Our thoughts on Jim Kelly when he fled for the USFL

13 hours ago, iinii said:

God plays favorites? Or just the money line?

He only plays the winners, it's why the winning teams are always thanking him at the end.

You almost never hear a losing team thinking god for getting them to the championship but losing it......

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/5/2019 at 9:24 AM, Rico said:

It reinforced my belief that Ralph was a complete and total POS of an owner.

When we stayed out of the way, Polian and the 90s; when he meddled, Polian canned, RJ, Wade, TD, Marv, Russ. Best thing the Pegs did was take out the trash and fumigate Brandon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

He only plays the winners, it's why the winning teams are always thanking him at the end.

You almost never hear a losing team thinking god for getting them to the championship but losing it......

"I'd like to thank God for the 5 tipped interceptions I threw... and for the pounding we took. I'm an old testament sorta dude. Fire and wrath and all that"

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

On 3/5/2019 at 5:04 AM, K-9 said:

Sucked at the time and we all felt like jilted prom dates. The “Ralph is Cheap” chorus was loud and persistent as the Bills botched the negotiation at the 11th hour. 

Turns out it was possibly the best thing to happen as Kelly’s time with Mouse Davis taught him how to read defenses and be a better QB.. He was far more pro ready by the time he got here. Given our team in ‘83, I believe he would have struggled for a few years vs. having the kind of off the charts success he had in Houston. 

this was the real deal showing how ***** up / inept the Bills FO was back then.

Report was Kelly and agent were in the room with Bills negotiating the final details and Kelly about to sign. Then some unnamed ***** head FO secretarial worker took a call from Houston/USFL and somehow she got into the room to tell Kelly's agent he had an urgent call. Agent took the call and was told Houston would offer a lucrative deal. He and Kelly then left without signing to then go on to be courted hard and signed by his hometown USFL Houston Gamblers.

Only in Buffalo would someone be able to interrupt that room. She should have been tarred and feathered and fired.

Edited by cba fan

A couple of people have mentioned Tom Cousineu. I knew he went to the CFL rather than playing for the Bills. However, I only discovered recently that when the Bills finally traded him to the Browns, the draft pick they got in return is the one they used to draft Jim Kelly. People had to feel like "here we go again" when Kelly went to the USFL... A couple people also asked about what pieces were in place when Kelly was drafted and when he signed. Even though everyone was upset with him for jilting the Bills, it really worked out for the best and was meant to be. Had Jim Kelly signed with the Bills in 1983, they probably wouldn't have been bad enough in 84 to get the number one pick in the 85 draft. They selected Bruce Smith!

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:41 AM, Nihilarian said:

Y'all can thank Bill Polian for talking owner Ralph Wilson into making Jim Kelly the highest paid QB in the league. Jim wanted to be a Raider as Al Davis had sent him on a vacation trip to London with two Raiderettes. Money talks, so Jim signed with Buffalo!  Yes, Kelly didn't want to play for the Buffalo Bills when he was drafted by Buffalo and the weather was only one factor as Kelly noticed that the Bills lost Cousineau to Canada over money. I think Bills owner Ralph Wilson was the bigger reason and Polian not only talked Wilson into paying Kelly, but he also talked him into upgrading the stadium, paying top free agents. Let's not forget the 87 trade for Cornelius Bennett on Halloween that helped turn that defense around. 

Four straight super bowls! I think you can give a lot of credit to Bill Polian for those runs. Now, let's hope Beane/McD does as well.

Interesting tidbit, where did you hear about this?  I'm not doubting it, just curious because I've never heard about that before.

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

Interesting tidbit, where did you hear about this?  I'm not doubting it, just curious because I've never heard about that before.

the sources from back then are not longer with us, most of us 50 and older have about 1,000 stories about athletes and rock stars that were common knowledge back then but no longer sourceable...  :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1