Joe Marino (paraphrasing): "Bills will add an edge rusher in free agency in a 'creative' way"

25 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I like the idea of All McDermott DNA team lol

Dalton Risner and Chris Lindstrom are making that team.

I would be thrilled to get both of them. Unfortunately it seems like they are both getting picked in the same range.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, Cripple Creek said:

Well, signing a meh guy and selling him as the answer doesn't seem very creative (except on getting buy in from the fan base, that would be a creative sales job).

Draft White, move Edmunds.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I think Edmunds would flourish at OLB... and White is unreal in abilities and MLB play. Faster than most TEs also

Edited by MakeBuffaloGreatAgain

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I think this is converting Logan Thomas to EDGE/OLB and installing packages for Allen as situational pass rusher. 

Beane saw the pro bowl and took note when Saquan and Kamara were rushing the passer. Mckittrick has been working the pass rushing drills. 

Edited by FluffHead

On 3/4/2019 at 12:21 PM, DCOrange said:

On the most recent episode of the Locked on Bills podcast, around 16 minutes in he starts talking about edge rushers and said that he can't divulge specific names, but he's been told that Buffalo will be taking a run at addressing the edge rusher position in "creative ways" this offseason, specifically to plan for the future at the position.

He also specified that they will not pursue Clowney.

I'm guessing this means they'll be making sort of an under-the-radar dart throw of a signing to see if they happen to get lucky and get a guy to breakout. Wouldn't be surprised if maybe it's one of their former Panther guys: Kony Ealy. Seems like people could make an argument that Anthony Barr would be a "creative" approach to adding an edge rusher too since he's been mostly an off-ball LB to this point.

Figured I would bump this with the new report of Bills interested in Frank Clark from Seattle.  Working a trade for a Franchised player isn't really creative though and has been done in the past

Edited by MAJBobby

On 3/6/2019 at 6:54 AM, freddyjj said:

If exclusive Franchise tag is used the player can not negotiate with another team. If non exclusive they can talk to other teams who would surrender 2 1st rd draft picks upon signing.  Not a likely scenario given contract $$ required. 

You can also discuss other compensation with the team without signing player to offer sheet. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Figured I would bump this with the new report of Bills interested in Frank Clark from Seattle.  Working a trade for a Franchised player isn't really creative though and has been done in the past

It's not done consistently, which would make it creative. He didn't say it was unique.

Edited by ndirish1978

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Creative might just mean, not signing a direct FA. 

I think too much attention has gone to this word 'creative' that he threw in at one point. I came away from it feeling that the main thrust of what he was saying was 'hey, they have a specific plan to address the pass rush, I've even heard a name but can't share it. Stay tuned' kind of thing

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What was the purpose of paying Trent Murphy at this point? Stop wasting top assets on the defense. The defense is good. It’s built. Move on. The rest of the team is a wasteland. Fix the offense and STs. Forget about the defense for a bit.

No. This defense is far to be really good, is at the top half of the league but with several deficiencies atop of those is the pass rush, interior and exterior, and stop the run but Clark don't bring that, so that situation still to be solved and don't discount the top of the draft(assuming the Clark deal is done)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What was the purpose of paying Trent Murphy at this point? Stop wasting top assets on the defense. The defense is good. It’s built. Move on. The rest of the team is a wasteland. Fix the offense and STs. Forget about the defense for a bit.

Amen to that. Stop obsessing over an already top 5 defense and fix this offense. I'll give you Clark and 1 DT and the rest better be OL, WR, TE etc....

7 hours ago, poblano said:

No. This defense is far to be really good, is at the top half of the league but with several deficiencies atop of those is the pass rush, interior and exterior, and stop the run but Clark don't bring that, so that situation still to be solved and don't discount the top of the draft(assuming the Clark deal is done)

The defense was top 3 in the league last year and the biggest issue is the passiveness of the DC. If they want to change that and let Mcd be the DC, I’m all for it. Stop wasting all these top line assets on the only unit on the team that’s good. We have probably the 2nd or 3rd best secondary in football. Excellent young Safety’s. 3 corners that have pro bowl potential and the oldest of them is in year 3. Two amazingly athletic LBs. An veteran utility player that can do almost anything you ask of him including rush the passer. The most underrated Bill of the last decade and a top 10 pass rusher in Jerry Hughes. Star, Harry and Phillips inside....And we just paid Murphy. We do not need any more defense. We need almost everything else. Move on and fix the rest of the team. Score some points. No Barr, No Clark, do not waste a pick in the first 4 rounds on Defense. Fix the offense and the special teams.

14 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The defense was top 3 in the league last year and the biggest issue is the passiveness of the DC. If they want to change that and let Mcd be the DC, I’m all for it. Stop wasting all these top line assets on the only unit on the team that’s good. We have probably the 2nd or 3rd best secondary in football. Excellent young Safety’s. 3 corners that have pro bowl potential and the oldest of them is in year 3. Two amazingly athletic LBs. An veteran utility player that can do almost anything you ask of him including rush the passer. The most underrated Bill of the last decade and a top 10 pass rusher in Jerry Hughes. Star, Harry and Phillips inside....And we just paid Murphy. We do not need any more defense. We need almost everything else. Move on and fix the rest of the team. Score some points. No Barr, No Clark, do not waste a pick in the first 4 rounds on Defense. Fix the offense and the special teams.

The defense is good but they weren't as good as the overall ranking suggests.  The red zone defense was bad and they need to be able to generate more pass pressure with the front 4.   Murphy was signed on with the hopes that he would help with the pass pressure but he's often injured and now we lost Kyle Williams, which is not an insignificant loss.  Couple that with Hughes going into a contract year and Lorenzo just about at the end of his career, getting another pass rusher is a priority as well and if there is a good one to be had, then you go for it.  The idea that you put on the blinders to defense and only look at offense would be extremely stupid if you were a GM.   No GM worth his salt would ever consider doing something so dumb.   

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be a heavier focus at looking at the offensive side of the ball but what you are advocating is to forget about the defense and only look to offense.   You are taking away approximately 50% of the players and would end up overreaching on a number of players if you were to do something like this.   As you noted, the defense has a number of good pieces and those parts will help this team field a good defense, but they have not arrived yet.  They NEED another guy aside from Hughes to wreak havoc in the backfield and from my view and I'm pretty sure theirs as well they believe it to be a priority.   And rightfully so.