FA OT Jake Fisher converting to TE, will work out for Bills

7 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

So true.

We brought Peters in as a tight end and converted him to a tackle.  And he became a Pro Bowler.  So there you go.

Worth remembering that we weren't the only team that wanted him. There were five teams trying to sign him as a UDFA, and not one thought he was going to make it as TE. Peters wanted his hands on the ball, while teams thought correctly that he'd be better at OL.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why waste one of the 90 spots on a guy who may not even be a TE?  Why not use to for a guy who is actually playing the position he has played?

Look at their TE corps.  This is a meaningful effort at improving that crew?  No, it's not of course.  So why waste the time and effort in a meaningless exercise?

Hey, why not bring in Logan Thomas to workout as a TE?1  Oh, wait...

There's not really such a thing as wasting one of the 90 spots. The last 30 are pure training camp fodder. If there's a shot at it working out, there's no real drawback.

And yes, it absolutely is a meaningful effort at improving that crew. Not a guaranteed effort, but absolutely something that might work out. Or might not. But if they think he's got a shot it would absolutely be meaningful.

And as for Logan Thomas ... if one guy taking a shot at switching positions fails, does that mean they all will?

9 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

They put six on the line even at midfield. With a real O line man (context ) becoming a real threat to option to is awesome in Dabolls book (guessing)

the questions are

Can he chip block well ?       He sure could learn.
Pick up a blitz?           Probably better than many TEs and defend it better

Read the defense pre snap? possibly.

actually catch ?  hmm

Yeah, he can catch. Here's a quick report on his HS career.

"BEFORE OREGON — Standout tight end and defensive lineman for Traverse City West High School, garnered four stars from Scout.com … Rated as the No. 25 offensive tackle prospect nationally by Scout.com and fifth-best overall player in Michigan by Rivals.com … Helped Titans tie for Big North title in 2010, making 68 tackles on defense and grabbing 11 receptions for 232 yards Selected first-team all-state and all-Big North as a defensive lineman following his senior season … Named second-team All-Big North as a junior tight end."

https://goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3976

That's pretty terrific YPC yardage. But will he do a lot of receiving? Probably not, based on his reception totals.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's not really such a thing as wasting one of the 90 spots. The last 30 are pure training camp fodder. If there's a shot at it working out, there's no real drawback.

And yes, it absolutely is a meaningful effort at improving that crew. Not a guaranteed effort, but absolutely something that might work out. Or might not. But if they think he's got a shot it would absolutely be meaningful.

And as for Logan Thomas ... if one guy taking a shot at switching positions fails, does that mean they all will?

Yeah, he can catch. Here's a quick report on his HS career.

"BEFORE OREGON — Standout tight end and defensive lineman for Traverse City West High School, garnered four stars from Scout.com … Rated as the No. 25 offensive tackle prospect nationally by Scout.com and fifth-best overall player in Michigan by Rivals.com … Helped Titans tie for Big North title in 2010, making 68 tackles on defense and grabbing 11 receptions for 232 yards Selected first-team all-state and all-Big North as a defensive lineman following his senior season … Named second-team All-Big North as a junior tight end."

https://goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3976

That's pretty terrific YPC yardage. But will he do a lot of receiving? Probably not, based on his reception totals.

Thanks !

8 hours ago, Doc said:

The Bills have 2 TE's on the roster right now.  If they sign him, he'd be 3.  At most they'd be drafting one, and then signing another one, or two if they don't sign him.  It's not a huge issue.

6 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Exactly.  I don’t know why folks are scoffing at this.  Why not kick the tires and work this kid out?

Because he's not a TE and the Bills just let 2 TE's walk....one a very cheap one.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because he's not a TE and the Bills just let 2 TE's walk....one a very cheap one.

He is trying to reinvent himself as a TE.  Having him come in for a day to check him out is not a big deal.  They're looking for a blocking type TE, so spending a few hours evaluating the guy isn't a nightmare.

On 3/3/2019 at 2:38 PM, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills  have one TE under contract right now. They need to bring Multiple TEs by the time camp starts and they wont/can’t  all be premium FAs and high draft picks.

We have two. Kroft and Croom.  We need at least two more. I kind of like the Fisher idea if he can pick up a blitz, double team with a T to hold off top edge rushers and also break off to be a 5-6 yd outlet with reliable hands with the the threat of picking up 8-12yds on a regular basis. With the speed we have on the edges, a reliable slot in Beasley and Shady/Gore out of the backfield, Fisher could be the outlet when a play breaks down or when Allen can't find Beasley and doesn't have a clean shot down the field. Keep those chains moving.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

He is trying to reinvent himself as a TE.  Having him come in for a day to check him out is not a big deal.  They're looking for a blocking type TE, so spending a few hours evaluating the guy isn't a nightmare.

They need to be looking for a catching type TE, to "catch up" with the rest of the League.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They need to be looking for a catching type TE, to "catch up" with the rest of the League.

Signing this guy won't change their plans.  If they wanted to add a bonafide TE, they'll still do so even if they sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They have two right now.  The kid from Cincy has a fairly good resume and Croom I thought looked pretty good last year for a young player.  Although it would not surprise me in the slightest if their first pick is the kid from Iowa.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They have two right now.  The kid from Cincy has a fairly good resume and Croom I thought looked pretty good last year for a young player.  Although it would not surprise me in the slightest if their first pick is the kid from Iowa.

The kid from Cincy has had a total of 67 catches in 4 years and is coming off an injury to his foot that required surgery.

Croom is dating the owner's daughter.

That's the TE corps right now. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The kid from Cincy has had a total of 67 catches in 4 years and is coming off an injury to his foot that required surgery.

Croom is dating the owner's daughter.

That's the TE corps right now. 

I could care less who Croom is dating.  I thought he showed promise last year, made some good catches.  And the kid from Cincy was mired behind Eifert for some of that.  As I said it would not surprise me in the least if they draft one on day 1 or 2.  But I also try not to wallow in misery like some do.

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Let other teams sign all the converted TEs. 

Stop being so dramatic.  If they think he can help, they'll sign him and it won't affect their plans to add a TE in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1