Little talked about option for Bills at 9: Brian Burns

Logic

40 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

It's easy to tell the guys who have done zero research on Burns. The ones who compare him to Maybin. Burns may be the best pure pass rusher in this class. Speed and flexibility to win outside, counter moves and technique to win across the face. Always has a rush plan. Polished and ready to go

I agree, he also seems to have the unique ability like Meatball has to somehow know the snap count and get off the LOS before everyone on the D-Line. The more I watch the more I fell like he won’t drop to us. 

On 3/4/2019 at 9:09 AM, Logic said:

Discussions about the Buffalo Bills' 9th overall pick have centered around offensive tackles, wide receivers, and three-techniques. I see very little talk about edge rushers overall, and ESPECIALLY very little talk about Brian Burns. Before I get to the player, though, let's look at the Bills roster and success (or lack thereof) in rushing the passer.

Before anyone says "it's not a need!", they should consult the Bills 2018 sack numbers: The Bills ranked 26th in sacks. As good as the defense was, imagine how ELITE it could be with an actual pass rush! As everyone knows, McDermott's defense is extremely light on blitz packages. He likes to get pressure with his front four. Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the sack ranking, the Bills front four was not so good at that. Not only can they stand to improve to begin with, but Hughes and Lawson's contracts are both up at the end of this year, and Hughes will be 31 years old. Beane even specifically mentioned recently that sometimes you draft a player because you know that "there may be a position where a couple of guys are up at the end of the coming season". He said this unsolicited, but it sure sounds like he's talking about his DE depth chart. Last but not least, the Bills have been using their high picks on premium positions (CB, LT, QB, ILB), and I don't see that changing. After QB, edge rusher is about as premium as it gets.

This brings us to the point of this thread: Brian Burns, edge rusher, Florida State.

Burns weights 6'5" and, prior to the combine, played at 231 lbs. He weighed in, however, at 249 lbs at the combine, and the added weight did not seem to hinder his speed, as he ran an incredible 4.56 40. He has elite bend, speed, and agility, a quality pass rush plan, and a bevy of counters and moves. His size, athleticism, and bend make me think of Jason Taylor. Don't take my word for it, though, here's some writeups about him from TheDraftNetwork and some videos. If Burns is still on the board at 9 (and he may not be), he looks like a slam dunk pick that will put the Bills defense over the top.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/brian-burns

I actually think he might be better than Bosa and Allen. He reminds me a bit of Dwight Freeny. He is on my list of four guys that I would be happy with.

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Exactly, Burns may have added weight for the combine but he still performed athletically at a high level. He matched Von Miller's 40 time and still posted a solid 3 cone score. Look at Maybin (who many detractors want to compare Burns to). Maybin bulked up but then put up a mediocre 40 time and a bad 3 cone score. He was not able to maintain the same speed and athleticism by adding all that weight. Every player is different and Burns seems to have been able to maintain the necessary athleticism while adding the additional weight.

Maybin had brutal athleticism scores and most of his sacks in college were on plays he wasn’t blocked. That was embarrassing scouting to even consider him a first round pick. That was a terrible FO. We now have a legit FO and Burns is probably a top 5 talent, we would be lucky to have him.

On 3/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, elroy16 said:

That bend makes me feel all tingly inside. 

Von Miller type bend, that is rare 

• Like (+1) 1

Please stop putting Burns and Maybin in the same sentence.  The fact that Burns can move like that after putting on the required weight is what separates him from guys like Maybin.  And he’s had solid production for over 2 years.  I’d have no problem taking him at 9.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Please stop putting Burns and Maybin in the same sentence.  The fact that Burns can move like that after putting on the required weight is what separates him from guys like Maybin.  And he’s had solid production for over 2 years.  I’d have no problem taking him at 9.  

Exactly - while I'd be happy with a couple guys at 9, the more I look at it I would love to have Burns added to the DL. If 3-4 QBs don't end up going before us and Allen doesn't fall as a result, I would like to see Burns as our added pass rusher.

I'd still be happy with someone like Oliver, Wilkins, etc. - I just think our disruptive pass rush is better suited coming from the edge than the DT position in our defensive scheme, as much as we could use another DT.

Edited by ctk232

It's really silly to assume every athletic defensive end is going to be Aaron Maybin. Burns is an eye-popping athlete and has the potential to change the entire complexion of the defense if he's as good as advertised. Maybin's problem was that he didn't even like football. I have my doubts about this regime, but I trust their ability to gauge a player's interest in the sport. 

Burns or Oliver are the two guys I'd love to see in a Bills uni if we stay at 9.

Edited by LSHMEAB

22 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I really like Brian Burns but I think he's too light to play in McD's system. About 15 pounds too light.

Unless there is some thought to playing him at SLB. I doubt thats why they met with him at the combine but you never know they do lack depth at LB and he easily showed he could drop in coverage and cover a lot of ground during the combine drills. Would fill the role Lorenzo Alexander has been in. LB on early downs, put him at DE on pass rushing situations.

I dont think thats it but he does fit the Tremaine Edmunds "freak" LB mold.

I wonder if they have him rated higher than Sweat. Both are very good. Burns isn’t necessarily their prototype in terms of weight. Sweat had the documented heart issue, but were not exactly sure what it is or how severe, so nobody knows how each team individually values the risk of that becoming an issue. 

I think the choice at 9 is one of Burns/Wilkins/Oliver/Hockenson/Dillard/White unless a Quinnen/Bosa/J.Allen somehow fall.

I think Burns has immense upside and is my favoured pick at 9, I would like the 2nd pick to be Irv Smith TE.

Then Buffalo has two young guys (compared to other draftees) to add to the existing young core.