Justin Houston released by Chiefs

7 hours ago, Turk71 said:

How's that going? If you figure it out please share

Position switch I guess, but you can get a lot of milage over this kind of guy.. a Dwight Freeney, DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen. Do we want virtually everybody on the team to have the same age?? That's horrible cap strategy. Do we believe we are going to suck for the 5+ years Houston is productive?

Good god I hear constant begging for youth, how friggin long do we expect Josh Allen and friends to hit their window of opportunity on a good team? A little bit of early success is just what the doctor orders for a young player and building a team filled with tons of unproven talent makes that very unlikely. Then ideally Josh gets paid and we ship out the oldies and replace with the new. Because that's how you squeeze out the best roster with your cap.

Rivers, Big Ben, Tom Brady, Steve Young in SF (Kelly when he couldn't stay warm in Houston after USFL) found themselves on stacked teams from the get go and were all but game managers enjoying early playoff or SB success.

I love vets. Let's get a balanced roster between the old and the new... Like good teams do.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, fansince88 said:

If every player that this board thinks is going to the Pats, went to the Pats, they would have 200 players on their roster.

they don't? shocked, i'm telling you, shocked!

• Haha (+1) 1

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26136728/chiefs-move-ford-houston-sources-say

Houston has also been informed that the Chiefs will try to trade him, a source told ESPN, and if no deal is reached he will be released. Houston carries a salary-cap number of $21.1 million for next season; trading or releasing him would save the Chiefs $14 million against the salary cap.

13 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Josh Allen took Barr’s manhood that would be awkward.

Tom Brady took Urlacher's. I think Barr expected Allen to slide and when he didn't Allen just jumped over him. Barr is a very good player that I wouldn't mind the Bills signing.

11 hours ago, hmsmystic said:

He's a 3-4 OLB over 30 coming off a huge deal.  Not a scheme fit and likely won't be a bargain

He’s not over 30, he just turned 30 in December. He’s a very good player who could play DE in this scheme. That said, his positional value is worth more in a 3-4 so I agree he likely ends up elsewhere. 

Getting younger is great. We have 10kids joining up soon. Maybe 6 will stick. How many stuck last year( I'm to lazy to do rhe research ). But there has to be balance between youth and veteran experience and leadership. How would we be without Hughes, Lonzo, Shady. We'll find out soon enough as the younger guys step up and take there roles. Its just an endless cycle which needs to be balanced.

Chiefs players were talking on the radio about going after L Bell. They've lost their minds. Said screw it.. let's see what happens with an all offense no defense team.

That'd be fun to see but a major cap hit to essentially marginally change your starting year roster from Kareem Hunt to L Bell.

5 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Chiefs players were talking on the radio about going after L Bell. They've lost their minds. Said screw it.. let's see what happens with an all offense no defense team.

That'd be fun to see but a major cap hit to essentially marginally change your starting year roster from Kareem Hunt to L Bell.

At the same point, they are probably going to draft all defense.  Imo, much easier for defensive players to make an impact compared to offensive ones.  I won’t be shocked if they have an improved defense this year (not saying much because they were terrible but still).

28 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He's younger than LorAx.

Lorax is an anomaly given he only played specials most of his career. 

Justin Houston is legit, but has been grinding his entire career.