FA OT Jake Fisher converting to TE, will work out for Bills

Good article on him and him going to TE:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/2/18247494/bengals-ot-jake-fisher-oregon-ducks-tight-end-nfl-free-agency

Coming into the NFL, Fisher’s athleticism was what made him special. At 306 pounds, he was about as all-round of an athlete you could find at the position. By dropping about 20 pounds, Fisher can maximize the athleticism he still has at just 25 (soon to be 26) years old.

It should be noted that Fisher originally transitioned from tight end to offensive tackle when he got to college at Oregon. His experience blocking from an inline alignment should aid in his transition, but it’s a bold career move nonetheless.

He also is being looked at by Washington.

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Totally goes with what appears to be the theme of Beane/McD signings......

Athletic versa guys......was a high draft pick as an offensive linemen.....can also play TE.

Oh I thought the theme was to help other teams get comp picks.. Thanks.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I'm sure he can catch. That's not what makes this funny to me.

How many times will we see a player transition to another position as if it will instantly make them a better football player? 

Take Logan Thomas: QB transitioned to TE, what, two years into his career. How is that going? As other posters have mentioned, these experiments (I.e Manhertz) almost always fair. To think a player at 25 years old can drop the position from which they were DRAFTED IN THE SECOND ROUND to be a NFL caliber player at a different position is insane. He will likely be a 6th tackle, just with an elidgable number.

This isn't exactly switching from corner to safety. 

OL to TE specifically, I can't recall one. But there are plenty of CBs who transition to S successfully and that change is harder than you'd think. Plenty of college Ts who switch to G in the NFL as well. Lorax is playing OLB/DE and he started his career on the DL, then OL/TE and then lost a bunch of weight and now plays everywhere, so it's not the weirdest thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to FA OT Jake Fisher converting to TE, will work out for Bills

His college highlights make me think of Jonah Williams. Fisher looked lights out here in those videos. Great feet and all, but there just wasn't enough power in his game and he sucked in the NFL. That's why drafting a linemen high in the draft who isn't pretty much a guarantee is a poor move. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, YoloinOhio said:

McD loves him some position versatility. Thought this was interesting to keep an eye on. 

Another one is George Fant in Seattle who can play OT and TE

...speaking of "re-inventing", anybody catch Joe Thomas' post retirement re-make on NFLN?.....guess it is doable...pretty impressive..........

I'm intrigued by him, but also want the Bills to pick up a TE in the 2nd round, and also see mild upside in Croom... so all of these guys would give us 4 TEs, which I think might be 1 too many in today's NFL. But if it were a smaller deal, maybe 2 years, $5-7M, it might be worth the experiment. Mightbe a little more valuable in total vs Croom's receiving-only upside.

He’s worked out for a couple other teams too - I think the Bills are just turning over all rocks at this position of need, as they needed bodies as well as talent. Even if they do sign him, I don’t think it will change their plans at TE in the draft one bit.