2019 NFL Draft Running Back Prospect Primer

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to look into this a little more. Now that we may actually have our starting OL before the draft even kicks off, do we take a RB early???

are any of these guys the next Barkley or Elliot? Are any of these guys worthy of the 9th pick overall? What if we trade down but still take the first RB off the board? 

Who is the best of the class? Is there a clear cut number 1 RB coming out? 

Ive been watching some videos and really like  Montgomery from Iowa State. 

What say you?

Josh Jacobs is my sleeper Bills pick, hopefully after a trade down.  That's if there is a huge run on DL.  My first pick is Oliver and DL.  But they all might be gone.  Then who know who Beane has top of his board at that point

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Josh Jacobs is my sleeper Bills pick, hopefully after a trade down.  That's if there is a huge run on DL.  My first pick is Oliver and DL.  But they all might be gone.  Then who know who Beane has top of his board at that point

Watching vids on him now. Looks awesome. Fast. Shifty. Good pass catcher. Very powerful. 

The kid kid looks like he can do it all. You think he’s the clear cut #1 back in the draft? Is he worth a pick at 9? Would we need to take him there? Or possible with a trade down to the teens or early 20s is he still available? 

Just now, mrags said:

Watching vids on him now. Looks awesome. Fast. Shifty. Good pass catcher. Very powerful. 

The kid kid looks like he can do it all. You think he’s the clear cut #1 back in the draft? Is he worth a pick at 9? Would we need to take him there? Or possible with a trade down to the teens or early 20s is he still available? 

clear cut #1 RB IMO.  Everyone is grabbing D line early.  And who knows how many QBs go top 10.  Does someone reach for DK or Hotch?  RB's have been found later in drafts(Kamara, Hunt, Lindsay), so it seems teams disvalue them.  If all the DL talent is gone by 9,  I much prefer a trade down.  But I am ok with Josh Jacobs at 9 if draft falls that way.  I think there is a shot we trade down and draft Jacobs.  Players slide every draft.   And each team has it's own priority draft needs. Daboll is well aware of Josh Jacobs abilities.  Josh could use a young RB to help our offense rock the next 5 years

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

clear cut #1 RB IMO.  Everyone is grabbing D line early.  And who knows how many QBs go top 10.  Does someone reach for DK or Hotch?  RB's have been found later in drafts(Kamara, Hunt, Lindsay), so it seems teams disvalue them.  If all the DL talent is gone by 9,  I much prefer a trade down.  But I am ok with Josh Jacobs at 9 if draft falls that way.  I think there is a shot we trade down and draft Jacobs.  Players slide every draft.   And each team has it's own priority draft needs. Daboll is well aware of Josh Jacobs abilities.  Josh could use a young RB to help our offense rock the next 5 years

I saw a mock that has him going as late as the kid 2nd round to the eagles.  It was the first rb off the board. If that’s the case I’m taking this kid in the 2nd. Looks really good. Haven’t gotten into Damien Harris’ tapes yet but also looks good. As well as Henderson. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

He’s the clear cut #1 imo.  I just wouldn’t want to trade that far back and make him our first pick.....and he’s one of my favorite players in the draft.  Huge man crush.

that being said, Henderson in rd 3 would really be amazing value.  Love his skill set too.  There are several RBs I’d be happy with in rd 3-4.....which is why I think spending our first pick on Jacobs is a bad idea.

37 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..regardless, don't see McBeane as a 1st round RB pick guy...Barkley was an anomaly.....Fournette?....meh...Gurley?...shroud of secrecy regarding his health...

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s the clear cut #1 imo.  I just wouldn’t want to trade that far back and make him our first pick.....and he’s one of my favorite players in the draft.  Huge man crush.

that being said, Henderson in rd 3 would really be amazing value.  Love his skill set too.  There are several RBs I’d be happy with in rd 3-4.....which is why I think spending our first pick on Jacobs is a bad idea.

I just think that maybe McBeane give Daboll a toy to play with and help his QB. In a perfect world, they would give him his very own Gronk in Hockenson. Then trade back into the mid to late 20s and draft Jacobs.

That Would pretty much solidify our offense and could go defense for the rest of the draft. 

It would also solidify our future replacement for Shady. I get the knock on taking a RB that high. But if you get a Barkley, Fournette, Gurley, Elliot type of player it completely changes the way the game can be played. It would give Josh so much more room to work with. Between that and his new OL. I think we would be a very dangerous team. 

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

I just think that maybe McBeane give Daboll a toy to play with and help his QB. In a perfect world, they would give him his very own Gronk in Hockenson. Then trade back into the mid to late 20s and draft Jacobs.

That Would pretty much solidify our offense and could go defense for the rest of the draft. 

It would also solidify our future replacement for Shady. I get the knock on taking a RB that high. But if you get a Barkley, Fournette, Gurley, Elliot type of player it completely changes the way the game can be played. It would give Josh so much more room to work with. Between that and his new OL. I think we would be a very dangerous team. 

Who will play OL besides Morse and Dawkins - the several FAs they signed are good fill-ins, but would still prefer some better pedigreed OL talent.  Also, who is playing DT besides Star?  DL is a need area if they want to be competitive this year.

37 minutes ago, mrags said:

Our offense would be sick for sure.  Our DL and pass rush would be lacking.  We’d have taken a step back in the front 7.  Losing Kyle and replacing him with a 3rd or 4th rd pick.  No bueno imo.  

I love Hock and Jacobs, I just don’t think we’d be getting the best bang for our buck if we go  that route.

The difference between Oliver and a 3rd rd DT is much greater than the difference between Jacobs and the RBs in the 3rd rd.

Edited by NewEra

44 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Who will play OL besides Morse and Dawkins - the several FAs they signed are good fill-ins, but would still prefer some better pedigreed OL talent.  Also, who is playing DT besides Star?  DL is a need area if they want to be competitive this year.

All 6 of the OLmen we picked up in FA are better than anyone we had last year besides Dawkins. And he’s Only better than maybe 4 of them. 

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Our offense would be sick for sure.  Our DL and pass rush would be lacking.  We’d have taken a step back in the front 7.  Losing Kyle and replacing him with a 3rd or 4th rd pick.  No bueno imo.  

I love Hock and Jacobs, I just don’t think we’d be getting the best bang for our buck if we go  that route.

The difference between Oliver and a 3rd rd DT is much greater than the difference between Jacobs and the RBs in the 3rd rd.

I don’t deny all that. But if we go out there with 2RBs with AARP cards, we might as well assume we have zero running game all year. 

29 minutes ago, mrags said:

All 6 of the OLmen we picked up in FA are better than anyone we had last year besides Dawkins. And he’s Only better than maybe 4 of them. 

I don’t deny all that. But if we go out there with 2RBs with AARP cards, we might as well assume we have zero running game all year. 

Our running game will be significantly better due to our OL.  It will benefit from having Beasley and Brown out there extending drives.  Our running game wasn’t pitiful last year because of our RBs.  

You act as if we can’t draft a solid RB (if not an all pro rb) in rd 3-4.  There are several RBs pegged to go in rd 3+ that have a chance to be good starting RBs