Who would you take, D. K. or T. J.?

Assuming the Bills don't sign any free agents at either position by the time of the draft, who would you pick? You can only draft one.   

171 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming the Bills don't sign any free agents at either position by the time of the draft, who would you pick? You can only draft one.

• D. K. Metcalf
    • T. J. Hockenson

52 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'd have to go with TJ since DK performed so badly on the tests for ability to change direction. The cone drills and 20 yard shuttle really showed some holes in his game. Other than that the guy was off the charts ?

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/04/bn-blitz-newsletter-the-combine-events-d-k-metcalf-ran-slower-than-tom-brady-40-3-cone-drill-20-yard-shuttle/

Yep, big guy who can't cut - kind of need that to be an effective WR in the NFL regardless of your size. 

That being said, honestly not sure I'd go for either at 9 nor would I absolutely hate either. As a big pass catching target if we're going one to one, TJ would be the more holistic football player capable of impacting our offense. But would still all depend on FA up until the draft and how these guys rise and fall on boards.

There's just something about Metcalf that's giving me a red flag and it might just be the one-dimensional freak athlete.

Just now, ctk232 said:

Yep, big guy who can't cut - kind of need that to be an effective WR in the NFL regardless of your size. 

That being said, honestly not sure I'd go for either at 9 nor would I absolutely hate either. As a big pass catching target if we're going one to one, TJ would be the more holistic football player capable of impacting our offense. But would still all depend on FA up until the draft and how these guys rise and fall on boards.

There's just something about Metcalf that's giving me a red flag and it might just be the one-dimensional freak athlete.

I was hoping they'd add more options to the poll too.

Hockenson by a large margin. Especially if the Bills plan on running the football. He’s a beast as a run blocker and would also probably the best receiver on the team.

Of course, this is if the Bills are picking these guys well after 9.

20 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

A lot of shots at DK's workout.  How about TJs?  4.7 in the 40 with build up speed?  Remember he will never be faster than right now.   

After a few weeks of NFL games getting knocked around in the trenches are you OK with a high pick TE running a 4.9 or 5.0 in games?  Will that get open?

Personally I would use the training staff to get DK more flexible - yoga, pilates, stretched, and pool work .  I'll take my chances on the upside of size, speed and hands.   

When i fist saw his 40 I was concerned as well but then i went back to see what Travis Kelce and Gronk ran in their workouts at the combine. But they didn't even compete in drills at the combine..

Tj has a faster 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drill than Travis Kelce did at his pro day and that shows he is agile enough to get open in the NFL.

travis ran a 4.61 at his proday, The 4.7- 40 in the stressful conditions of the NFL combine does not drop him down the board much, if at all.

Tight ends are striders and play faster on the field.

Plus His ball Skills are still far ahead of other people his size

9 is too early for either, but I am much more confident in Hockenson to become a solid player. Metcalf is has a good chance to be this year's Josh Doctson first round flameout.

I'd take DK and if I want a TE I'd take Irv Smith from Bama in rd 2/3

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'd have to go with TJ since DK performed so badly on the tests for ability to change direction. The cone drills and 20 yard shuttle really showed some holes in his game. Other than that the guy was off the charts ?

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/04/bn-blitz-newsletter-the-combine-events-d-k-metcalf-ran-slower-than-tom-brady-40-3-cone-drill-20-yard-shuttle/

They did?  His game is on tape, not his 3 cone.  His game shows he's agile enough to run a post route with ease, which Allen is great at throwing; a 9 route, which Allen can sling; a screen, which Allen can make the strides to throw; a Deep Dig, which Allen can sling; A comeback, which Allen can absolutely rip.  Metcalf is the perfect perimeter WR for the Bills, especially to combine with Robert Foster.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 2

If I had to choose it would be Metcalf.  He has serious potential, but could end up not working out to be top 10 worthy.  It would be a High risk/reward pick.  Hockenson is going tobe good but I dont know that you would have to use the 9th overall pick to get him I know I wouldnt.

8 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I'd take DK and if I want a TE I'd take Irv Smith from Bama in rd 2/3

They did?  His game is on tape, not his 3 cone.  His game shows he's agile enough to run a post route with ease, which Allen is great at throwing; a 9 route, which Allen can sling; a screen, which Allen can make the strides to throw; a Deep Dig, which Allen can sling; A comeback, which Allen can absolutely rip.  Metcalf is the perfect perimeter WR for the Bills, especially to combine with Robert Foster.

