FA OT Jake Fisher converting to TE, will work out for Bills

This question isnt meant to be sarcastic, legit question.  

Can someone please tell me why this is intriguing?  Why should anyone be excited by an OL turning TE?  We need a receiving threat at TE who can also block, not just a blocker who isnt a fluid receiver.  So why is this guy intriguing?  Is there any evidence of him being able to run routes, catch, etc?  

There are plenty of "blocking" TE's available, I want a complete TE for Josh, blocker and receiver.  

• Like (+1) 2

Apparently he played the position in HS so it wouldn't be totally new to him.

Of course that was awhile ago and obviously not against the talent level of the pros (NFL) or semi pros (NCAA) but it doesn't cost anything to look at him and see if there's anything there.

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This question isnt meant to be sarcastic, legit question.  

Can someone please tell me why this is intriguing?  Why should anyone be excited by an OL turning TE?  We need a receiving threat at TE who can also block, not just a blocker who isnt a fluid receiver.  So why is this guy intriguing?  Is there any evidence of him being able to run routes, catch, etc?  

There are plenty of "blocking" TE's available, I want a complete TE for Josh, blocker and receiver.  

I am intrigued because i think McDermott could be intrigued IF he could have versatility on the field, he loves those types. Because he’s a FA, I’m just looking at guys the Bills could take a look at. He can catch by the way, he was a 4 star TE recruit. He moved to OL in college. It’s no different than the basketball players who become TEs and the teams bring them in to work out, like Chris Manhertz in NOLA. The Bills  have one TE under contract right now. They need to bring Multiple TEs by the time camp starts and they wont/can’t  all be premium FAs and high draft picks.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Copy, thanks for the details.  Didn’t know he was a TE recruit, so that shows potential then to a switch.  I’m all for bringing guys in, was just looking for more info on why this guy was intriguing and you provided that.  So thanks again

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

While I agree counting on converting a WR to TE and then hoping he'll become your #1 TE is not good. But having a guy like Croom as your #2 or #3 TE is a nice thing to have as it can create match up issues.

It's would be nice to have a Kittle's type TE on the roster but Croom only fits into that category based on athletic ability alone. When I watch Croom out there I see someone who looks lost out there and has no idea what the defense is doing. Even Jason Witten who has lost just about all athletic ability will get open on a regular basis for his QB. Jesse James has average athletic ability but he gets open and is solid at every aspect of being a TE. Antonio Gates who is a shell of his former self still is solid in all aspects of the position to be  able to help his team. My break down of Croom is that he has poor awareness, is a horrid blocker, below average route runner, ball security issues, and his hands are below average. He is athletic but he isn't good enough as a offensive threat to offset all of the negatives. 

On 3/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, Logic said:

This team never really recovered from the loss of Lee Smith.

I'd offer him $10million per.

hope it's enough !
 actually  i love in line blocking TEs.

there.  i admitted it...

8 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Says someone that is emotionally Unstable.

That said, do we know if he can catch. I would rather have a blocking TE that can also catch then a  blocking TE that can also unsuccessfully hold the line.

I'm sure he can catch. That's not what makes this funny to me.

How many times will we see a player transition to another position as if it will instantly make them a better football player? 

Take Logan Thomas: QB transitioned to TE, what, two years into his career. How is that going? As other posters have mentioned, these experiments (I.e Manhertz) almost always fair. To think a player at 25 years old can drop the position from which they were DRAFTED IN THE SECOND ROUND to be a NFL caliber player at a different position is insane. He will likely be a 6th tackle, just with an elidgable number.

This isn't exactly switching from corner to safety. 

42 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I'm sure he can catch. That's not what makes this funny to me.

How many times will we see a player transition to another position as if it will instantly make them a better football player? 

Take Logan Thomas: QB transitioned to TE, what, two years into his career. How is that going? As other posters have mentioned, these experiments (I.e Manhertz) almost always fair. To think a player at 25 years old can drop the position from which they were DRAFTED IN THE SECOND ROUND to be a NFL caliber player at a different position is insane. He will likely be a 6th tackle, just with an elidgable number.

This isn't exactly switching from corner to safety. 

The first sentence was meant for you....it was a joke. Take it easy. The remainder I was in agreement with you.

i'd take a whirl.

if he can be a decent TE, he would allow for some serious match up trickery with passes out of jumbo, and running out of 1 RB, 1TE 3WR sets.

the faketriots always do this and just dominate fools.  i'm sick of our offense being predictable and needing spectacular plays to get yards.

4 hours ago, colin said:

i'd take a whirl.

if he can be a decent TE, he would allow for some serious match up trickery with passes out of jumbo, and running out of 1 RB, 1TE 3WR sets.

the faketriots always do this and just dominate fools.  i'm sick of our offense being predictable and needing spectacular plays to get yards.

Dion Dawkins TD vs Jets comes to mind 

On 3/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, YoloinOhio said:

McD loves him some position versatility. Thought this was interesting to keep an eye on. 

Another one is George Fant in Seattle who can play OT and TE

thought he was still with the chiefs.

Is he athletic enough to play TE?

Blocking TEs arent exactly all the rage anymore.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

thought he was still with the chiefs.

Is he athletic enough to play TE?

Blocking TEs arent exactly all the rage anymore.

He was a TE before he was an OL in college. Never with the Chiefs though. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...