Is an Ivy League education much better than public universities/colleges?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not sure how true this still is but I was told that Ivy League schools have extension programs, essentially night school, where you get the same diploma for a lot less money. And it's easier getting in. Anyone know about this?

I don't know about that, but I do know that in Virginia, a student is guaranteed admission into a state university such as UVA and William and Mary if they complete two years of required coursework ar a VA Community College and earn a designated GPA( think it is 3.3). That's a great deal, especially if you could not get into UVA right out of high school, or if you were looking to save about $40K ( in state) . Your 4-year degree still comes from UVA or William and Mary( which is actually harder to get in than UVA)

As others have alluded to...it’s a self selecting population. In my experience (business schools) a lot of ivy leaguers have an inherent competitiveness that they carry over from academia to business. I’ve worked with/for/managed great ivy grads and I’ve worked with/managed poor ivy grads...just like any other school. However, unless that person was gifted a legacy admission, they all had some internal drive to succeed. 

Additionally one of the worst employees I ever had was a Wharton grad(MBA.) The worst kind of employee is one that drags their co-workers performance down and this person was the bow anchor of the titanic. One of those people that knew everything to the detriment of those around them and the overall business. Took me a year to get them “promoted” to a different division. Which to use a football analogy for people like the one I’m referencing, having an Ivy League degree can be a former 1st round pick that hasn’t quite lived up to expectations. There’s a team out there willing to take a shot on them turning it around. In my experience it will at a minimum get them through the application filters and usually an interview at the least.

Finally, I have a post-grad from GaTech and have earned 12 graduate credits from Harvard. Tech was way more challenging. Not completely apples to apples, but I still have nightmares about late/missing assignments at Tech.

Edited by Kevbeau

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Except that you wanted to make it a crap show.  George W Bush is one of many who got a seat because of legacy.  It happens to people from a wide variety of backgrounds.  I know of a person who got into Cornell strictly because her father could throw an immense amount of weight  around over being admitted.  She clearly lacked the grades and background for her chosen field of study to be admitted based on her credentials.  

That's true, but out of a whole freshman class at an Ivy, how many are from families as high up the food chain as Bush?  My assumption is that while legacy provides a leg up and/or acts as a big tie-breaker, there isn't a very big % that is getting in based strictly on their family or contributions to the alumni fund.

I'm one of six and none of us got into Notre Dame and U Chicago with our inferior grades despite Dad & Mom's degrees.

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

That's true, but out of a whole freshman class at an Ivy, how many are from families as high up the food chain as Bush?  My assumption is that while legacy provides a leg up and/or acts as a big tie-breaker, there isn't a very big % that is getting in based strictly on their family or contributions to the alumni fund.

I'm one of six and none of us got into Notre Dame and U Chicago with our inferior grades despite Dad & Mom's degrees.

A fair number I would guess.  The Bush's are known publicly because they chose to get into politics.  Most wealthy people deliberately avoid the public show if they can help it.  Also, a fair number produce their wealth because they have exceptional intellect which is passed down to the next generation.  Agreed that most of the time a B student in high school from a rich family is not going to leap frog an A plus student from a middle class family.  However, the contest is usually between 2 evenly matched students academically with the legacy put the finger on the scale in favor of the rich student.

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Yup.  My roommate for my first 2 years at Cornell was a legacy and had no business being there.  Nice guy but struggled to pass every class.

My room mate at CU flunked out of Hotel School, the easy one, where we put all the football and hockey players.

Now, he owns 200 McDonalds restaurants.

11 hours ago, Mark80 said:

When I was there, most classes had a service available where you could pay to get the lecture notes.  Also, most lecture PPT slides were available online.  Finally, my major (ILR) was a lot of stuff repeated year after year after year in various classes.  I mean, how many levels of Organizational Behavior classes do you really need?  Same with Labor Law and Collective Bargaining classes.  The 400 level classes were basically the same as the 100 and 200 level ones.

Also, I never claimed to get high grades or anything.  I had friends in the Engineering school who had 4.0+ GPAs.  They worked way harder than I did and it was reflected in their grades.  I was fine getting by with my High 2s Low 3s. 

Nah, I just learned at a young age how to manipulate schooling to make it as easy as possible.  And, just because I crammed and learned things in one day, doesn't mean I retained it for more than that day or two!

Two of my most successful friends were ILR grads - one a CEO of a Mobil subsidiary, the other an extremely successful and brilliant  attorney.

BTW, is Cornell the only place that you can earn a 4.3 GPA?

20 minutes ago, The Senator said:

My room mate at CU flunked out of Hotel School, the easy one, where we put all the football and hockey players.

