Rams' C John Sullivan to hit open market

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I like him too but I think he is picked in the 20s... Maybe a trade up?

Yeah, I think that’s the only way to get him. 9 is way too high; we need an impact player at an impact position if we stay there.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

If there is still a need after FA then what alternative is there though? Allen deserves better then another year of Bodine, and Long was below average ( to be polite) at the position last year 

Don't make a need.  Free agency continues after the draft.  

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m hoping for Bradbury myself. I think he can step right in.

Just now, K-9 said:

Yeah, I think that’s the only way to get him. 9 is way too high; we need an impact player at an impact position if we stay there.

I think he's Travis Frederick-like, so somebody is going to take him in the back half of round 1.  Good news is that I think Buffalo could get a starting center in round 2 from the likes of Risner or McCoy if they wanted.

9 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

Bet they won't be able to keep either. If I'm Buf I offer them deals LA can't match. Rams can't keep everybody.

If I'm going hard after either, it'd be Saffold, but make no mistake: the Rams have the chops to go for it this year.  Goff is still on his rookie deal, and they don't have many FAs of note.

56 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair they need the money. They could cut and let a lot of decent players walk. They went money crazy last year. They also were waiting on LT whitworth to decide and he’s coming back at 11 million. Sullivan checks a lot of boxes if they can’t land Morse or Paradis. I’d rather have one of those 3 vets over a rookie this season just from a football IQ perspective 

I’m being fair. You’re talking about a worst case scenario. In that event, go with a rookie.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

I think he's Travis Frederick-like, so somebody is going to take him in the back half of round 1.  Good news is that I think Buffalo could get a starting center in round 2 from the likes of Risner or McCoy if they wanted.

If I'm going hard after either, it'd be Saffold, but make no mistake: the Rams have the chops to go for it this year.  Goff is still on his rookie deal, and they don't have many FAs of note.

I forgot about Risner. He’s one of my favorite players in the draft. He’s not an outside guy, imo, but I think he can play all three interior positions. And his “football character” is exactly what you want. He plays to the whistle on every play and is a pain in the ass the entire game. That’s infectious, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Misterbluesky said:

You're probably looking at 20 ish m for both.Sullivan made 8.5 last year,Saffold 7.5.

Based on what Bills did to Richie, Sullivan will be lucky to get 1 yr at $4-5MM at his age on open market and after 2018 and SB performance on his part.

Saffold has a chronic injury that has bothered him for a few years now and given that he is over 30< would take a pass here too.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Hard pass.  PFF rated Bodine #18 C and we also have Long.  Sullivan rated #31 of all Cs and he is 34 yrs old.

Still believe Bills will draft long term solution at C this year in McCoy from A&M  or Bradbury NC State.  Long or Bodine will be short term solution.

link?

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I forgot about Risner. He’s one of my favorite players in the draft. He’s not an outside guy, imo, but I think he can play all three interior positions. And his “football character” is exactly what you want. He plays to the whistle on every play and is a pain in the ass the entire game. That’s infectious, too. 

Yep...I think he's tailor-made for center with his recognition skills and anchorage.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Yep...I think he's tailor-made for center with his recognition skills and anchorage.

If they want a pure center type it’s Bradbury.  Risner seems like more a guard or RT type guy.  

Edited by CaptnCoke11
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

If they want a pure center type it’s Bradbury.  Risner seems like more a guard or RT type guy.  

I don't see a tackle in Risner; I see a guy that gets outmatched by good pass rushers on the outside.

But he plays with really good pad level, and does an excellent job of working out to LBs.  His play recognition is top-notch.  To me, that spells center.

Obviously I'd rather have Bradbury, but I'm not inclined to spend the No. 9 overall pick on a center.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Based on what Bills did to Richie, Sullivan will be lucky to get 1 yr at $4-5MM at his age on open market and after 2018 and SB performance on his part.

Saffold has a chronic injury that has bothered him for a few years now and given that he is over 30< would take a pass here too.

I see your point,long term neither are a solution to our o-line woes.

41 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I wasn’t able to watch much of the combine, but I happened to catch Juwaan Taylor’s mirror drill replay later on. I don’t know if I was more impressed with Taylor’s effort while not at 100% or Risner’s effort as the rabbit during that drill. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Too old. With a young QB, the last thing he needs in year 2 is a stopgap C.

If the Conference champs are willing to kick him to the curb, why would we be interested?

I also think kromer is some sort of voodoo witch doctor of oline play. He gets more from less than any position coach I’ve followed and grabbing his guys worries me a bit as I’ve seen a few take big steps backwards without him 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

how embarrassing would it be when you got your ass kicked by a guy in tights and elf boots?  pretty embarrassing I'd say

to be honest, i'd likely end up blocking punches with my face.  that guy has fought bears and *****.

• Haha (+1) 1