Kyle Crabbs of NDT Scouting Mock 6.0

Scorp83

3 hours ago, Buddy Hix said:

I like Crabbs, pretty funny guy.

This mock, though, seems like worst case scenario for me. All of the blue chip talent goes early with few surprises and the Bills draft DK based on his athleticism. Crabbs down plays DK’s agility issues in the blurb, and maybe rightly so, but I would pass on a wideout who can only run north/south.

Word - maybe I'll be proven wrong in the time between now and the draft, but I still can't get past these agility issues in the grand scheme of his athletic freakishness. There's a reason his production was the way it was during his College career, even when taking into consideration his injury. I had to go back to watch more games on him, which wasn't even the sample size I was really hoping to find, and most of his key production came on streak/seam/N-S routes with very little to no lateral movement. On the routes he was asked to run with key single moves, he was late to the spot and often times the ball was already out or he was passed over in the QB's read.

I can see the argument for his athletic upside, but if we pick him at 9 and hypothetically solidify our TE position w/ James and a 2nd rounder. I don't see many pass catching options on our team that can spread the field and especially be threats over the middle beyond Foster, Zay, and McKenzie. Duke appears to be a vertical threat with at least some mobility, but with DK it seems we're committing to the long ball or short routes every play schematically, leaving very little room for middle-depth throws.

I'm no expert so obviously I could be all wrong on this, and we have yet to even get through FA, but if our pass catching options don't change all that dramatically in terms of options, we may not have the production needed to turn this offense around, and be one more top ten pick that didn't pan out for the value. I'd ideally like to trade back if we could, but if we can't and Metcalf were somehow still there in the 2nd for us, I'd be a bit more easy to coming around to him, but at 9 seems high...why not just target Butler if we can in the 2nd or late 1st depending on how FA and Day 1 goes? I could honestly see him as the WR with better upside.

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

kyler murray to jags and metcalf to us. i would be a fan

Not sure if he mocked this before or after, but supposedly the jags will be offering/signing Foles next week at the onset.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

This.  Imo some of the other guys are just slight improvements over Zay Jones.  In this draft I would look to add the best deep threat in the draft.  Its Metcalf or 3 wrs under 200 pds and barely 5-9.  Just watch the simulcast 40.  Metcalf picks up speed and by 30 has another gear even the elite guys dont.  I mean when does it matter if he can run 50 yards faster than anyone? Twice a game when Allen releases some missiles.  That 1 trick added to the 20 yard stop go is all the offense needs.  Add a Te now intermediate you have Zay, Foster and who ever else with wide open space because Metcalf will run off coverage.  Forcing safties to play 20 plus off the line should open running lanes as well.  

Exactly!  You can't teach Height & Speed. With our coaches and offensive style, I think Metcalf would be a good fit for us.

You nailed that Zay Jones comment too! I think most of us are not thinking we need a difference maker at the WR position...not some more weapons. Heck... the Jets had weapons for Darnold better then what we had for Allen & they want to upgrade. 

Some folks may not be sold on Metcalf, I'm not either fully...but he's the ONLY player in this draft that has Superstar Potential! Everyone else grades out as a solid WR... another Woods, Zay Jones, Maybe one of them turns into a Stevie Johnson. But we don't have that AJ Green, Julio, Hopkins, AB, Mike Evans,  type player... I'm willing to role the dice on the only player in this class that resembles those players. 

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Murray is going #1 overall.  Foles is going to Jags.  Jags will take Metcalf IMO.  

I would not be surprised if they did...Metcalf is special no doubt...

But I don't think that's a Marrone/Coughlin-type pick...Especially because they have O-Line needs and may be able to have their pick if they go that way...

And I remember the reports that Marrone was against the Sammy pick...

I do think TE is a sleeper position for the Jags...

We'll see though...I would not be surprised to see them go in a number of directions...?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

But I don't think that's a Marrone/Coughlin-type pick...Especially because they have O-Line needs and may be able to have their pick if they go that way...

We'll see though...I would not be surprised to see them go in a number of directions...?

Yeah I certainly agree with your assessment.  Metcalf is just such a different breed though that it will be tough for the Jags to pass on him IMO.  But you are right, OL certainly is the other most likely pick.  Its going to come down to do they want to give Foles a potential major weapon or buy him more time.  Personally, I think it could go either way as both WR and OL are deep this year and they will have a good one at either position likely on the board still in the 2nd.  

But that WR group is in shambles, and they are about to get thinner with Moncrief about to leave as a FA.  But yeah, based on Coughlin and Marrone, OL does seem more their speed. 

14 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I think the jags take Hock

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, doubledd67 said:

I feels the Bills should Draft both Andy Isabella and Miles Boykin at WR cause i feel they both will be there for the taking from the  back-end of the 1st round to Mid 3-round. I feel Isabella and Boykin would help take the bills passing game to another  and address the offensive line in Free Agency. 

I'll buy that.  Love to have Isabella.

Just to clear up a few misconceptions...

First off, Vertical and broad jump are highly highly correlated to agility.  The muscles you use to jump are the same ones that allow you to change direction...explosive is explosive.  The main difference between the two types of tests, however, is the deceleration (or lack thereof) required to change direction (agility) vs. starting from a stopped position (explosiveness).  Things like footing, center of gravity, weight...all of those factors are multiplied because they apply on deceleration AND acceleration.  DK is at a distinct disadvantage as a tall, heavy receiver with long legs in those types of tests. What happened, at least in some respects, is to be expected.

