Justin Houston released by Chiefs

On 3/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, Buffalophil1948 said:

Getting younger is great. We have 10kids joining up soon. Maybe 6 will stick. How many stuck last year( I'm to lazy to do rhe research ). But there has to be balance between youth and veteran experience and leadership. How would we be without Hughes, Lonzo, Shady. We'll find out soon enough as the younger guys step up and take there roles. Its just an endless cycle which needs to be balanced.

Bills had 6 picks in 2017.  Tre White, Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano, Nate Peterman (gone), and Tanner Vallejo (gone).

Bills had 8 picks in 2018.  Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Taron Johnson, Siran Neal, Wyatt Teller, Ray Ray McCloud, and Proehl (gone).

I definitely agree it’s time to add some vets to the young core, not sure how Houston fits here though. His pass rushing skills are still above average. If they can see him as a fit and be able to maximize his rushing the passer and not expect him to cover much I would be happy to have him on the team 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

By a lot. He just turned 30 5 weeks ago. What is the obsession with having all super young players around here? How about focusing on the good players? 

We have this odd situation on this board where a lot of people think we have all the right cornerstones but aren’t supposed to win for like 5 years.

as far as I’m concerned, even if josh works out (especially if he does really) the next 3 years are the best window we will have for quite some time. Let’s go chase a Super Bowl ala LA, KC, Chicago or go back to legion of boom Seattle, the loaded niners teams, etc... THIS is our spot to push chips on the table and fans seem terrified by the idea while simultaneously thinking leadership deserves a long leash. It’s weird.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We have this odd situation on this board where a lot of people think we have all the right cornerstones but aren’t supposed to win for like 5 years.

as far as I’m concerned, even if josh works out (especially if he does really) the next 3 years are the best window we will have for quite some time. Let’s go chase a Super Bowl ala LA, KC, Chicago or go back to legion of boom Seattle, the loaded niners teams, etc... THIS is our spot to push chips on the table and fans seem terrified by the idea while simultaneously thinking leadership deserves a long leash. It’s weird.

Exactly. In terms of acquiring pricey talent, this IS our window. They absolutely cannot afford to whiff this offseason.

Some info for you folks to ponder as FA approaches

Justin Houston carried a 21 Million Dollar cap hit if he stayed with KC. Cutting him saved KC 14 million in Cap space with a cap hit of 7 million.   Piror to his release today, KC only had 9 million in CAP SPACE.  After his release (and the signing of Carlos Hyde) KC has about 22 Million in Space as of this post (there will probably be some more cap saving moves to come)  

There had been talk KC would want to renegotiate Houstons deal....and I think in most years, Houston would have been motivated to do so instead of being released.  However, this FA crop of EDGE rushers is WEAK.  Houston and his agent aren't dumb.  They know this and they know that there are about 6 or 7 teams with a staggering payload of cap space that will line up to sign him.  The Jets and Colts are going to be right at the top of the list.  Watch the Falcons as well.  houston is from the Atlanta area.  I'd like to have Houston back..he's a good run defender AND pass rusher...very solid..but he's been too injured...KC probalby helped ruin his health by having him play on a bum knee they knew was bad a few years ago.....because he was getting paid after that 22 sack season and they needed him out there.  Anyhow...21 million is too rich for KC to stomach...and need the cap space.

As far as Morse goes....KC already signed Austin Rieter (C) to an extension during the year last season.  Reiter started while Morse was out with concussions.  Morse is a very good player when available...but he's not been available all that much the last few years.  He has concussion problems.  You don't need to worry about KC trying to bring him back...he'll have a market (Buffalo being one of the interested teams, if not THE most interested team)  I'll miss a healthy Morse in KC.  If he's healthy, you'd be getting one hell of a center.

Eric Berry will either be cut by this Friday or he'll be on the team.  He is due a signifigant roster bonus this upcoming week.  There had been talk of a post June 1 cut..but it is moot due to the bonus coming this week.  EITHER WAY.....he is a huge dead money hit if released....his contract is untradable.....either he's cut this week or he isn't getting cut.  either way, he is a big anchor on our payroll.  Best we can hope for is that somehow, he gets healthy and returns to his old pro bowl level self.  I don't think so...but we are kind of priced in until next off season when the cap hit is still substantial, but more palatable.  He'll probalby be on the team for 2019.  

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Some info for you folks to ponder as FA approaches

Justin Houston carried a 21 Million Dollar cap hit if he stayed with KC. Cutting him saved KC 14 million in Cap space with a cap hit of 7 million.   Piror to his release today, KC only had 9 million in CAP SPACE.  After his release (and the signing of Carlos Hyde) KC has about 22 Million in Space as of this post (there will probably be some more cap saving moves to come)  

There had been talk KC would want to renegotiate Houstons deal....and I think in most years, Houston would have been motivated to do so instead of being released.  However, this FA crop of EDGE rushers is WEAK.  Houston and his agent aren't dumb.  They know this and they know that there are about 6 or 7 teams with a staggering payload of cap space that will line up to sign him.  The Jets and Colts are going to be right at the top of the list.  Watch the Falcons as well.  houston is from the Atlanta area.  I'd like to have Houston back..he's a good run defender AND pass rusher...very solid..but he's been too injured...KC probalby helped ruin his health by having him play on a bum knee they knew was bad a few years ago.....because he was getting paid after that 22 sack season and they needed him out there.  Anyhow...21 million is too rich for KC to stomach...and need the cap space.

As far as Morse goes....KC already signed Austin Rieter (C) to an extension during the year last season.  Reiter started while Morse was out with concussions.  Morse is a very good player when available...but he's not been available all that much the last few years.  He has concussion problems.  You don't need to worry about KC trying to bring him back...he'll have a market (Buffalo being one of the interested teams, if not THE most interested team)  I'll miss a healthy Morse in KC.  If he's healthy, you'd be getting one hell of a center.

Eric Berry will either be cut by this Friday or he'll be on the team.  He is due a signifigant roster bonus this upcoming week.  There had been talk of a post June 1 cut..but it is moot due to the bonus coming this week.  EITHER WAY.....he is a huge dead money hit if released....his contract is untradable.....either he's cut this week or he isn't getting cut.  either way, he is a big anchor on our payroll.  Best we can hope for is that somehow, he gets healthy and returns to his old pro bowl level self.  I don't think so...but we are kind of priced in until next off season when the cap hit is still substantial, but more palatable.  He'll probalby be on the team for 2019.  

When are you guys cutting Mahomes? That’s someone we might be interested in...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:55 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26136728/chiefs-move-ford-houston-sources-say

Houston has also been informed that the Chiefs will try to trade him, a source told ESPN, and if no deal is reached he will be released. Houston carries a salary-cap number of $21.1 million for next season; trading or releasing him would save the Chiefs $14 million against the salary cap.

Wow! That a lot of money, im more comfortable in the ten million dollar range.