FA OT Jake Fisher converting to TE, will work out for Bills

58 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

OL to TE specifically, I can't recall one. But there are plenty of CBs who transition to S successfully and that change is harder than you'd think. Plenty of college Ts who switch to G in the NFL as well. Lorax is playing OLB/DE and he started his career on the DL, then OL/TE and then lost a bunch of weight and now plays everywhere, so it's not the weirdest thing. 

To add to your post. 

George Wilson WR- S

Troy brown WR/ CB(played both)

Deion sanders WR/CB(played both), baseball

Terelle Pryor QB-WR

Thats just off the top of my head that switched in pros. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/3/2019 at 8:36 AM, Steve O said:

I thought so to but this guy was drafted in the second by Cinci. Jake Long was #1 overall in 2008, Eric Fisher out of Central Michigan was the #1 overall pick in 2013. Jake Fisher combines both their names which may have caused our confusion. 

Like Jake Skywalker? ?

Edited by JaCrispy

This would, historically, be a new but typical way for the Bills to abuse the wasteland that has been TE on their roster.

Is it really this difficult to find an actual TE who is better than barely mediocre??

If the Bills are still planning not to make the TE position an offensive threat (again), then just stick with the crew they already have under contract and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The question is, does he have enough athletism to be anything more than a blocking te?  His combine numbers were not super freaky for a OT let alone a TE.

I don’t know but he was a 4 star recruit at TE coming out of HS

32 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

To add to your post. 

George Wilson WR- S

Troy brown WR/ CB(played both)

Deion sanders WR/CB(played both), baseball

Terelle Pryor QB-WR

Thats just off the top of my head that switched in pros. 

Don't forget Jason Peters TE to Tackle 

• Like (+1) 1

He is a guy who could be a great blocking TE if he has agility and hands to be a little threat as a receiver.  I understand he converted fro TE to OT in college, so dropping weigh and going back could be pretty natural.  

I think the Bills still want a run heavy offense and he could be a good addition to that.  

I saw saw maybe some upside in Croom last year as a receiver, but I don’t think that Croom, Kraft and Fisher would prevent them from taking a TE high if there was one available that they really like.

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He is a guy who could be a great blocking TE if he has agility and hands to be a little threat as a receiver.  I understand he converted fro TE to OT in college, so dropping weigh and going back could be pretty natural.  

I think the Bills still want a run heavy offense and he could be a good addition to that.  

I saw saw maybe some upside in Croom last year as a receiver, but I don’t think that Croom, Kraft and Fisher would prevent them from taking a TE high if there was one available that they really like.

Yep I agree. There are only two guys on the roster right now, so adding a project like Fisher, while having another project in Croom,  in no way would keep them from drafting another guy. I do think, in theory, you could move on from DiMarco if Fisher can be an Hback, blocking tight end and fullback, which he did a bit for the Bengals. 

The Ravens rolled with 4 tight ends last year, all with different skill sets, and I think Beane is looking for guys who complement one another. Now I feel they added Fisher and say Maxx Williams, they probably aren't drafting a guy high.

Edited by MrEpsYtown

On 3/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would rather  have a OT who converted to TE than a WR. At least you know the converted OT can do one thing very good. Converted WR's that try to be TE's look like KB and Croom. I would rather go with the OT converting to TE or my favorite the Antonio Gates way, I'm surprised more power forwards aren't scouted more to try out as a TE.

It's too bad NBA players make so much more money.  Could you imagine Zion Williamson playing TE in the NFL? Size, Speed, Strength, Hops, Hands. He be absolutely unstoppable!

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This would, historically, be a new but typical way for the Bills to abuse the wasteland that has been TE on their roster.

Is it really this difficult to find an actual TE who is better than barely mediocre??

If the Bills are still planning not to make the TE position an offensive threat (again), then just stick with the crew they already have under contract and call it a day.

I think it's interesting that the one guy they brought in for a visit was Nauta from Georgia. He's an interesting prospect I suppose. Not real tall but a high end blocker. Not real elusive, but solid straight line speed and great hands. 

With all the talk about Hock, we have no idea which tight ends Beane is actually looking at. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s worked out for a couple other teams too - I think the Bills are just turning over all rocks at this position of need, as they needed bodies as well as talent. Even if they do sign him, I don’t think it will change their plans at TE in the draft one bit. 

i don't even think that is how they play the game. They will draft as close to BPA as possible even when trading around.
Best Value coincides with best player for them. FA is not the solve generally. it is for time to develop draft picks and potential gems.
That i why is was so pleased with Morse.

Biggest need and great fit.

and now back to Bills regularly scheduled programming  ( method )
 they should pick him  up because he is athletic and smart. McBeanes style

On 3/2/2019 at 11:31 AM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would rather  have a OT who converted to TE than a WR. At least you know the converted OT can do one thing very good. Converted WR's that try to be TE's look like KB and Croom. I would rather go with the OT converting to TE or my favorite the Antonio Gates way, I'm surprised more power forwards aren't scouted more to try out as a TE.

Tony Gonzales baby.

(Although Gates had better basketball stats)