Colts in strong pursuit of WR Tyrell Williams, probable favorites to sign him

Logic

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's quite possible that the Bills will view getting a Welker/Edelman like slot receiver as a bigger priority than getting a boundary WR, which is what Williams would have been. They may already like Zay and Foster as their starting outside receivers, but feel that the need a quality slot guy to be a security blanket for Allen and to really make the New Englandesque offense hum on all cylinders.

If this is the case, then Humphries is the best and most logical choice in free agency. I admittedly know nothing about the slot prospects in the draft this year.

No offense but this seems like an awful idea. I don't really think you build an offense around getting the ball out quick with a QB like Allen at this phase in his career. And if they think they're  set on the outside, they're crazy.

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Jason LaCanfora is an idiot. He gets paid to make obvious statements. A team with a desperate need at WR is in pursuit of one of the top 2 or 3 on the market? No *****. If he signs there LaCanfora says "told ya so" if he doesn't he says "it must have fallen through" it's all a bunch of stupid guesses. 

Id say he's pretty smart. If he's been able to make a lucrative career out of doing absolutely nothing and spewing conjecture, hell man I feel like an idiot for working my ass off everyday. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good, I don't want to pay him $12M.  I would MUCH rather sign Humphries.  He may prove worth it, he may not.  I don't want to gamble $12M to find out.  Give me a great slot WR like Humphries for less and then draft our #1 type WR this year in rounds 1 or 2.  

McD says there's no such thing.

3 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Unless you're ownership or a team executive, what difference does it make how much the team pays him?

All of this is preliminary anyway, but it makes zero sense to draft a big armed QB who's throwing short passes to slot guys.  Just because NE does that doesn't mean Buffalo has to.  

Besides, this draft doesn't feature an elite WR at the top.  I wouldn't bank on someone drafted there to come in and play outstanding football right away. 

We're getting there. ;)

get that running TE from ne. Get a Jesse James who can play steady in run or catch .
That will help the short area passing game and option plays.

Bills should consider drafting a that Hochenstein (sp ?) Kid who sounds like a a starter and then some !
get another body at WR  via FA but not try to get your #1 there. Not this year for sure.
Definitely draft a player at WR who can play sundays . and maybe another very late or udfa .
 I am not sure what they are doing with Allen this season.
Imagine they do want to chunk yards  to tire defenses and keep offense fresh. I hope Zay Jones takes another solid step and remains at slot WR for this season.

If it was my money I would not be spending too much  at WR this offseason unless it was Brown or Beckham. and i don't really care for either of them Process wise  lol

Williams was never going to come cheap, and the Colts are definitely in an advantageous position to land him.  I would have loved getting him but never counted on it happening.  I think Buffalo has far better odds of landing Darryl Williams.  He may not have the potential star power of Tyrell Williams, but he fills a (different) hole with a quality player and gives us an upgrade in an area where the draft is lacking in elite prospects.  As Tyrell would have done, Darryl gives the Bills their requisite Williams with the retirement of Kyle.

Edited by TigerJ

How can any team be in "strong pursuit" of him before the 13th? Isn't that against league rules? What is allowed before the FA period starts with him?

For the record, I consider T Williams an average to good starting WR, but nowhere near elite. Let's hope DK is there at 9 and he can live up to the hype. I see that some posters aren't sold on Metcalf, though.

Edited by GreggTX

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good, I don't want to pay him $12M.  I would MUCH rather sign Humphries.  He may prove worth it, he may not.  I don't want to gamble $12M to find out.  Give me a great slot WR like Humphries for less and then draft our #1 type WR this year in rounds 1 or 2.  

$10-$12M is what you pay for a WR 2... do you see what the #1 WR's are getting?? ODB, AB, Mike Evans... these dudes are $17-20M per year

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

$10-$12M is what you pay for a WR 2... do you see what the #1 WR's are getting?? ODB, AB, Mike Evans... these dudes are $17-20M per year

Yeah, number twos who prove they are worth it.  He hasn’t.

15 hours ago, Logic said:

Anyone with Tyrell Williams high on their wishlist might want to start looking at Plan B. The Colts have more money than the Bills, and there are coaching connections (not to mention an established franchise QB) that might make them a more desirable destination.

TYRELL WILLIAMS
WR, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

10694.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts are in "strong pursuit" of free agent Tyrell Williams.

La Canfora echoes the Las Vegas Review-Journal's Michael Gehlken's report from last week, saying the Raiders are also courting Williams, who is expected to get $12 million-plus annually. This doesn't sound like a path Colts GM Chris Ballard would typically travel down; he hasn't shown a big belief in building through free agency, and Williams is going to be expensive. But both coach Frank Reich and OC Nick Sirianni know Williams from their Chargers days. Indianapolis does need to do something out wide to take the burden off T.Y. Hilton.

This is great news for us.

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I say get your slot in this draft if not Zay is our best bet for that job. Don't waste money on any of these free agent Wrs. The only one I think will be worth a deal is Moncreif and that's all depending on his price. 7mil per for 3yrs is the most I offer him. 

Btw there is some great talent at the slot this yr . Players u can possibly get in the 3rd or 4th rds. 

#1 Andy Isabella 

#2 Deebo Samuel 

#3 Parris Campbell 

#4 Terry McLaurin 

# 5 Penny Hart 

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 1

I like Williams but based upon what I believe to be Beane's philosophy regarding free agents he is certainly not the type of player you overpay for...

Edited by eball

Williams is decent and still relatively young. He drops a lot of passes though and seems to be inconsistent with his effort. If the Colts want to pay him then that's cool. He would be an upgrade to what they have outside of TY and would help open up the field even more for Ebron. I don't expect big numbers if he signs there though. 

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

$12 million  ayear?? For 1 season of 728 yards??  I mean have teams lost their damn minds?

• Like (+1) 1

Count me among those that doesn't have interest in this guy. The FA market being as weak as it is is going to make almost none of these free agent WRs worth the money.

If you can sign one of them to a short-term deal, then I'm fine with it, but they're basically all going to be overpaid on an annual cost basis.

My preferred option with the WRs is to let other teams blow their load early on and then swoop in after the spending spree is over and sign a couple guys to relatively cheap deals. The ones I have my eye on in this regard are:

• Jermaine Kearse
  • Phillip Dorsett
  • JJ Nelson
  • ArDarius Stewart
  • Randall Cobb/Cole Beasley/Jamison Crowder (I think one of these three will slip through the cracks as the other slot guys get paid)
Edited by DCOrange

20 hours ago, Logic said:

I think it's quite possible that the Bills will view getting a Welker/Edelman like slot receiver as a bigger priority than getting a boundary WR, which is what Williams would have been. They may already like Zay and Foster as their starting outside receivers, but feel that the need a quality slot guy to be a security blanket for Allen and to really make the New Englandesque offense hum on all cylinders.

If this is the case, then Humphries is the best and most logical choice in free agency. I admittedly know nothing about the slot prospects in the draft this year.

I just dont see the Bills overpaying TW unless they feel hes a #1. Im not a huge fan, I dont see a dominant player in TW. 

Would much rather see Humphries here and draft that #1 guy. 

Edited by The Firebaugh Kid