I'd be too concerned to risk using the #9 pick on him. The talent level he'll face in the NFL is way higher than college. A one dimensional WR will be chucked at the line of scrimmage and the DC will roll the safety over for support. There's a lot of quality WRs in this draft. I'm not convinced that in 5 years we'll be viewing DK as the best WR from this draft class.

6 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'd be too concerned to risk using the #9 pick on him. The talent level he'll face in the NFL is way higher than college. A one dimensional WR will be chucked at the line of scrimmage and the DC will roll the safety over for support. There's a lot of quality WRs in this draft. I'm not convinced that in 5 years we'll be viewing DK as the best WR from this draft class.

This dude had no problem vs press coverage even against Alabama.  That's one of his strengths.  He knows how to beat the press.  Now where i agree with you is that the talent level is higher.  Where I disagree is that he will have problems with press coverage.  And if a coordinator rolls support towards him that's what you want.  It leaves Foster 1 v 1 to do his thing and it opens things up for the slot WR, HB and the TE in 11 personnel sets.  And it leaves one less person the defense can use to spy Allen unless teams want to begin conceding the 4th rusher or running mush rushes which will give Allen time to find a WR as long as he's patient.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we just run one of our WRs in a straight line and require no cutting - DK all the way. If you want a real NFL WR, I don't see DK being that guy. In any event drafting this high with this talented of a draft class, no way is DK worthy of #9

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

If we just run one of our WRs in a straight line and require no cutting - DK all the way. If you want a real NFL WR, I don't see DK being that guy. In any event drafting this high with this talented of a draft class, no way is DK worthy of #9

Would you consider Demaryius Thomas a real NFL WR?  Alshon Jeffery?  Metcalf is essentially those guys with more explosiveness and speed.  Also to reduce Metcalf to running 9 routes shows ignorance.  He certainly needs to refine his route running but to say he is only good running 9 routes is sheer ignorance and lack of film study.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Also to reduce Metcalf to running 9 routes shows ignorance.  He certainly needs to refine his route running but to say he is only good running 9 routes is sheer ignorance and lack of film study.

Who mentioned he can only run 9 routes?

I must have missed it.

:rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Would you consider Demaryius Thomas a real NFL WR?  Alshon Jeffery?  Metcalf is essentially those guys with more explosiveness and speed.  Also to reduce Metcalf to running 9 routes shows ignorance.  He certainly needs to refine his route running but to say he is only good running 9 routes is sheer ignorance and lack of film study.

His shuttle and three cone are beyond atrocious (Tom Brady had better times). He is a huge target who it seems has issues with bending and changing direction, which is what you also want in a WR. Having top  5 measurables in every other category is awesome, but can he quickly change direction, properly transition through a route, have issues with agility at all including body control? 

It is sheer ignorance to ignore this and fall for a fast 40 time, his frame and a bunch of bench press reps....Plenty of failures like this a littered throughout the NFL

Edit: Alshon Jeffrey is not worth a #9 pick either. Also there are better players and possibly elite talent falling down to us at #9 if QBs start to get pushed up the board. This is too high for Metcalf IMO and we can be better served drafting BPA and going after elite blue chip talent. #9 is going to be a lineman, whether it is OL or DL is yet to be determined. 

Edited by Reed83HOF

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

His shuttle and three cone are beyond atrocious (Tom Brady had better times). He is a huge target who it seems has issues with bending and changing direction, which is what you also want in a WR. Having top  5 measurables in every other category is awesome, but can he quickly change direction, properly transition through a route, have issues with agility at all including body control? 

It is sheer ignorance to ignore this and fall for a fast 40 time, his frame and a bunch of bench press reps....Plenty of failures like this a littered throughout the NFL

Edit: Alshon Jeffrey is not worth a #9 pick either

I'll just say this AGAIN.  Metcalf is not a 1 route player.  His tape doesn't show that.  That said, it doesn't show the entire route tree either and that's the weakness of it.  What his tape shows is that he can run the following routes with high effectiveness:

1.  9

2.  Slant

3.  Post

4.  Screen

What you can add in based on those is the crosser.  Any route that keeps him moving forward is showcasing his strength.  If he's being asked to do double moves (stop and go; zig) then that's where problems are going to surface.  To me, if you are Buffalo, and we are, you swing for the fence and that's what selecting Metcalf would be IF he's available.  You swing for the fence, bring in one TE via FA, another later in the draft; bolster the OL FA and in rd 2.  Supplement the Defense via FA.

Lastly, I didn't ask if Jeffery was worth the #9 pick.  I asked if he and Thomas were NFL quality wide outs.  A question that got glossed over.  Now what might be inferred from that is whether are more athletic and explosive Alshon Jeffery, D. Thomas is worth the #9 pick.

• Like (+1) 1