Little talked about option for Bills at 9: Brian Burns

Logic

I’ve moved away from the idea of Hockenson or Metkalf and Burns seems like a much better option at this point. Bills need an edge rusher in the worst way. It is probably the #1 need following free agency period. 

Burns fits the freaky athletic profile that may really interest Beane with the 9th pick. His speed, bend, balance and array of pass rushing moves is impressive. We could still go back and get a wr, tight end or offensive tackle in the 2nd round to add to the offense as there is depth there.  But the defense really needs an upgrade at pass rush and special edge rushers are usually found at the top of the draft. 

12 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I’ve moved away from the idea of Hockenson or Metkalf and Burns seems like a much better option at this point. Bills need an edge rusher in the worst way. It is probably the #1 need following free agency period. 

Burns fits the freaky athletic profile that may really interest Beane with the 9th pick. His speed, bend, balance and array of pass rushing moves is impressive. We could still go back and get a wr, tight end or offensive tackle in the 2nd round to add to the offense as there is depth there.  But the defense really needs an upgrade at pass rush and special edge rushers are usually found at the top of the draft. 

After reading the Ledyard analysis that Yolo recently posted on edge defenders, I've been leaning more in this direction too. 

I don't think they will be in a position to draft a top edge rusher in a long time.   

On 3/4/2019 at 12:33 PM, 947 said:

Watching Burns in his FSU highlights, he looks way too skinny to play 4-3 DE. I hate to say it, but he is built like Maybin was at Notre Dame- who ironically also played at 230lbs & bulked up to almost 250 for the combine.

I know Burns is a much more complete player than Maybin could ever dream of being, but the body comparisons are close.

That's my thought Maybin 2.0. He's too small to be a DE in a 4-3 and would have to have some sick cover skills to be an OLB in our scheme.  As a replacement for Alexander maybe, but at 9 I'd like to get a day 1 impact player and it seems Burns will be a tweener who will need to convert positions. Jason Taylor played at 255+ most of his career

Edited by BillsRdue

18 hours ago, Doc said:

They need an interior pass rusher: Oliver.

I think Oliver is going off the board faster than people think.

16 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Not that excited about a 230lb edge with those stats Seems like a high risk pick at #9

Baltimore would be an excellent fit for him.  They need WRs in the worse way though.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:31 PM, Logic said:

Scroll up in the thread just a little. We've already had the Aaron Maybin discussion. 

And the Bills' issues weren't on the edge? Really? Buffalo's starting right and left end COMBINED for 11 sacks on the year. The Bills finished 26th in sacks. Lawson and Hughes both have expiring contracts at the end of next season and Hughes is 31.

I agree that we need a 3T,  as well, but that's a separate discussion. To say that the Bills don't have a need at edge rusher is just not correct, in my opinion.

I agree that we need a DE that can rush the passer with Hughes more than anything. I've watched a few college games of Burns and he appears to be nothing like Maybin. Burns has quite a few pass rush moves but that outside speed rush where he bends and leans into the OT is something that can't be taught. This guy is going to be a nightmare for any OT to block and I think he has ability to drop into coverage. I would have no problem drafting this guy  if he is still there at pick 9. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree that we need a DE that can rush the passer with Hughes more than anything. I've watched a few college games of Burns and he appears to be nothing like Maybin. Burns has quite a few pass rush moves but that outside speed rush where he bends and leans into the OT is something that can't be taught. This guy is going to be a nightmare for any OT to block and I think he has ability to drop into coverage. I would have no problem drafting this guy  if he is still there at pick 9. 

It's easy to tell the guys who have done zero research on Burns. The ones who compare him to Maybin. Burns may be the best pure pass rusher in this class. Speed and flexibility to win outside, counter moves and technique to win across the face. Always has a rush plan. Polished and ready to go

1 minute ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

It's easy to tell the guys who have done zero research on Burns. The ones who compare him to Maybin. Burns may be the best pure pass rusher in this class. Speed and flexibility to win outside, counter moves and technique to win across the face. Always has a rush plan. Polished and ready to go

True - but you need to assess his frame to make sure he can add weight.  If his body has maxed out it’s gonna be tough for him to be a full-time player.

8 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Sure. But if Burns is the better player then they need Burns.

That's arguable.  But a 230# DE doesn't exactly thrill me as we've been down that road before.

Brian Burns (BB)/Von Miller (VM)/Aaron Maybin (AM) NFL Combine Numbers:

Height: 6’5” (BB) and 6’3” (VM) and 6’4” (AM)

Weight: 249lbs (BB) and 246lbs (VM) and 249lbs (AM)

Arm Length: 33 7/8 (BB) and 33 ½ (VM) and Not Listed

Vertical: 36 (BB) and 37 (VM) and 38 (AM)

Broad Jump: 129 (BB) and 126 (VM) and 124 (AM)

3 Cone: 7.01 (BB) and 6.70 (VM) and 7.52 (AM)

40 Dash: 4.53 (BB) and 4.53 (VM) and 4.78 (AM)

College Sacks:

Brian Burns had 8.5 (2016), 4.5 (2017) and 10 (2018) for 23 total Von Miller had 2 (2007), 3.5 (2008), 17 (2009) and 10.5 for a total of 33, Aaron Maybin had 4 (2007) and 12 (2008) for total of 16. 

From the numbers, Burns appears closer in athleticism to Miller than he does to Maybin. Burns may have added some additional weight, but he was able to maintain elite level athleticism. Plus, Maybin really had 1 year of production at Penn State where as Burns had more productive career over a 3 year span that seems more similar to what Von Miller's career (multiple years with solid sack numbers).

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

True - but you need to assess his frame to make sure he can add weight.  If his body has maxed out it’s gonna be tough for him to be a full-time player.

You think? He weighed at 249 at the combine and showed in his workouts he can actually play at that weight, unlike a lot of guys (Oliver, Kyler) who beef up for the weigh-in and then don't work out. Hughes is 255 if I remember correctly?

I believe 249 is a 25 lbs. gain since the season so you'd think he could put on a little more at 6'5".

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, 947 said:

Watching Burns in his FSU highlights, he looks way too skinny to play 4-3 DE. I hate to say it, but he is built like Maybin was at Notre Dame- who ironically also played at 230lbs & bulked up to almost 250 for the combine.

I know Burns is a much more complete player than Maybin could ever dream of being, but the body comparisons are close.

Dude weighs only 23lb more than Kyler Murray??

Maybe he can convert to TE....

1 minute ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

You think? He weighed at 249 at the combine and showed in his workouts he can actually play at that weight, unlike a lot of guys (Oliver, Kyler) who beef up for the weigh-in and then don't work out. Hughes is 255 if I remember correctly?

I believe 249 is a 25 lbs. gain since the season so you'd think he could put on a little more at 6'5".

Exactly, Burns may have added weight for the combine but he still performed athletically at a high level. He matched Von Miller's 40 time and still posted a solid 3 cone score. Look at Maybin (who many detractors want to compare Burns to). Maybin bulked up but then put up a mediocre 40 time and a bad 3 cone score. He was not able to maintain the same speed and athleticism by adding all that weight. Every player is different and Burns seems to have been able to maintain the necessary athleticism while adding the additional weight.

• Like (+1) 1