Browns exploring trade offers for Duke Johnson

32 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wouldn't mind it for one of our 5ths and maybe a conditional next year. 

Does this move mean the brownies are sold on Hunt? Cause that seems dangerous. 

They have Chubb as well

While I like Duke Johnson and think he is a talented receiving back I am not yet convinced our Quarterback is ready to utilise that type of player. I don't think he sees those routes very well at the moment he holds it and tries to force it downfield still. 

I think seeing his check downs sooner and getting the ball to them more quickly is part of his progression and 2019 might just come a bit early.

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I like Duke Johnson and think he is a talented receiving back I am not yet convinced our Quarterback is ready to utilise that type of player. I don't think he sees those routes very well at the moment he holds it and tries to force it downfield still. 

I think seeing his check downs sooner and getting the ball to them more quickly is part of his progression and 2019 might just come a bit early.

I thought he used Isiah McKenzie nicely in weeks 13,14 and 15.  I know Duke is a RB and Isiah is a WR but in the passing game Duke lines up in the slot a lot.  His routes are very similar to how we used Isiah.  

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Dime a dozen RB. No point in giving up draft assets for him. Just draft your own in the later rounds.

One of the best pass catching backs in the league, averaged 5.0 ypc and 9.1 ypr last year. U of Miami all time rushing leader. Not dime a dozen. Lower cap hit than Ivory, 6 years younger and an upgrade. Under contract 3 more years , 2.3 mil this year, no dead cap if let go after this season. Would be a great pickup for a 5th imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

One of the best pass catching backs in the league, averaged 5.0 ypc and 9.1 ypr last year. U of Miami all time rushing leader. Not dime a dozen. Lower cap hit than Ivory, 6 years younger and an upgrade. Under contract 3 more years , 2.3 mil this year, no dead cap if let go after this season. Would be a great pickup for a 5th imo.

Absolutely agree.  I want weapons and he is a really good one.  If you want to do multiple things on offense you need players like Duke.  I'd trade a 4th in a minute for him.  

I'd much rather throw a mid round pick at Duke Johnson than pay Tevin Coleman big dollars in free agency. Think he can do the same things for much less of an investment.

For such a rare name, it would be kind of odd to have three recent Bills players named Duke.

Edited by BillsSB2020

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is considered expendable with the addition of Kareem Hunt (but they need to determine his eligibility first , which they are hoping to find out in next couple weeks)

Hunt is willing to accept up to a 6 game suspension. Anything more and he’ll appeal. 

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Sounds great, yet the Browns have no issues letting him walk for a 5th? They drafted another back who took his job and signed a woman beater to replace him.

If the Browns, one of the worst teams of the last decade, if not all time, doesn't think he is special, nobody else should either. He gets 600-800 yards a year, running and receiving, and a couple TD's. There are 50 other guys that can get you that production. He's a backup caliber running back. He was drafted in the 3rd round which shows he was never considered some great running back.

I just doubt that Beane will want to expend draft capital on a backup running back. I would MUCH rather they do their homework and draft their own in round 3 or 4. Then they get a younger guy for 4 years on a rookie deal who they can develop themselves.

If anyone follows Cover 1 on Twitter, he was at the senior bowl and claimed that he directly overheard a call between Brandon Beane and John Dorsey. It's anyone's guess what they were discussing, but Duke Johnson seems like a logical conclusion. Remember that Daboll's primary offensive background was New England, where a versatile pass-catching back is often a big part of the attack.

• Like (+1) 3