CJ Mosley Not being tagged

Would you pay great money for a good LB?

That's really what you're thinking about with Mosley. 

He's a great run stopping LB and decent in coverage, but as the league evolves towards those quick, precise passes, FOs will probably put more emphasis on great coverage LBs and decent run stoppers.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Why do you think this?

Imo he is good against the run and great in coverage. How about you?

for me it is the other way around. I think he is a great run defender who is decent in coverage. But he is a north to south linebacker primarily and the guys making big $$s at the position these days are better going east to west than he is. I am not saying he is one dimensional, he isn't Brandon Spikes for example..... but the thing he excels at is the thing that is less valued in the modern NFL. Go back 15 or 20 years and no team lets a CJ Mosely walk. This day in age it will happen from time to time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

for me it is the other way around. I think he is a great run defender who is decent in coverage. But he is a north to south linebacker primarily and the guys making big $$s at the position these days are better going east to west than he is. I am not saying he is one dimensional, he isn't Brandon Spikes for example..... but the thing he excels at is the thing that is less valued in the modern NFL. Go back 15 or 20 years and no team lets a CJ Mosely walk. This day in age it will happen from time to time.

Especially at the price it'll cost to tag him...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Spielman said:

Yeah there is reason, because he will likely want $50-55MM

He’s not worth that kind of jack.

Here in Baltimore, there aren’t too many Ravens fans that will be crying long and hard if he leaves.

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Great tackler, but too slow to give a huge payday. Replace with one of the Devins in the draft. 

I don’t know if it was his responsibility on the play, but I really loved him watching him chase far behind Tyler Boyd all the way into the end zone the last week of the 2017 season. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

I don’t know if it was his responsibility on the play, but I really loved him watching him chase far behind Tyler Boyd all the way into the end zone the last week of the 2017 season. :thumbsup:

Rahsaan Evans was similar in the draft last year. Bills could have stayed at 22 and took him but didn’t want any questions about whether their MLB could go sideline to sideline. Edmunds is the modern LB, those guys are good players but not impact players. It’s easier to teach a gifted player like Edmunds to tackle better vs the run than it is to teach those guys how to cover when they don’t have the innate ability. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah.....I view Hightower as a real north/south ILB, much more that Mosely. In college, Hightower was leaner and could actually cover as well. Mosely was an all around player at Bama and was excellent in coverage.

You are certainly correct in that there are a lot less spots for a purely physical LB.

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah.....I view Hightower as a real north/south ILB, much more that Mosely. In college, Hightower was leaner and could actually cover as well. Mosely was an all around player at Bama and was excellent in coverage.

You are certainly correct in that there are a lot less spots for a purely physical LB.

The difference in Mosely's coverage capability in the NFL as compared to college comes down to speed I think. His technique is reasonably sound. He just doesn't have the speed to hang with some of the guys he is facing.