Who would you take, D. K. or T. J.?

Assuming the Bills don't sign any free agents at either position by the time of the draft, who would you pick? You can only draft one.   

171 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming the Bills don't sign any free agents at either position by the time of the draft, who would you pick? You can only draft one.

• D. K. Metcalf
    • T. J. Hockenson

I'd have to go with TJ since DK performed so badly on the tests for ability to change direction. The cone drills and 20 yard shuttle really showed some holes in his game. Other than that the guy was off the charts ?

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/04/bn-blitz-newsletter-the-combine-events-d-k-metcalf-ran-slower-than-tom-brady-40-3-cone-drill-20-yard-shuttle/

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

DK over TJ.  Especially since it sure seems like we are going to go hard at Jesse James in FA, and if we miss, would assume they will still sign someone. Our WR's on the other hand need SERIOUS help.  

Could always look to draft Irv or Fant in the 2nd or Josh Oliver in the 3rd.  I would draft Oliver in the 3rd regardless if we sign a FA TE though, he's got Jimmy Graham in his prime part 2 written all over him.  

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn’t love either at 9, but is take TJ first for 3 reasons.

1- helps the run game and the pass game.

2- the drop from a TJ to a Kaden Smith in the second round, vs the drop from a Metcalf to a Deboo Samuel etc is more problematic for me.

3- the agility times on Metcalf are scary for many reasons most of which (which is widely ignored around here) is that it shows that he dedicated all of his time to getting fast on the 40 and getting big on the bench. He’s tight. Hes not a fluid athlete right now. He’s a big, fast, strong guy who can do certain things well but who is not a wholistically athletic person. He’s not a “freak” imo because he didn’t perform well across the board. Guys dominate the big show events at the combine all the time only to show that they can’t play football.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 3

A lot of shots at DK's workout.  How about TJs?  4.7 in the 40 with build up speed?  Remember he will never be faster than right now.   

After a few weeks of NFL games getting knocked around in the trenches are you OK with a high pick TE running a 4.9 or 5.0 in games?  Will that get open?

Personally I would use the training staff to get DK more flexible - yoga, pilates, stretched, and pool work .  I'll take my chances on the upside of size, speed and hands.   

• Like (+1) 1

With Metcalf there is just too much risk, production wise, injury wise, all of those things. Yeah he may be great, but he also might be Stephen Hill. I think there is way less risk with Hockenson. I think he's a game changer, but at worst he's a solid tight end. He won't flame out.