Is an Ivy League education much better than public universities/colleges?

Another Fan

49 minutes ago, row_33 said:

but most already have these connections from their birth

dont hate yourself because you missed out on the fantasy of maybe meeting important people to make your life enjoyable  :D

My graduating class was 96 and I think at least 8 ended up in the Ivy League. Of those 8, some were bookworms and some a little more well-rounded. The connections are great for those that are a little more introverted. It gives them a natural door opener that would be more difficult with a lack of social skills.

Those that were more well-rounded had even higher ceilings. Their Ivy League education has even outsiders swooning over them in addition to their alumni connections. One of my good friends in high school is now the president of LeBron James production company Springhill Entertainment. Maverick Carter, Rich Paul and even LeBron wouldn’t take no for an answer. They basically recruited him through a mutual connection. They didn’t know him at the time but thought that he’d fit the brand and bring an Ivy League education. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

47 minutes ago, row_33 said:

but most already have these connections from their birth

dont hate yourself because you missed out on the fantasy of maybe meeting important people to make your life enjoyable  :D

The Ivy connections are much broader if you have very high aspirations.  The hometown connections in most situations are quite limited.  A couple of companies, the local law firm, not having to start at the bottom of the ladder at the regional bank.  Most times those will not get you to Manhattan or SF or wherever a person may choose to live not by default.  

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thats freaking amazing..how much did you bring the average GPA in high school down? Full point? more?

Ha ha, probably a little

Honestly, it may have been even more than 8. We had over 10 people get a perfect score on either section of the SAT. 3 people got perfect scores. There were probably another dozen or so that went to the Williams, Amherst, and Trinity type of schools (which are probably an even better education). It was a pretty sharp group (present company excluded).

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Ivy connections are much broader if you have very high aspirations.  The hometown connections in most situations are quite limited.  A couple of companies, the local law firm, not having to start at the bottom of the ladder at the regional bank.  Most times those will not get you to Manhattan or SF or wherever a person may choose to live not by default.  

don’t hate yourself or burden your children’s entire life for failure to get into a top school

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

don’t hate yourself or burden your children’s entire life for failure to get into a top school

Somewhere along the lines I found it success if I didn’t have a job that made me wanna go home and drink battery acid

All depends on your outlook really 

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Somewhere along the lines I found it success if I didn’t have a job that made me wanna go home and drink battery acid

All depends on your outlook really 

It’s okay to feel that way as a reactive measure once in awhile, but more than 3 months and you should talk to someone

for a few months we had a work group of emeriti (sp??) from the top schools of North America, didn’t envy them in any possible way for a minute

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 1:43 PM, Another Fan said:

I was talking with someone this morning about college.  We were talking about how in New Jersey Rutgers the state university is just a big pain in the ass in many ways.  There’s even a nickname RU screw for it.  

Then she mentioned Ivy League schools are easier than Rutgers.  In the sense that 99% of students graduate there versus 50% at Rutgers.  I mean yes obviously it’s much harder to get into an Ivy League school but with those graduation rates it seems the teachers want the students to succeed.  Large public universities that’s often not the case, professors could care less.  

Education wise are those schools any better though?  Seems like it’s just a name  

A top flight Ivy League diploma is much better than one from a more normal school in one sense only: it will provide greater name recognition, exposure, access, contacts, and employment opportunities.

But if a specific student isn't ambitious or interested in pursuing those opportunities and is destined to live a normal life with a very normal job, it doesn't really matter.

If we are speaking about the raw education you receive, there isn't any difference.  

The burden of education falls to the student, not the teacher or school. 

You can get one hell of a solid education at any normal but respectable college if you apply yourself, and there is no magic content being taught at Harvard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, plenzmd1 said:

You make connections for life at Ivys...worth a ton. 

I don't think the Ivy's are academically more challenging than Stanford, MIT, Duke, etc.  The kids who get in are obviously incredible students.  But the connections at the Ivy's are more valuable than the degree.