2019 NFL Draft Running Back Prospect Primer

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Our running game will be significantly better due to our OL.  It will benefit from having Beasley and Brown out there extending drives.  Our running game wasn’t pitiful last year because of our RBs.  

You act as if we can’t draft a solid RB (if not an all pro rb) in rd 3-4.  There are several RBs pegged to go in rd 3+ that have a chance to be good starting RBs

Everything you said can be said about a DLmen in the 3rd or 4th too. Kyle Williams was a 5th rounder. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Everything you said can be said about a DLmen in the 3rd or 4th too. Kyle Williams was a 5th rounder. Just saying. 

It can be “said” for any position, but it rings true more for RBs than for DL.  There’s a reason why there are rarely multiple RBs taken in rd 1 and there are usually 7-8 DL

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It can be “said” for any position, but it rings true more for RBs than for DL.  There’s a reason why there are rarely multiple RBs taken in rd 1 and there are usually 7-8 DL

That may be true, but you can usually go back in the drafts and pick out first round RBs being dominant. 

2018:

Barkley

Michel

2017:

Fournette

McCaffrey

2016:

Elliott

Henry (early 2nd)

2015:

Gurley

Gordon

That’s 8 in the last 4 years that are not only good but dominant as far as nfl standards. Complete offense changers. Michel is a bit of a stretch, but time will tell, once Brady hangs up hits cleats. 

12 minutes ago, mrags said:

That may be true, but you can usually go back in the drafts and pick out first round RBs being dominant. 

2018:

Barkley

Michel

2017:

Fournette

McCaffrey

2016:

Elliott

Henry (early 2nd)

2015:

Gurley

Gordon

That’s 8 in the last 4 years that are not only good but dominant as far as nfl standards. Complete offense changers. Michel is a bit of a stretch, but time will tell, once Brady hangs up hits cleats. 

Ok, now list the DL.

and we won’t even bother listing the first rd RBs from 2008-2014.......because it doesn’t fit your agenda 

Edited by NewEra

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Josh Jacobs is my sleeper Bills pick, hopefully after a trade down.  That's if there is a huge run on DL.  My first pick is Oliver and DL.  But they all might be gone.  Then who know who Beane has top of his board at that point

I strongly believe he is higher on the Bills board than most people would think. 

My guy is Devine Ozigbo-Nebraska but I also wouldn't mind James Williams-Washington State or Bryce Love-Stanford. The galaxy part of my brain wants us to take Ozigbo in the 4th and Love in the 5th. That way next year when Gore and McCoy are gone we already have our 1-2 punch.

Would need to put Love on the PUP list all season. Treat it like a redshirt year.

1 minute ago, Maynard said:

I’d like Henderson or Singletary the best. If I were one of these backs I’d be praying I end up in Buffalo. Can you imagine being able to learn from McCoy and Gore???? Be a dream come true. 

I like Jacobs, Henderson, Singletary and Miles Sanders a lot.  If the Bills walk away with a stud DT, TE, and RB- I will be pumped!

17 hours ago, mrags said:

Decided to look into this a little more. Now that we may actually have our starting OL before the draft even kicks off, do we take a RB early???

are any of these guys the next Barkley or Elliot? Are any of these guys worthy of the 9th pick overall? What if we trade down but still take the first RB off the board? 

Who is the best of the class? Is there a clear cut number 1 RB coming out? 

Ive been watching some videos and really like  Montgomery from Iowa State. 

What say you?

No Barkley/Elliott (run, catch, block  +speed and size)

Some draft analysts will say Josh Jacobs is worthy of the 9th pick. Others disagree. He’s the #1 RB on most boards. It is a very deep RB draft, but not top heavy 

love Montgomery - would be thrilled if Bills pick him 

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Ok, now list the DL.

and we won’t even bother listing the first rd RBs from 2008-2014.......because it doesn’t fit your agenda 

2014 and 13 didn’t have any first round RBs but their 2nd rounders were pretty good. Still makes a point for my argument for a early RB. So since you wanted me to go farther back, why stop at 2008? Is it because 2007 had some HOFers?

2014 2nd Rounders:

Hill was decent for a time

Hyde

2013 2nd rounders:

Bernard was also decent

Bell

2012 had nobody but Richardson was picked 3rd overall along with 2 other first rounders. 

2011:

Ingram who is still very good today

2010:

CJ Spiller who everyone here thought was so good

Mathews was very good for a short time

2009:

Donald Brown was pretty good

2nd rounder McCoy. Never heard of him. 