The Hotelies I knew were all from rich families. 

And owning a McDonalds (or 200) is a matter of having the money to buy one in the first place and then going from there.  Which reminds me that my parents could have bought 2 McDonalds back in the late 70's if not for my lazy uncle. ?

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Hotelies I knew were all from rich families. 

And owning a McDonalds (or 200) is a matter of having the money to buy one in the first place and then going from there.  Which reminds me that my parents could have bought 2 McDonalds back in the late 70's if not for my lazy uncle. ?

Well, the guy I reference, yeah he inherited the first hundred or so places from his dad, also a CU hotelie.

But I had plenty of hotelie friends, guys and gals, that were not rich, yet managed to claw their way up.

37 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Had a Statler stooge at my student residence.  Also, we had an ILR guy try out for the football team.  He quit after one day of being in the football program.  He said most of the players were dirty because they lacked any real skill.  The best part of my residence was all the Martha Van girls (human ecology).

8 hours ago, Kevbeau said:

As others have alluded to...it’s a self selecting population. In my experience (business schools) a lot of ivy leaguers have an inherent competitiveness that they carry over from academia to business. I’ve worked with/for/managed great ivy grads and I’ve worked with/managed poor ivy grads...just like any other school. However, unless that person was gifted a legacy admission, they all had some internal drive to succeed. 

Additionally one of the worst employees I ever had was a Wharton grad(MBA.) The worst kind of employee is one that drags their co-workers performance down and this person was the bow anchor of the titanic. One of those people that knew everything to the detriment of those around them and the overall business. Took me a year to get them “promoted” to a different division. Which to use a football analogy for people like the one I’m referencing, having an Ivy League degree can be a former 1st round pick that hasn’t quite lived up to expectations. There’s a team out there willing to take a shot on them turning it around. In my experience it will at a minimum get them through the application filters and usually an interview at the least.

Finally, I have a post-grad from GaTech and have earned 12 graduate credits from Harvard. Tech was way more challenging. Not completely apples to apples, but I still have nightmares about late/missing assignments at Tech.

One of the dumbest, most ignorant, most arrogant idiots I’ve ever had the displeasure to work with, flaunted his Harvard MBA.

Stupid sh^t went to Tufts, somehow got in.

9 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Well, the guy I reference, yeah he inherited the first hundred or so places from his dad, also a CU hotelie.

But I had plenty of hotelie friends, guys and gals, that were not rich, yet managed to claw their way up.

We once banked a Wendy’s guy who was just..... a guy, but the guy he worked for loved his work ethic. We NEVER financed any F&B operations without super solid backing. The big honcho backed his employee to open his own locations at about $250k per location for FF&E to open the first couple places. These are dollars from roughly 30 years ago. Just a couple years later we financed a house for him that would now be easily north of $2 mil. The right joint can kill it! 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

We once banked a Wendy’s guy who was just..... a guy, but the guy he worked for loved his work ethic. We NEVER financed any F&B operations without super solid backing. The big honcho backed his employee to open his own locations at about $250k per location for FF&E to open the first couple places. These are dollars from roughly 30 years ago. Just a couple years later we financed a house for him that would now be easily north of $2 mil. The right joint can kill it! 

$250K for FF&E 30 years ago?  That’d be about a mil today, yes?

6 minutes ago, The Senator said:

One of the dumbest, most ignorant, most arrogant idiots I’ve ever had the displeasure to work with, flaunted his Harvard MBA.

Stupid sh^t went to Tufts, somehow got in.

That’s funny! My wife used to work with an arrogant %&*# who would always mention his Harvard connection within the first 10 minutes. That’s about average. Annoyed her to no end!

They attended an event at St Jude Children’s Hospital with an old friend of ours. The guy went on and on about Harvard, until our friend said “yeah, I did that too, no big deal, can we move on?”  Our buddy had never even mentioned it to us, but after selling his business for gazillions, he went to Harvard for kicks. He only mentioned it to shut the guy up! CLASSIC moment! 

4 minutes ago, The Senator said:

$250K for FF&E 30 years ago?  That’d be about a mil today, yes?

I bet close to that! It was CRAZY. And he still killed it despite the heavy debt service. You need to get your money back fast on that stuff. 

Might have been 25 years, but still.... 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s funny! My wife used to work with an arrogant %&*# who would always mention his Harvard connection within the first 10 minutes. That’s about average. Annoyed her to no end!

They attended an event at St Jude Children’s Hospital with an old friend of ours. The guy went on and on about Harvard, until our friend said “yeah, I did that too, no big deal, can we move on?”  Our buddy had never even mentioned it to us, but after selling his business for gazillions, he went to Harvard for kicks. He only mentioned it to shut the guy up! CLASSIC moment! 

