Sign Anthony Barr in FA

wppete

Move Lo to DE? Maybe, but he's listed at 245. Do you think he'd want to add 10-20 lbs for 1 last season? I don't know if he'd be too thrilled about that move since he just had what was arguably his best season. I'd still like to have Barr for the long term, though.

6 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Doesn't he struggle in coverage? Maybe my memory alludes me but I only see McD want OLBs that can hang with backs and TEs 

How many times will be get caught up in preseason hype? Everyone looks good on paper in August. 

OH MY GOOD WATKINS WOODS HARVIN MCCOY CLAY WE ARE UNSTOPPABLE 

We've been down this road before allowing ourselves to over-value our roster 

U know what tore that up right the old injury bug hit them hard. By the 2nd half of that 41-14 blowout of Miami they never were healthy at the same time again. Some people just don't put things in perspective.  It would of been great to see what those guys could've done together had they stayed healthy.  I guess that's the ugly part of the game that u can't really prepare for. 

9 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

No thanks another prototype guy who doesn’t play up to his measurables. If I’m gonna spend big money on a defensive player I’d rather do it on Za’Darius Smith who’s gotten better every year and could easily be a LDE at 6’4 275

Who?

7 hours ago, MJS said:

I've been calling for this for awhile now. I think he would be a great pickup. I think we are thin at linebacker. Lorenzo Alexander is best used as a situational pass rusher.

If Im not mistaken Zo was excellent in coverage last year and one of the top graded LBs.

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Move Lo to DE? Maybe, but he's listed at 245. Do you think he'd want to add 10-20 lbs for 1 last season? I don't know if he'd be too thrilled about that move since he just had what was arguably his best season. I'd still like to have Barr for the long term, though.

No need to add weight or give him a defined position.  He played the DT position on some third downs last year. His technique gives him an advantage.  I'm sure he will be used wherever we need him.  His versatility will be really important.  McDermott is all about finding more players that can play multiple positions on the defense. It helps with disguising packages.

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Who?

If Im not mistaken Zo was excellent in coverage last year and one of the top graded LBs.

Really? He came out the same year as his teammate Bud Dupree and was overshadowed by him at the combine but Smith has been the better pro. Here let me try to educate you on the guy. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/ZaDarius-Smith-most-underrated-free-agent-Pro-Football-Focus-127683622/Amp/

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/za-darius-smith-is-making-an-early-statement-in-contract-year

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

We sign Barr and draft Wilkins, Gary, or Oliver at 9, this defense could be sick.  

SAM LBs are going the way of the FB.  Team's don't need to hand out a large contract to one of them.

This loading up on defense mentality has been disproved for years now.

Every time Buffalo signs a defensive UFA or drafts another defender high it takes away from the resources to build a competent NFL offense.  

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

SAM LBs are going the way of the FB.  Team's don't need to hand out a large contract to one of them.

Every time Buffalo signs a defensive UFA or drafts another defender high it takes away from the resources to build a competent NFL offense.  

No one way to build a winner.  If Bills view Barr as a difference maker at LB and as an edge rusher and you can get a top 5 DL talent at pick 9, that’s better than throwing huge money at mediocre OL in free agency and reaching for offensive talent in the draft.  They can still get a good WR/TE in round 2 and a good interior OL in Round 3.  

49 minutes ago, MJS said:

Yes, but he's ancient.

True.  It would be good for the future and keep Zo rested.

40 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Why not do both.  You act like we have 4 picks and are tight against the Cap.  

If a player isnt gonna ride the pine then Im all for it.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

18 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Why not do both.  You act like we have 4 picks and are tight against the Cap.  

If a player isnt gonna ride the pine then Im all for it.

Would you give Anthony Barr 8M per to play 50% of their snaps? And in free agency, it's likely a 4 time Pro-Bowl player will command much more. 

I can't fathom using valuable cap space to sign another front 7 defender.  They've already spent on Star, Hyde, Murphy, Poyer, and used 2 1st round picks on that side of the ball. 

The reason this team continues to remain mediocre is their offense is less than pedestrian.  Barr doesn't move this team ahead from a resource allocation perspective to more wins.

43 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Would you give Anthony Barr 8M per to play 50% of their snaps? And in free agency, it's likely a 4 time Pro-Bowl player will command much more. 

I can't fathom using valuable cap space to sign another front 7 defender.  They've already spent on Star, Hyde, Murphy, Poyer, and used 2 1st round picks on that side of the ball. 

The reason this team continues to remain mediocre is their offense is less than pedestrian.  Barr doesn't move this team ahead from a resource allocation perspective to more wins.

There has already been an article on this so Im not gonna break it all down but we have One significant contract.  We must also hit our three year average for cap space this season.

Also we had a top ten scoring D when Tyrod was here but our D sucked.  You need to tend to both.

I am sorry but your arguement is not a good or accurate one.

I am also only on board with it, if it makes a significant difference.  You really need to consider the fact that Zo will retire at the end of this season.  You dont just aquire players with this season in mind or all contract would be for 1 year.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

If the Bills pursue Barr, I believe it would be with the intention of moving him to DE full time. Now if he could thrive with that switch, I personally haven't seen enough of him to know for sure. Maybe some others could chime in on that angle but I just haven't seen enough of him to know for sure.

19 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd be down with Barr and using #9 to grab an elite DL player, but would hope we use picks 2, 3 & 4 on offense (WR, TE, RB) and then bring in 2 more upgrades on the OL.

My preferred scenario actually.

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Barr is a three down LB who is great against the run and in pass coverage. He is at his best on the outside and was mis-used last year by the Vikes. He is exactly the kind of smart, tough and flexible player McD covets. And he's what? 26? But as much as I'd love to see him here, I seriously doubt the Bills are in the running for his services. If the Chargers, Rams, Hawks, Cards or even the Raiders make a serious run at him, I believe that's where he'll go.

7 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Barr is a three down LB who is great against the run and in pass coverage. He is at his best on the outside and was mis-used last year by the Vikes. He is exactly the kind of smart, tough and flexible player McD covets. And he's what? 26? But as much as I'd love to see him here, I seriously doubt the Bills are in the running for his services. If the Chargers, Rams, Hawks, Cards or even the Raiders make a serious run at him, I believe that's where he'll go.

No one said Barr isn't a solid player. The point is from a cost effectiveness perspective, he's not worth the contract he'll get based on how often he'd get on the field.  SAMs get on the field less and less every year as passing offenses continue to dominate.  It's why nickel CBs, much like baseball relief pitchers, are being prioritized and causing a shift in personnel requirements. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1