Is an Ivy League education much better than public universities/colleges?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I’m sorry you didn’t get into Miami...?

Oh don't you worry, I got accepted there........I just chose a much more fun option in OU. I didn't have the required 6 different pairs of khaki pants upon entry for Miami.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I always wondered how, after being expelled from Harvard for cheating on a Spanish exam (paid a classmate to take the test for him), Ted Kennedy managed to get back in?

Because he finally figured out who the right person was to pay (ie. Not another student).........

22 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Oh don't you worry, I got accepted there........I just chose a much more fun option in OU. I didn't have the required 6 different pairs of khaki pants upon entry for Miami.

Well now I know you’re either lying or just insane! 

21 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a advisor at a Southern California University (I work with PhD students)

As with all schools it is more about the quality of the teacher's/major professor's so it really depends on the major.

A small program can have world known faculty.....which draws in the quality students

Google can't seem to find that school.

Depends on the public U, which can be a "public Ivy" like Berkeley, Michigan, UNC, Binghamton etc. or a much lesser commodity such as Alabama, Montana, Iowa State or one of the mining schools.  Heavily factored into the equation is the quality of the faculty and student body.  The public Ivys have top quality faculty and A grade students by and large.

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am a advisor at a Southern California University (I work with PhD students)

As with all schools it is more about the quality of the teacher's/major professor's so it really depends on the major.

A small program can have world known faculty.....which draws in the quality students

I auditioned, and was accepted, at Curtis, Julliard, and Eastman - never would have imagined that Cornell’s music faculty was among the finest in the world.  Studied theory and composition with 2 Pulitzer Prize winners (Karel Husa, Steven Stucky), music history w/Donald Grout and Don Randel, performance with Malcom Bilson.  

On top of all that, got to take Astro 101 with Carl Sagan,  history w/L. Pierce Williams and Walter LaFeber, a boatload of other sh*t with great profs, plus experienced one of the most beautiful campuses anywhere. Never would have happened at a music conservatory.

Ezra Cornell stated, “I would found an institution where any person could find instruction in any study” - he certainly kept that promise.

Now, I’d like to go back to study Enology and Viticulture - maybe mead would join me??

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I auditioned, and was accepted, at Curtis, Julliard, and Eastman - never would have imagined that Cornell’s music faculty was among the finest in the world.  Studied theory and composition with 2 Pulitzer Prize winners (Karel Husa, Steven Stucky), music history w/Donald Grout and Don Randel, performance with Malcom Bilson.  

On top of all that, got to take Astro 101 with Carl Sagan,  history w/L. Pierce Williams and Walter LaFeber, a boatload of other sh*t with great profs, plus experienced one of the most beautiful campuses anywhere. Never would have happened at a music conservatory.

Ezra Cornell stated, “I would found an institution where any person could find instruction in any study” - he certainly kept that promise.

Now, I’d like to go back to study Enology and Viticulture - maybe mead would join me??

Yeah, but Andy Bernard is an alum, so they really let anyone in.

Our interview process for new graduates -

Interviewer: Where did you go to school?

Graduate: Purdue.

Interviewer: That's a great school - the programs there are excellent.

Our interview process for people with 5-10 years experience -

Interviewer: Do you have a bachelor's degree?

Candidate: Yes.

• 1 year later...
On 3/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, The Senator said:

Hopefully, Sagan was present at most of the lectures.  My friend told me that he was able to take a Sagan course (don't remember the title anymore) and Sagan did perhaps five lectures total and office hours were few and far between.  Trying to remember who taught Intro American History to 1865 while I was there during the 1980's.