I once had a stupid sh^t SVP of sales/marketing. Dude was dumber than dirt.  I didn’t make the hiring decision, but I made the firing one.

Guy was a Providence College grad, a fine school, but he simply  could not shut the f**k up about what he repeatedly and insistently called his ‘second alma mater’, Stanford.

Turns out he attended one of SU’s 8-week summer beauty pageants, and got some kind of certificate.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I once had a stupid sh^t SVP of sales/marketing. Dude was dumber than dirt.  I didn’t make the hiring decision, but I made the firing one.

Guy was a Providence College grad, a fine school, but he simply  could not shut the f**k up about what he repeatedly and insistently called his ‘second alma mater’, Stanford.

Turns out he attended one of SU’s 8-week summer beauty pageants, and got some kind of certificate.

When my wife was approached to leave a bank she had been with for 18 years, she eventually interviewed with he guy she would report to. He asked “why don’t you have any advanced degrees?”. She said “because I was working for a living and learning in the real world.” Good answer, I thought. He had shared he went to Duke, then Harvard. She’s a bit sensitive about her math degree fron a decent school. 

HIS boss called after the meeting and asked how it went. He told my wife the guy loved her. She responded she was skeptical about the position, because of Mr Pompous Education, but eventually took the job and they are super tight now. He confided that he only got into Duke because he was really good at golf, and Harvard only took him after he worked on Wall Steet and nobody cared about his grades at Duke. Awesome guy! What a great fit for both of them! Sometimes life does work out for the best. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:43 PM, Another Fan said:

I was talking with someone this morning about college.  We were talking about how in New Jersey Rutgers the state university is just a big pain in the ass in many ways.  There’s even a nickname RU screw for it.  

Then she mentioned Ivy League schools are easier than Rutgers.  In the sense that 99% of students graduate there versus 50% at Rutgers.  I mean yes obviously it’s much harder to get into an Ivy League school but with those graduation rates it seems the teachers want the students to succeed.  Large public universities that’s often not the case, professors could care less.  

Education wise are those schools any better though?  Seems like it’s just a name  

No one pays $250k to have their kid fail out of school.  Grade inflation is real.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

When my wife was approached to leave a bank she had been with for 18 years, she eventually interviewed with he guy she would report to. He asked “why don’t you have any advanced degrees?”. She said “because I was working for a living and learning in the real world.” Good answer, I thought. He had shared he went to Duke, then Harvard. She’s a bit sensitive about her math degree fron a decent school. 

HIS boss called after the meeting and asked how it went. He told my wife the guy loved her. She responded she was skeptical about the position, because of Mr Pompous Education, but eventually took the job and they are super tight now. He confided that he only got into Duke because he was really good at golf, and Harvard only took him after he worked on Wall Steet and nobody cared about his grades at Duke. Awesome guy! What a great fit for both of them! Sometimes life does work out for the best. 

Indeed.  As John Lennon said, life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

No one pays $250k to have their kid fail out of school.  Grade inflation is real.

Grade inflation is most certainly real, especially st Harvard, Yale, Princeton.  

Otherwise, how could Bush, Brooke Sheilds, or any of the Kennedys possibly hold a degree?

• Haha (+1) 1

Lol at old people puffing their chest and talking about their Ivy “back in my day” experiences like it is relevant today. 

The admissions process today for top 20 schools, let alone the Ivies, is brutal and I can assure you - you did not get accepted through the same process as kids are today. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Lol at old people puffing their chest and talking about their Ivy “back in my day” experiences like it is relevant today. 

The admissions process today for top 20 schools, let alone the Ivies, is brutal and I can assure you - you did not get accepted through the same process as kids are today. 

I've been told somewhat different.  There is more competition for the top students coming out of high school today versus a generation ago.  Depending on the curriculum state as in Penn or Ohio is very acceptable to some of today's students.  Some Ivy programs only have a small handful of people competing for the last couple of open chairs.  Contrast this with a generation or two ago when far more students felt they had to obtain an Ivy League degree.  Perhaps a couple dozen students competing for the last few open chairs.  I'll admit when I went through it many many years ago there was a lull for my curriculum so I only was in competition with a couple other students for the spot I ultimately got.  How do I know?  I was told by my advisor who was not bashful and believed in military type motivation.  

12 hours ago, The Senator said:

When I was there, Hotel School had the highest drop out rates and the most flunked class at the university....Wines.  People would take it thinking it was going to be fun and easy to learn about wine and drink samples.  They were in for a big surprise when they didn't have the palate to distinguish types and notes.

Edited by Mark80