2008:

Jonathan Stewart

Chris Johnson 

2nd rounders:

Forte

Rice

2007:

Peterson

Lynch

2006:

Bush

Deangelo Williams

Addai

2nd rounder:

Maurice Jones Drew

2005:

Frank Gore in the 3rd

2004;

Steven Jackson

You are wrong thinking that I don’t want and think we need DL help. We do. Im not saying we don’t. I’m simply saying that the stud workhorse RBs that are drafted early are usually game changers and offense changers for their teams. Every RB that I listed did that for their teams for multiple years. Some of them set the league on fire. 

You cannot even bunch the DL together with RBs when looking at past years picks because there’s 4x as many. Multiple different positions. Players changing from 3/4olbs to 4/3des. From DTs to DEs and vice versa. But since you asked for it I’ll give it a shot. I’ll just list them all for you and you can tell me which ones are superstars. How bout that. 

2018:

Chubb

Vea

Payne

Davenport

Bryan

2017:

Garrett

Thomas

Barnett

Allen

Harris

McKinley

Charlton

2016:

Bosa

Buckner

Rankins

Lawson

Clark

Nkimdeche

Butler

2015:

Williams

Shelton

Armstead

Ray

Brown

2014:

Clowney

Donald

Ford

Smith

Easley

2013:

Jordan

Ansah

Richardson

Lotuleli

Floyd

Jones

Williams

2012:

Poe

Cox

Brockers

Irvin

Coples

McClellin

Jones

2011:

Dareus

Watt

Fairley

Quinn

Luiget

Clayborn

Taylor

Jordan

Wilkerson

Hayward

2010:

Suh

McCoy

Alualu 

Graham

Pierre-Paul

Morgan

Williams

Odrick

Hughes

2009:

Jackson

Raji

Maybin

Orakpo

English

Jerry

Hood

2008:

Long

Dorsey

Ellis

Harvey

Jackson

Balmer

Out of 75 guys listed as DL per the NFLs website: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=DL

Id say only about 13 of those guys are serious consideration for defense changers:

Chubb-Maybe, well see

Garrett

Bosa

Clowney

Donald

Richardson-Maybe

Cox-Maybe

Dareus-For a time

Watt

Suh

Pierre-Paul

Dorsey

Ellis

so your argument has been noted. But proved wrong based on how many busts or DLmen that were drafted in the 1st round but never amounted to anything. To put into perspective, there were 75 DL drafted in the first round, from 08-18. there was only 44 RBs in the first round from 04-18. And I included the 2nd and 3rd rounders that I listed from the same time span. It’s probably a 40-50% rate that early RBs are at the least very good. Vs about 20-40% that DEs and DTs are very good. Someone else can do the exact math. My brain hurts from proving you wrong. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No Barkley/Elliott (run, catch, block  +speed and size)

Some draft analysts will say Josh Jacobs is worthy of the 9th pick. Others disagree. He’s the #1 RB on most boards. It is a very deep RB draft, but not top heavy 

love Montgomery - would be thrilled if Bills pick him 

Well. That was my question from the start. I don’t follow college at all so I have no idea how good these guys really are. I’ve heard names and seen some highlights. But highlights are just that.... highlights. They aren’t showing the bad plays. They aren’t showing the things these players don’t do well. 

There will be at least one stud coming out of the bunch. The question is, which one will it be. When will they be drafted. As I stated above, the % of good RBs drafted in the first to 2nd round is actually pretty high. I’d just like to see if one is worth taking at 9. Or a trade down and taking later in the first. Who knows, maybe take the best DL at 9 and trade back into the 1st to get the RB you want in the 20s somewhere. 

I dont think we are fine at DL. We def need help there. But at 9, there’s a serious possibility that the good ones will be gone. Bosa, Allen, Oliver, Williams, Gary, Wilkins. They are all good. Will any of them be there. At that point is it better to trade back. Take the best RB in the draft and then go back to DL in later rounds? 

Again, I don’t follow college. I really have no idea how good all these guys are. I’m simply watching videos and trying to compare. I’m trying to gauge what our needs are. I’m trying to decipher which one of these guys might be a true game changer and which ones might only be rotational guys. 

I seriously doubt Beane will go RB early, but Myles Gaskin is my guy.  I do not care what the combine numbers say.  I know what I see.

An all purpose star that can be had later in the draft.

Edited by Chicken Boo

51 minutes ago, mrags said:

2014 and 13 didn’t have any first round RBs but their 2nd rounders were pretty good. Still makes a point for my argument for a early RB. So since you wanted me to go farther back, why stop at 2008? Is it because 2007 had some HOFers?

2014 2nd Rounders:

Hill was decent for a time

Hyde

2013 2nd rounders:

Bernard was also decent

Bell

2012 had nobody but Richardson was picked 3rd overall along with 2 other first rounders. 

