 96.6 from Pro Football Focus. It ranked 19th among all centers in 2015. This was blocking for the statue known as Peyton Manning.

2016: Paradis played 2,392 snaps out of a possible 2,402 snaps in 2016 and only allowed 17 quarterback pressures. Pro Football Focus gave Paradis a pass blocking efficiency of 97.9, which ranked 13th among all centers. He also received an overall grade of 90.7 from PFF that finished first among all centers.

The concerning:

2017: Paradis missed organized team activities and the beginning of training camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on both his hips during the offseason. He returned to training camp after receiving medical clearance in July.Head coach Vance Joseph named Paradis the starting center to begin the regular season, ahead of Connor McGovern and Dillon Day. Paradis started all 16 regular season games for the third consecutive season. He earned an overall grade of 75.2 from Pro Football Focus in 2017

The bad:

On March 12, 2018, the Broncos placed a second-round restricted free agent tender on Paradis. He started the first nine games at center before suffering a fractured fibula in Week 9. He was placed on injured reserve on November 12, 2018

BTW Paradis still ranked 12th of all OL on PFF at 75.2 overall in 2018, meanwhile Russell Bodine scored 46.8.

So here is a guy with a Super Bowl Ring. 29 Years old. Great first two years and troubling 2 years after. His injuries are a major red flag. He is still in the mix. Morse, the other good FA Center also has injury concerns.

I would think the goal would to bring in a vet C to compete with Bodine and draft a C around rounds 4-6.

Find someone to call out protections while JA scans the Def for opportunities.

Edited by RocCityRoller

1 hour ago, billspro said:

Paradis in free agency, Jawaan Taylor in round 1, and a G in FA or the draft would have this line rebuilt in one offseason.

I can tell you know football. I've followed you here over the last year or two and you have always been spot on. What can you tell me about Jawaan Taylor and why do you like him?

30 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think Williams has played left tackle. For Carolina he was always on the right side 

You may be right, I thought he mixed it in more at LT, still a huge upgrade over Mills.

Edited by RocCityRoller

34 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I'd  say  Frederick, Hudson and Alex Mack are in a league of their own. Next you have Jason Kelce, Brandon Linder, Pouncey brothers, Max Unger. Then I think Paradis, Morse, Ryan Kelly are kind of that next tier. I think Paradis is overrated and I strongly prefer Morse, but I'd love to have either. Both are huge upgrades. 

Our competition for Paradis imo includes the Jets, Cardinals, Vikings, Ravens. Paradis is connected to Gase, Kubiak, and Cards o line coach Sean Kulger. For Morse I think we are looking at competition from the Texans, Dolphins, etc. Morse is from Austin and is close with his disabled brother who lives there. 

Next tier of free agency at center, I had my eye on BJ Finney, but he got a second round tender from the Steelers as a RFA. Nick Easton is pretty good but coming off an injury. I think Pat Elflein could be available via trade as well. So I am really hoping for Paradis or Morse. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

One good thing about needing a Center is for those fans that didn't appreciate Wood - now maybe they are.  

Was he really that good ??