Texans franchise tag star pass-rusher Clowney

Texans franchise tag star pass-rusher Clowney

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26135304/texans-franchise-tag-star-pass-rusher-clowney

HOUSTON -- The Texans have used their franchise tag on defensive end/outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney, the team announced Monday.

The team used the non-exclusive franchise designation, meaning a team can sign Clowney to an offer sheet once free agency begins next week but would have to surrender two first-round draft picks if the Texans choose not to match it.

18 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Hardly a surprise.

Crazy money is going to be spent on a guy who really has made very little impact.

I wouldnt say very little impact, but he hasnt been DeMarcus Lawrence.   I think he is being wasted as a OLB and is probably more suited as a 4-3 Defensive End.   But I wouldnt want the Bills to spend the money to find out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I wouldnt say very little impact, but he hasnt been DeMarcus Lawrence.   I think he is being wasted as a OLB and is probably more suited as a 4-3 Defensive End.   But I wouldnt want the Bills to spend the money to find out.

He's still had his fair share of monstrous performances, which have lead many to the same conclusion as you: a bit out of position.. and also consistently banged up.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Mario Williams 2.0....we don’t want another one of those contracts on the books

Mario was the better pass rusher while Clowney is better against the run.  He wants a contract similar to Mack and Donald.  I doubt any team obliges. 

14 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Yikes.. That guy is a walking weekly injury. 

Super talented but injuries have destroyed him in Detroit.

Yup, big no thanks for me. On top of the injuries, Ziggy will be 30 years old shortly. He was nearly 24 years old when drafted. 

17 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I would say very little impact as well especially when you have a BEAST like JJ Watt on that D line