2011:

Ingram who is still very good today

2010:

CJ Spiller who everyone here thought was so good

Mathews was very good for a short time

2009:

Donald Brown was pretty good

2nd rounder McCoy. Never heard of him. 

2008:

Jonathan Stewart

Chris Johnson 

2nd rounders:

Forte

Rice

2007:

Peterson

Lynch

2006:

Bush

Deangelo Williams

Addai

2nd rounder:

Maurice Jones Drew

2005:

Frank Gore in the 3rd

2004;

Steven Jackson

You are wrong thinking that I don’t want and think we need DL help. We do. Im not saying we don’t. I’m simply saying that the stud workhorse RBs that are drafted early are usually game changers and offense changers for their teams. Every RB that I listed did that for their teams for multiple years. Some of them set the league on fire. 

You cannot even bunch the DL together with RBs when looking at past years picks because there’s 4x as many. Multiple different positions. Players changing from 3/4olbs to 4/3des. From DTs to DEs and vice versa. But since you asked for it I’ll give it a shot. I’ll just list them all for you and you can tell me which ones are superstars. How bout that. 

2018:

Chubb

Vea

Payne

Davenport

Bryan

2017:

Garrett

Thomas

Barnett

Allen

Harris

McKinley

Charlton

2016:

Bosa

Buckner

Rankins

Lawson

Clark

Nkimdeche

Butler

2015:

Williams

Shelton

Armstead

Ray

Brown

2014:

Clowney

Donald

Ford

Smith

Easley

2013:

Jordan

Ansah

Richardson

Lotuleli

Floyd

Jones

Williams

2012:

Poe

Cox

Brockers

Irvin

Coples

McClellin

Jones

2011:

Dareus

Watt

Fairley

Quinn

Luiget

Clayborn

Taylor

Jordan

Wilkerson

Hayward

2010:

Suh

McCoy

Alualu 

Graham

Pierre-Paul

Morgan

Williams

Odrick

Hughes

2009:

Jackson

Raji

Maybin

Orakpo

English

Jerry

Hood

2008:

Long

Dorsey

Ellis

Harvey

Jackson

Balmer

Out of 75 guys listed as DL per the NFLs website: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=DL

Id say only about 13 of those guys are serious consideration for defense changers:

Chubb-Maybe, well see

Garrett

Bosa

Clowney

Donald

Richardson-Maybe

Cox-Maybe

Dareus-For a time

Watt

Suh

Pierre-Paul

Dorsey

Ellis

so your argument has been noted. But proved wrong based on how many busts or DLmen that were drafted in the 1st round but never amounted to anything. To put into perspective, there were 75 DL drafted in the first round, from 08-18. there was only 44 RBs in the first round from 04-18. And I included the 2nd and 3rd rounders that I listed from the same time span. It’s probably a 40-50% rate that early RBs are at the least very good. Vs about 20-40% that DEs and DTs are very good. Someone else can do the exact math. My brain hurts from proving you wrong. 

Lol.  Hilarious.  Glad you wasted all that time.

Edit:  my point is that the entire nfl views DL as more valuable than RBs.  Better bang for the buck drafting DL early.  My point has NOTHING to do with players bustin.  Zero

Edited by NewEra

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol.  Hilarious.  Glad you wasted all that time.

Yeah, that would probably be my response too if I was hugely proven wrong. I wouldn’t have any kind of comeback at all. Either reply the way you did, or just crawl back into your dark hole and call it a day. And we all know your not doing that. 

Regardless what you state the “entire NFL views DLmen more valuable than RBs”. The facts still prove you.... and the NFL incorrect that there’s a better percentage of RBs drafted early that become not only good, but dominant than there are DLmen that do. It’s not even close. 

So back to my point all along. If your not picking very early, the very few DLmen that are serious game changers will already be gone. At that point do you take your chance in drafting a DLmen that will only be a body, or do you draft a RB that might change the offensive identity of your team and set the league on fire for years to come? Because at 9 we aren’t getting Bosa, Allen, Williams, and most likely Oliver. 

33 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I seriously doubt Beane will go RB early, but Myles Gaskin is my guy.  I do not care what the combine numbers say.  I know what I see.

An all purpose star that can be had later in the draft.

I like the video. Kid looks good. But I think he might be a little on the small side. He doesn’t seem like an every down back to me based on that. I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 5’9” to 5’11” and weighing anywhere from 194-211. Something tells me he’s more 5’9” and 195 than on the high side. And that feels like an exaggeration honestly. He just looks smaller. 

He he was definitely explosive in the vids I’ve seen. But can he bring that to NFL caliber defenses? Can he out muscle then for yards. Can he outrun them?