Joe Marino (paraphrasing): "Bills will add an edge rusher in free agency in a 'creative' way"

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

He was also on the radar for the Panthers that year. 

I want to see those two boards next to each other. No doubt in my mind McD carried notes and scouting reports over. He didn’t trust Whaley’s group. Jmo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like many others, I take this as the Bills looking for versatile players that can give them different rush packages.... as opposed to going after a pure DE like DeMarcus Lawrence or Robert Quinn.

With Lorenzo Alexander getting near the end, I think the SLB is a sneaky need they could throw some good money at in free agency. 

47 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I have a hard time believing that someone like Zimmer would waste someone on his defense. 

It's why it's so puzzling. I can't think of another player who was a mismatch to play LB in that system. The ascension of Danielle Hunter probably made things more difficult for them. 

But I think he's a 3-4 pass rushing OLB but I think he can play 4-3 DE. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hahaha. I was the opposite. I was anyone but Barr in that top 10. I think his best fit is a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4. I'd be surprised if it were him they are thinking of but I do wonder if it means a guy who maybe isn't renowned at the moment as a pass rusher but who they think can have success there.

Agree that his best position is 3-4 pass rushing OLB but I think he can play 4-3 DE for sure and at a high level.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So....Solomon Thomas was reportedly #1 on the Bills board in 2017 per Leroi. Anyone else remember this?

It seems as though Thomas is more effective inside than rushing on the edge. Maybe he can be our Kyle Williams replacement ?

1 hour ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

He also says he thinks slot WR is a priority, whether it's Humphries or a day 2 pick, and they're comfortable with Levi Wallace at CB2.

More fuel for my Zay will be traded and not on the roster week 1 thread hehehe.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

I hear you man, I can see the hysterical whining rants now

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Although I fully understand and endorse the DT possibility, an evil part of me wants it to happen solely for the purpose of ruining posters lives lol

Offense is by far the biggest deficiency, everyone can agree on that.  However, we have more than our pick at #9, in fact we have 9 more picks plus Free Agency (and potential trades) to address offensive holes.

So I don't think anyone is going to freak out if we took an elite prospect like Oliver at #9.  Adding a guy to elevate our #2 defense from last year into a potentially elite defense with a guy like Oliver joining our other young talent like Edmunds and Tre as well as our vets like Hyde, Poyer, Hughes, Star, etc would be great. 

So not sure why some people think everyone will melt down if we went D with the 9th pick.  Not sure how anyone would be mad at that.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Offense is by far the biggest deficiency, everyone can agree on that.  However, we have more than our pick at #9, in fact we have 9 more picks plus Free Agency (and potential trades) to address offensive holes.

So I don't think anyone is going to freak out if we took an elite prospect like Oliver at #9.  Adding a guy to elevate our #2 defense from last year into a potentially elite defense with a guy like Oliver joining our other young talent like Edmunds and Tre as well as our vets like Hyde, Poyer, Hughes, Star, etc would be great. 

So not sure why some people think everyone will melt down if we went D with the 9th pick.  Not sure how anyone would be mad at that.  

Get ready broham, cause it's comin lol. For the record I don't see how myself but I'm telling you now more than a couple will flip around here.

• Like (+1) 1

I would love, love, LOVE if this meant Anthony Barr.

I get the feeling McDermott would have the PERFECT way to use this guy to maximize his potential. He'd be Lorenzo Alexander, but in his prime. 

I really hope this happens.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

So....Solomon Thomas was reportedly #1 on the Bills board in 2017 per Leroi. Anyone else remember this?

While I have more than a few pass rush evaluation skeletons in my cupboard I was one of the few just holding back the hype train on Solomon Thomas. There was talk that year about him being the #1 pick in the draft etc.... I thought he went 10-15 spots too early. That said I have interest at a cheap price as a reclamation project. 

2 hours ago, SWATeam said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they are planning on signing a MLB and moving Edmunds to edge?

Wouldn't it be a better fit to move Edmunds to WLB rather than edge?  Tremaine showed he was good in coverage.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That was my initial thought but then I was thinking he’s too old to solve the issue there. 

Maybe not.  Only 30 and still playing well.  No reason to believe he can't continue into the next few years, and in today's NFL that is the future.  Once Allen's rookie deal is up everything gets recalibrated anyway.

but I suspect, like many have said, it's Anthony Barr.  And I'd be cool with that.

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I have more than a few pass rush evaluation skeletons in my cupboard I was one of the few just holding back the hype train on Solomon Thomas. There was talk that year about him being the #1 pick in the draft etc.... I thought he went 10-15 spots too early. That said I have interest at a cheap price as a reclamation project. 

Yeah I think he was definitely over drafted and hasn't panned out for them. Probably more of a mid first round guy.  He is similar to the types of guys McDermott has made use of in the past, Charles Johnson, Mario Addison, Wes Horton etc. 

• Like (+1) 2