2019 NFL Draft Running Back Prospect Primer

Posted a wide receiver prospect primer yesterday that seemed to go over well, so here's a look at the top 20 running backs in the draft. Rankings are as per Lance Zierlein of NFL.com. The evaluations are summed up by me after reading scouting reports.

1. Josh Jacobs, Alabama (Junior)
5'10" | 220 

The Good: Solid build for the position, solid balance and instincts, patient but decisive, effective as a single back or behind lead blocker, allows OL to do their job, has the speed to bounce outside, effective catching the ball out of the backfield.

Needs Work: May lack homerun speed, doesn't adjust speed as needed, rarely asked to handle blitz pickups on third downs.

Projection: Round 1

2. Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic (Junior)
5'7" | 203 | 4.66

The Good: Very productive with a nose for the end zone, quick to process and respond to oncoming traffic, usually breaks initial tackle attempts, short-area quickness is top notch, excellent field vision, quick feet give ability to be sudden in stop-starts and cuts, able to maintain balance through traffic, threat out of the backfield.

Needs Work: Above average mileage than the usual prospect, lacks top-end speed to outrun defenders, can be excessive with cuts leading to lost yardage, will need to hone in his style to be more disciplined at the NFL level.

Projection: Round 2

3. David Montgomery, Iowa State (Junior)
5'10" | 222 | 4.63

The Good: Prototypical RB size, instinctive runner with an array of moves, patient and sets up his blocks, superb contact balance, agile enough to elude one tackler and punish the next, offers a lot as a receiver, blocks and recognizes the blitz well.

Needs Work: High volume of carries in college, takes a fairly large number of hard hits, below-average burst in space, low number of explosive carries in college, lacks pure speed to outrun defenders.

Projection: Round 2/3

4. Elijah Holyfield, Georgia (Junior)
5'10" | 217 | 4.78

The Good: Furious and powerful runner, quick process and response skills, explosive downhill bursts, feet are constantly moving, shifts running style from smooth to angry in an instant, tough to bring down, will drag tacklers for extra yards.

Needs Work: Show impatience in allowing OL to set up blocks and will bail too soon and look for an alternate route, lacks finesse and will try to bull his way through tight running lanes, may lack homerun speed, has had very little exposure as a third-down option.

Projection: Round 3

5. Damien Harris, Alabama (Senior)
5'10" | 216 | 4.57

The Good: Solid build with a no-nonsense running style, difficult to tackle, patient zone runner with good instincts, allows his OL to do their job, excellent feel/vision in space, effective in blitz pickup, has skills to be effective catching short throws out of the backfield, shared carries at 'Bama limiting wear and tear.

Needs Work: Lacks a top-end burst to outrun defenders, not much wiggle/shake in the open field which allows tacklers to square up on him without much trouble.

Projection: Round 3

6. Darrell Henderson, Memphis (Junior)
5'8" | 208 | 4.49

The Good: Very explosive, insane 8.9 yard average over last 344 carries, accelerates in an instant, big play production, excellent balance, feet don't stop, array of open field moves makes him difficult to tackle, effective as a receiver coming out of the backfield.

Needs Work: A bit undersized, upright running style with a narrow base, may lack the ability to create if play doesn't go as designed, could be limited on third downs.

Projection: Round 3/4

7. Dexter Williams, Notre Dame (Senior)
5'11" | 212 | 4.57

The Good: Adequete NFL size, able to handle the "bell cow" role, maintained solid production, allows his blockers to set up the lanes, processes traffic quickly, solid vision, sneaky speed to get to the corners, able to drop shoulders and plow over would-be tacklers.

Needs Work: Limited tape against high-end competition, 2016 arrest and a four-game suspension to begin 2018 on his record, doesn't regularly square up against blitzers, average elusiveness in open field.

Projection: Round 4

8. Miles Sanders, Penn State (Junior)
5'11" | 211 | 4.49

The Good: Minimal wear and tear (only 276 career carries), prototypical RB size, patient with good vision, quick feet to manuever around traffic, strong lateral agility, solid contact balance and typically falls forward for an extra yard, has potential as a three down back.