That said, it doesn't mean he can only run in a straight line...it just means he won't be able to use precision to gain separation.  He may need to round off a route more than you would like, but his combination of size (both reach and weight) combined with his speed would allow him to run away from corners AND separate from them physically.  People keep talking about north/south, but the reality is he would be just as dangerous running east/west.

Plus lets be real...this dude would be a split end in almost any offense.  His route tree is already going to be limited based on the type of coverage he will most often see...he's either going to beat his man physically at the line against press and get vertical, or stem his route if he gets a cushion.  

Bottom line is, a guy that size with his flying 20 time is a nightmare and the kind of cushion CBs will need to give him, combined with JA's velocity, will more than make up for a few milliseconds of time needed to CD.  

If he is actually physical and can actually track/catch the football, he is a steal at #9

Edited by Mikey152
  • Like (+1) 3

On 3/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, BillsBlue said:

I'd rather have nkeal Harry as our move the chains big bodied jump ball guy personally if we can swing a trade down and grab him

He's my 2nd choice after DK. 

On 3/4/2019 at 1:59 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

I'll buy that.  Love to have Isabella.

If we were to draft Isabella... what do we do with Zay Jones??

I like Isabella... but How in the world is he going to take this offense to the next level???  We'll be drafting another WR next year if we draft him. We need a potential Superstar 

Edited by Scorp83
Typo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mikey152 said:

Just to clear up a few misconceptions...

First off, Vertical and broad jump are highly highly correlated to agility.  The muscles you use to jump are the same ones that allow you to change direction...explosive is explosive.  The main difference between the two types of tests, however, is the deceleration (or lack thereof) required to change direction (agility) vs. starting from a stopped position (explosiveness).  Things like footing, center of gravity, weight...all of those factors are multiplied because they apply on deceleration AND acceleration.  DK is at a distinct disadvantage as a tall, heavy receiver with long legs in those types of tests. What happened, at least in some respects, is to be expected.

That said, it doesn't mean he can only run in a straight line...it just means he won't be able to use precision to gain separation.  He may need to round off a route more than you would like, but his combination of size (both reach and weight) combined with his speed would allow him to run away from corners AND separate from them physically.  People keep talking about north/south, but the reality is he would be just as dangerous running east/west.

Plus lets be real...this dude would be a split end in almost any offense.  His route tree is already going to be limited based on the type of coverage he will most often see...he's either going to beat his man physically at the line against press and get vertical, or stem his route if he gets a cushion.  

Bottom line is, a guy that size with his flying 20 time is a nightmare and the kind of cushion CBs will need to give him, combined with JA's velocity, will more than make up for a few milliseconds of time needed to CD.  

If he is actually physical and can actually track/catch the football, he is a steal at #9

And to add... just because a WR doesn't change direction that well... doesn't mean he can't be a stud WR. Mike Evans is horrible at changing direction during his routes... but he's also 1 of the all time WR's to have 5 straight 1,000 yard receiving years back to back. 

13 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

They have these things called "agility drills," and people called "coaches" who can be utilized to help Metcalf run better routes.  What they cannot coach is his size and speed.  He's going to be a superstar.  Draft him and get your popcorn ready.

Just don’t get a drink because with his drops you’ll be throwing that drink, but that’s assuming he stays healthy. 

Not excited about this scenario, we get a questionable WR and then every top o-lineman is picked in the rest of round one and we get the left-over OT in round 2. Nope, not working for me. We need a top o-lineman before WR.

12 hours ago, CSBill said:

Not excited about this scenario, we get a questionable WR and then every top o-lineman is picked in the rest of round one and we get the left-over OT in round 2. Nope, not working for me. We need a top o-lineman before WR.

Think about the Dolphines game when Clay dropped it at the end... Allen needs weapons. O-Line is deep... I'm good getting a guard or tackle in the 2nd or 3rd. But the potential a DK can bring... is huge! 

I also like K'Neal Harry & Miles Boykin but man... I'd rather have a potential Superstar instead of a decent starter. 

On 3/4/2019 at 9:47 AM, TC in St. Louis said:

They have these things called "agility drills," and people called "coaches" who can be utilized to help Metcalf run better routes.  What they cannot coach is his size and speed.  He's going to be a superstar.  Draft him and get your popcorn ready.

You do realize he is in the 3rd percentile for cutting compared to his WR drafted peers? He can live, eat, breathe agility drills and he wont catch up. And yes you can coach/drill anything skill to some extent.

Serious question: They get a couple shots at the 40, do they not on the agility drills? I’ve read how DK slipped, but there’s more than one agility drill. Did he do poorly across the board there, and only get one shot? Regardless, I know what he’ll be working on heading toward his pro day! 

Edited by Augie

I would bet alot of money that Murray NEVER makes it to pick #7.

Not a bad read though. DK Metcalf is going to be star IMO. I'd be fully on board with this pick.

18 hours ago, Yav said:

Just don’t get a drink because with his drops you’ll be throwing that drink, but that’s assuming he stays healthy. 

Do you like Harry?

20 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I would bet alot of money that Murray NEVER makes it to pick #7.

Not a bad read though. DK Metcalf is going to be star IMO. I'd be fully on board with this pick.

Do you like Harry?

Ya think? lol

I believe Harry is the best WR in this draft, and yea that's part homer but still watching this kid play he's amazing. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Yav said:

Ya think? lol

I believe Harry is the best WR in this draft, and yea that's part homer but still watching this kid play he's amazing. 

I like them both... Harry is going to be nice. But I don't think he'll be a Superstar. If we have a chance to get that type of player get him...but if not... I'm not mad if we draft Harry ?