Little talked about option for Bills at 9: Brian Burns

Logic

Discussions about the Buffalo Bills' 9th overall pick have centered around offensive tackles, wide receivers, and three-techniques. I see very little talk about edge rushers overall, and ESPECIALLY very little talk about Brian Burns. Before I get to the player, though, let's look at the Bills roster and success (or lack thereof) in rushing the passer.

Before anyone says "it's not a need!", they should consult the Bills 2018 sack numbers: The Bills ranked 26th in sacks. As good as the defense was, imagine how ELITE it could be with an actual pass rush! As everyone knows, McDermott's defense is extremely light on blitz packages. He likes to get pressure with his front four. Unfortunately, as demonstrated by the sack ranking, the Bills front four was not so good at that. Not only can they stand to improve to begin with, but Hughes and Lawson's contracts are both up at the end of this year, and Hughes will be 31 years old. Beane even specifically mentioned recently that sometimes you draft a player because you know that "there may be a position where a couple of guys are up at the end of the coming season". He said this unsolicited, but it sure sounds like he's talking about his DE depth chart. Last but not least, the Bills have been using their high picks on premium positions (CB, LT, QB, ILB), and I don't see that changing. After QB, edge rusher is about as premium as it gets.

This brings us to the point of this thread: Brian Burns, edge rusher, Florida State.

Burns weights 6'5" and, prior to the combine, played at 231 lbs. He weighed in, however, at 249 lbs at the combine, and the added weight did not seem to hinder his speed, as he ran an incredible 4.56 40. He has elite bend, speed, and agility, a quality pass rush plan, and a bevy of counters and moves. His size, athleticism, and bend make me think of Jason Taylor. Don't take my word for it, though, here's some writeups about him from TheDraftNetwork and some videos. If Burns is still on the board at 9 (and he may not be), he looks like a slam dunk pick that will put the Bills defense over the top.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/brian-burns

• Like (+1) 12

He is easily an option for us at 9 and has been IMO.  There are several guys who could or should be there at 9 I would love taking, so pretty sure I will be thrilled with our pick there no matter what.  I trust Beane not to do a "Whitner" or Oakland Raider type blunder, so its going to be someone like Burns, Oliver, Gary, Metcalf, Allen, Sweat, etc.  Hard to predict who falls to us, but pretty sure we are going to get one helluva prospect at #9.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4

Watching Burns in his FSU highlights, he looks way too skinny to play 4-3 DE. I hate to say it, but he is built like Maybin was at Notre Dame- who ironically also played at 230lbs & bulked up to almost 250 for the combine.

I know Burns is a much more complete player than Maybin could ever dream of being, but the body comparisons are close.

Edited by 947
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has been in my top 15 pretty much all year.

I got no problem with it.......just wish we could do it in a trade down

I hear the Maybin comparisons which is a little scary.........Maybin was very weak at the point of attack does anyone have any info if they play even remotely the same?

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes - I doubt very much he is BPA at #9. I'd feel more comfortable moving down a few spots too if we want Burns or Sweat.

The Packers at 12 will take either Sweat or Burns at 12. You want one you take em at 9 

41 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

All I have to say to you is that I KNOW you don't watch enough of Jason Taylor to make a comparison. I effing know it.

I came out of the WOMB watching Jason Taylor clips!

I bet I was watching Jason Taylor clips while you were still building Lego dinosaur ships!

While you're off at work, earning a living, guess what I'm doing? Yep, Jason Taylor clips.

28 minutes ago, 947 said:

Watching Burns in his FSU highlights, he looks way too skinny to play 4-3 DE. I hate to say it, but he is built like Maybin was at Notre Dame- who ironically also played at 230lbs & bulked up to almost 250 for the combine.

I know Burns is a much more complete player than Maybin could ever dream of being, but the body comparisons are close.

Maybe the body comparisons are close, but that's about it.

Maybin was a one-trick pony. He had no pass rush plan, no counter moves, nothing. 

Burns is not that guy.

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes - I doubt very much he is BPA at #9. I'd feel more comfortable moving down a few spots too if we want Burns or Sweat.

Really? After his combine, there's some speculation that he'll go in the top 7 or 8 picks. Trading DOWN to get him? I don't see it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Packers at 12 will take either Sweat or Burns at 12. You want one you take em at 9 

I agree - I have Sweat in my current mock going at #12 to the Packers.

My point is more I suppose that while I wouldn't hate either of these guys at #9 and think they are both very good prospects - I think you are likely passing on superior prospects to take them. It wouldn't be a major reach and it would "fill a need" (I have been a big advocate of taking a pass rushers somewhere in the first three rounds) but to me it is a bit like drafting Jonah Williams at #9. He is a fine player and will be a good pro. But you might have left a potential star on the board. I'd be slightly more comfortable with Burns or Sweat than Jonah because I think Jonah's best position might be guard which is a less premium position than pass rusher.... but they are actually the 11th, 12th and 13th players on my board and I don't have any Quarterbacks graded ahead of them... so it really depends how the board falls.

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I came out of the WOMB watching Jason Taylor clips!

I bet I was watching Jason Taylor clips while you were still building Lego dinosaur ships!

While you're off at work, earning a living, guess what I'm doing? Yep, Jason Taylor clips.

Maybe the body comparisons are close, but that's about it.

Maybin was a one-trick pony. He had no pass rush plan, no counter moves, nothing. 

Burns is not that guy.

Really? After his combine, there's some speculation that he'll go in the top 7 or 8 picks. Trading DOWN to get him? I don't see it.

Yeah, and I bet that two months made all the difference in your Jason Taylor knowledge.

M-E-G-A B-L-O-C-K-S.  Get it right.

I'm certainly MAKING a living, but, considering my time dedicated to this witty response, "earning" is probably a strong term.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

See my response to gonzo above. I have Sweat and Burns right there together as the 11th and 12th ranked players on my board. If you like both and they are both there at #9 and say Haskins was still on the board and someone offered you a 2nd round pick to move down 3 or 4 spots maybe you do it if you think one or other gets to you?

All very speculative I know but depends how the board falls.

• Like (+1) 1