Predicting the 2019 QB class/Draft

Get your predictions on the board.

1. Kyler Murray - will go 1/1 to Arizona.  I've been on it for a while.  The only game difference maker in this class, goes to AZ to play for the coach that runs the system he excels in.  

2. Wil Grier -  That's right...not haskins, not drew lock....Grier....the only other QB in this class worth taking in round 1.  Period.  His tape is good....high completion PCT (yes that is a stat, and it matters.) coupled with his relatively deep depth of target says he reads the field well, AND makes good decisions when he sees something downfield.  Good arm, good size, and good stats...very good tape.  Some team will end up with a winner here.

3 Haskins.....I think Haskins won't be all the good..but he'd benefit on a team like the Giants that has a good young supporting cast...but otherwise, I don't see anything special here.

4. Drew Lock...I am huge MIZZOU fan...watched this kid play alot.  Love him as my college QB...don't love him as a pro.  Kid doesn't anticipate very well..and deeper throws outside the numbers are not very good.  For being as measuably fast as he is...he does not run well nor have a good pocket feel.  ineficient trying to escape pass rush.  I don't see a lot of NFL success in his future.

5...Everyone else.  

It's really a 1 and 1/2 man class.  Murray....and Grier...if he lands somewhere that he can get on a field....I still think Mason Rudolph will show well when he finally plays, but stuck behind Big Ben in pittsburg.

I also think it is a two man class - but I am more conventional on which two I believe it to be - it's Murray and then Haskins for me. Murray is a first round talent (wouldn't quite have him as a genuine top 10 talent but QBs get pushed up and I have no issue with him going in the top 10) and Haskins is right on that 1st round / 2nd round borderline for me. He will probably go in the top 10 too.

Lock is my QB3 I think he is a 3rd rounder who could well go in the 2nd. I suspect he will get a chance to be a starter in the NFL but there is some Blake Bortles to him - I think he will be too turnover prone to ever really establish himself as a guy a team commits to.

Grier has just (this weekend) nudged ahead of Daniel Jones as my QB4. Before anyone says that is because Jones had a poor combine workout let me assure them it is not. I started from a low base on Will Grier - the first time I watched him play was his meltdown vs Oklahoma State in 2017 and he has been rebuilding himself in my eyes ever since. I have just bumped his grade up to a late 3rd round / early 4th round after another tape review. He started my process with a provisional 6th round grade so he has moved in the right direction as I've watched more of his 2018 tape. Daniel Jones to me is just so limited. He is a game manager, decent backup, AJ McCarron type to me. I think he will go earlier though - he is a perfect style fit for what the Grudens look for - a QB to run their system, not try and do too much, play in the structure of the offense etc. I am guessing he is gone by the end of Day 2 to either Oakland or Washington. If he goes in the 1st round a team is really going to regret it.

Basically I have 9 draftable Quarterbacks this year:

#1 Kyler Murray - 1st round

#2 Dwayne Haskins - 1st / 2nd round

#3 Drew Lock - 3rd round

#4 Will Grier - 3rd / 4th round

#5 Daniel Jones - 4th round

#6 Brett Rypien - 5th round

#7 Jarrett Stidham - 6th round

#8 Ryan Finley - 6th round / 7th round

#9 Tyree Jackson - 7th round / UDFA (his tape is UDFA but his potential is so off the charts he is worth throwing a late round pick at)

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I also think it is a two man class - but I am more conventional on which two I believe it to be - it's Murray and then Haskins for me. Murray is a first round talent (wouldn't quite have him as a genuine top 10 talent but QBs get pushed up and I have no issue with him going in the top 10) and Haskins is right on that 1st round / 2nd round borderline for me. He will probably go in the top 10 too.

Lock is my QB3 I think he is a 3rd rounder who could well go in the 2nd. I suspect he will get a chance to be a starter in the NFL but there is some Blake Bortles to him - I think he will be too turnover prone to ever really establish himself as a guy a team commits to.

Grier has just (this weekend) nudged ahead of Daniel Jones as my QB4. Before anyone says that is because Jones had a poor combine workout let me assure them it is not. I started from a low base on Will Grier - the first time I watched him play was his meltdown vs Oklahoma State in 2017 and he has been rebuilding himself in my eyes ever since. I have just bumped his grade up to a late 3rd round / early 4th round after another tape review. He started my process with a provisional 6th round grade so he has moved in the right direction as I've watched more of his 2018 tape. Daniel Jones to me is just so limited. He is a game manager, decent backup, AJ McCarron type to me. I think he will go earlier though - he is a perfect style fit for what the Grudens look for - a QB to run their system, not try and do too much, play in the structure of the offense etc. I am guessing he is gone by the end of Day 2 to either Oakland or Washington. If he goes in the 1st round a team is really going to regret it.

Basically I have 9 draftable Quarterbacks this year:

#1 Kyler Murray - 1st round

#2 Dwayne Haskins - 1st / 2nd round

#3 Drew Lock - 3rd round

#4 Will Grier - 3rd / 4th round

#5 Daniel Jones - 4th round

#6 Brett Rypien - 5th round

#7 Jarrett Stidham - 6th round

#8 Ryan Finley - 6th round / 7th round

#9 Tyree Jackson - 7th round / UDFA (his tape is UDFA but his potential is so off the charts he is worth throwing a late round pick at)

Pretty spot on IMO. However, we've all seen how QB's get drafted ahead of their projected value. So starting with Lock, I'd need to bump up every QB you list one whole round

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Not disagreeing .. but these projections don't bode well for a trade up to the Bills at #9 for a QB

They're just projections.  Most people have Haskins going before the Bills pick.  And Omar Kelly is saying the Broncos want Lock.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There is no way lock and Jones make it to 3rd and 4th rounds 

I agree. My post above is grading not mocking.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They're just projections.  Most people have Haskins going before the Bills pick.  And Omar Kelly is saying the Broncos want Lock.

Everybody saying the Broncos want Lock presume they want him in the 1st round. I've likened it to the Steelers and Rudolph last year. Everyone knew they were high on him but they didn't pull the trigger in the 1st or even the 2nd. My personal view is Lock will make it to Denver's 2nd pick and they will select him there.

8 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Wil Grier -  That's right...not haskins, not drew lock....Grier....the only other QB in this class worth taking in round 1.  Period.  His tape is good....high completion PCT (yes that is a stat, and it matters.) coupled with his relatively deep depth of target says he reads the field well, AND makes good decisions when he sees something downfield.  Good arm, good size, and good stats...very good tape.  Some team will end up with a winner here.

Isn't that what they said about the last "great" quarterback coming out of W. Virginia?

I actually really like Lock. I don't like Murray becuase I hate small quarterbacks. I think he might be good, but also think he might get killed. Haskins is interesting but a 1 year guy on a loaded team. Grier reminds me of JP Losman without the elite arm strength, but I do think he has a chance to be good in the right situation. I also like Stidham more than most. But I'm really just glad we don't need one. It's a refreshing feeling. 

7 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, glad the Bills don't have to choose from this lot.

Likewise. Haskins coming out after 1 year starting and Murray doing an about turn on which sport he wanted to play have saved this from being a 2013 like group... because I think they are Quarterbacks who at least deserve to be in the conversation as first rounders but this overall is a bad Quarterback class. 

For some context if you were slotting these guys into last year's class... Murray would have been my QB4, Haskins would be my QB6 and Lock would be my QB9.