Britcoms—Watch Any?

Lots of TV show themed threads here recently, I thought I’d throw in another one, kind of a niche segment, but sometimes that Brit humor just seems to hit the spot. Any favs?

My list in no particular order, would have to include:

-Come Fly With Me

-Keeping Up Appearances

-Are You Being Served?

One of my favourite subjects!

There are a few of the old classics I'd recommend:

Only Fools & Horses

Porridge

Citizen Smith

The there are a few more modern ones:

I'm Alan Partridge

Phoenix Nights

Early Doors

Of course, comedy is just like food, music and looking for a partner, everyone had different tastes. I never found Keeping Up Appearances funny although anyone we see now wearing a scruffy white vest immediately gets christened "Onslow". 

The actor who plays Onslow (Geoffrey Hughes) also plays a character in the above mentioned Early Doors. Sadly, Hughes is no longer with us.

Are You Being Served from what I remember was very innuendo laden? Mrs Slocambe going on about her "*****" quite a lot. Typical 70's British fayre.

Come Fly with me is more of a mocumentary than a sitcom. Some of the characters are funny, some not so much. If you like Come Fly With me than I suggest Little Britain to you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

My wife watches quite a few:

- Keeping Up Appearances

- To the Manor Born

- As Time Goes By

- Good Neighbors

- Vicar of Dibley

- Miranda

- Last of the Summer Wine

- Gavin and Stacey  (James Corden)

Not my cup of tea but they are well done. 

My personal favorite is Absolutely Fabulous (all-time great characters). Others:  Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, The Office

Not a sitcom but I'm a big fan of the Graham Norton Show. He's brilliant. Not the same ol' "I'm here to pitch my movie" interview show. Guests let their guard down and Norton is hilarious.  

As for dramas, my favorites:

- Killing Eve

- Prime Suspect

- Fleabag

- Happy Valley

I'm sure there are more. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ocemur said:

The original Coupling is the funniest sitcom I've ever seen.

The original “Office” also started out across the pond and you can actually find some of the original pranks on this one that were redone in the US version (like the jello covered office supplies)

If you like The Young Ones then you'll appreciate Bottom. 

I'd like to add The Inbetweeners to the modern day list to watch.

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The original “Office” also started out across the pond and you can actually find some of the original pranks on this one that were redone in the US version (like the jello covered office supplies)

Yes, The Office was released 2000/1 over here. Brilliantly done. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Fawlty Towers—if you’re a fan of John Cleese (comedic genius) then this is must-see 

If you want to go back THAT far 

Monty Python

Benny Hill 

My wife likes Killing Eve.  

What was the crime show that did backwards?  the guy had burned face.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Lots of TV show themed threads here recently, I thought I’d throw in another one, kind of a niche segment, but sometimes that Brit humor just seems to hit the spot. Any favs?

My list in no particular order, would have to include:

-Come Fly With Me

-Keeping Up Appearances

-Are You Being Served?

I love KUA even though it is pretty much the same episode redone over and over again.  There are many many Hyacinths running around here in the US so the character is very relevant.  I enjoyed Benny Hill back in the day.  Fawlty Towers I have seen somewhat.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If you want to go back THAT far 

Monty Python

Benny Hill 

My wife likes Killing Eve.  

What was the crime show that did backwards?  the guy had burned face.  

That one I am not familiar with--but is it worth locating/watching?

24 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

That one I am not familiar with--but is it worth locating/watching?

My wife was interested.  I watched but didn't fully pay attention.

Crime Drama..  REDRUM.  it starts with a murder then works backwards to the beginning  

maybe it was mentioned

Rellik    = killeR

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/sep/09/rellik-yet-another-gritty-drama-only-back-to-front

• Like (+1) 1

Monty Python

Benny Hill

Then there’s the PBS lineup....

Regular viewing by me and my wife...

Keeping up Appearances

As Time Goes By

My wife and I watched them on and off..

Fawlty Towers

Blott on the Land

To the Manor Born

Are You Being Served

Last of the Summer Wine

• Thank you (+1) 1

I watch Hancock’s Half Hour with my mum, sewing her laugh or cry, priceless.

i was (am) a Rik Mayall fan. Watch a lot from Filthy, Rich and Catflap, the Bottom Series (& live versions) to the Young Ones, New statesman, the Comic Strip Presents- did Vim Fuego inspire the look for Dave Mustaine?captain Flashart in Black Adder. The movie Guest House Paradiso nearly killed my brother and I- we still use the phrase “feeeeeeeeb” when visiting. Alan Barstard. 

Horrible day when heard he had died. Eddie’s comment along the lines ‘what a bastard’.

as a young kid, we were allowed to watch the Goodies followed by Dr. Who. Was a bit young for Dr. Who at time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Also wanted to give an honorable mention to the "Yes, Minister" and its sequel "Yes, Prime Minister" series that showed the behind the scenes political machinations at No. 10 Downing Street during what was contemporary 80's Britain--very humorous but also probably spot on in terms of how the sausage gets made politically in ruling circles. The premise of a newbie PM who tries to shake things up and is shut down at every opportunity by the learned establishment types that creates the inherent tension in the show is definitely worth a watch, imho.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Also wanted to give an honorable mention to the "Yes, Minister" and its sequel "Yes, Prime Minister" series that showed the behind the scenes political machinations at No. 10 Downing Street during what was contemporary 80's Britain--very humorous but also probably spot on in terms of how the sausage gets made politically in ruling circles. The premise of a newbie PM who tries to shake things up and is shut down at every opportunity by the learned establishment types that creates the inherent tension in the show is definitely worth a watch, imho.  

The "Minsters" don't always get the recognition they deserve. Very subtle, satirical humour.

For a more modern Britcom give Derry Girls a go.

• Thank you (+1) 1