Needs Work: Not very productive against elite competition, could be more decisive, lacks the burst to beat defenders to the corner, lacks homerun speed, needs improvement as a route runner, ball security an issue at times.

Projection: Round 4/5

9. LJ Scott, Michigan State (Senior)
6'0" | 227 

The Good: Great size for the position, decisive north-south runner, has the burst to clear through a lane, allows OL to do their thing, efficient runner with light feet, viable pass catcher out of the backfield.

Needs Work: Could run with more power and less finesse in short yardage situations, only 14 career rushing TDs over 340 carries, lacks speed to outrun defenders to the edge, pass protection needs work, some ball security issues.

10. Ryquell Armstead, Temple (Senior)
5'11" | 220 | 4.45

The Good: Great combination of size and speed, tough downhill runner with ability to switch gears without losing a step, solid contact balance, breaks tackles and falls forward for the extra yard, highly competitive, holds his own in pass protection.

Needs Work: Could be a bit more patient, aggressive running style can lead him into traffic at times, will need to allow OL to develop their blocks, narrow field vision, average lateral agility, not much production as a receiver.

11-20
11. Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma (r-Junior)
12. Bryce Love, Stanford (Senior)
13. Alexander Mattison, Boise State (Junior)
14. Trayveon Williams, Texas A&M (Junior)
15. Justice Hill, Oklahoma State (Junior)
16. Karan Higdon, Michigan (Senior)
17. Travis Homer, Miami (Junior)
18. Myles Gaskin, Washington (Senior)
19. Devine Ozigbo, Nebraska (Senior)
20. Tony Pollard, Memphis (r-Junior)

Who do you like for the Bills? Who do you think is on their radar? We know they've met with Bryce Love so he could be a possibility. Personally, I really like what Justice Hill did at the Combine. He's a mid-round guy they could look at.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd take Miles Sanders in round 4 all day! more likely to go in round 2-3 imo

The guy is super talented and his game looks shockingly close to Saquan Barkley's, massive hamstrings, very shifty, shrugs off arm tackles, .09 slower in the 40, faster in the 3 cone drill. Only a one year starter because he had to sit behind the best back to come out of college since Adrian Peterson

If he had another year to refine his running technique he'd likely go in the first.

Take a look at his highlights

Also, He was a top 25 prospect coming out of high school

• Like (+1) 3

Thank you for this. I’m hoping the Bills take a flier on a RB in round 3-7 this year. Have to get younger at the position. Shady was negative last year. Ivory was decent but isn’t anything special. Murphy is just another dime a dozen guy. Need to find the heir to Shady sooner rather than later because his reign is clearly over. 

I really can't believe how far Bennie Snell has fallen. After the season, some considered him a 2nd round pick. Now he's not even a top 20 back? He had a terrible combine, but that's pretty crazy. I would love to snag him in the 7th or as an UDFA if these reports are accurate.

14 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I really can't believe how far Bennie Snell has fallen. After the season, some considered him a 2nd round pick. Now he's not even a top 20 back? He had a terrible combine, but that's pretty crazy. I would love to snag him in the 7th or as an UDFA if these reports are accurate.

He was really productive,  but I would doubt that any actual teams had him graded that high. He’s always been slow.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was really productive,  but I would doubt that any actual teams had him graded that high. He’s always been slow.

Yeah. He ran a 4.65. I know he was one of those players that was ultra productive in college/questionable NFL projection.

Still a bit surprised that he's basically off the map.

Edited by BillsSB2020

Just now, BillsSB2020 said:

Yeah. He ran a 4.65. I know he was one of those players that was ultra productive in college/not projected to be great in the NFL.

Still a bit surprised that he's basically off the map.

That’s a guy I would take with a late pick though - he’s definitely going to be more of a between the tackles guy but he plays hard with attitude.

• Like (+1) 1

Rodney Anderson is a 1st round talent with low miles who is injury prone. RB at.OU, injured 80% of time....2 let injuries and a.neck injury I think. ABout when he was healthy at back half of 2017 season, he was averaging like 250 yards per game from scrimmage. Fast, strong,.slasher and power and can catch. Ultimate.Boom of Bust.pick