Report: It is universally believed among NFL execs that Kyler Murray will be drafted #1 by Arizona

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

This is just insanity.  Back in the day, teams recognized that Qbs needed a few years to grow into the position, to mature in their ability to read defenses, etc.  Not only did players need this, but coaches as well.  And now you see this:  you have  a team that gives up on a HC and a QB after one year, only to go after a new HC that has minimal (any??) NFL coaching experience, who is being give the keys to the kingdom, and who apparently thinks the answer at QB is a kid that is undersized and a big question mark as to how he'll fit in the league.  Meanwhile you have a guy in Rosen that this time last year was the one who was most pro ready by many accounts, played on a team that had little to offer to help him, and somehow he gets thrown to the trash heap.

No wonder the Cards struggle.  No wonder the teams that seem to do the best year in and year out are the ones with stability in the front office and coaching staffs. 

In the previous five seasons before this last one, the Cardinals went 49-30-1. They did pretty well (or at least decently) of late until this past season. 

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

This is just insanity.  Back in the day, teams recognized that Qbs needed a few years to grow into the position, to mature in their ability to read defenses, etc.  Not only did players need this, but coaches as well.  And now you see this:  you have  a team that gives up on a HC and a QB after one year, only to go after a new HC that has minimal (any??) NFL coaching experience, who is being give the keys to the kingdom, and who apparently thinks the answer at QB is a kid that is undersized and a big question mark as to how he'll fit in the league.  Meanwhile you have a guy in Rosen that this time last year was the one who was most pro ready by many accounts, played on a team that had little to offer to help him, and somehow he gets thrown to the trash heap.

No wonder the Cards struggle.  No wonder the teams that seem to do the best year in and year out are the ones with stability in the front office and coaching staffs. 

The specifics of this case are definitely head scratching (if indeed they go this way), the actual decision to make any moves necessary to get "your guy" at QB is the right one. Too many Tannehills and Daltons in the world that teams deal with cause good enough is good enough for them without ever taking the next step. Hard to see if this is one of those cases, but I applaud their boldness if they go this way. 

Frankly it would’ve been nice if the Bills could’ve admitted their mistakes more quickly in the last 20 years.  But it probably would’ve been easier to move on from the Losmans and the Manuels if we had the #1 overall pick and somebody who was as dynamic as Murray in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

Prices are slashed for Josh Rosen jerseys

2180347.png

https://news.yahoo.com/prices-slashed-josh-rosen-jerseys-182109105.html

According to Bo Brack of FOX Sports 910 in Phoenix, at least one store in the area has dropped the price of Rosen jerseys from $100 to $39.99.

Josh Rosen trade rumors heat up

Fansided: 5 optimistic Josh Rosen trade packages

Avery Duncan has the Giants, Redskins, Patriots, Dolphins and Chargers on his list.

Of the Giants, he writes: "The Giants still don’t have a plan in place for life after Eli Manning, as Kyle Lauletta‘s mediocre performance in his small sample size didn’t inspire much confidence in New York. But that changes in this trade, as the Giants mortgage their depth picks and immediate impact ones for Rosen, while also throwing in a pass rusher they invested heavily in."

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/05/kyler-murray-no-1-pick-arizona-cardinals-josh-rosen-trade-value-dk-metcalf-body-fat-women-coaches

Murray represents where the NFL is going, and what is trickling up from the college ranks. As Daniel Jeremiah, the NFL Network’s draft analyst, put it, “Who are the great young immobile quarterbacks? There really aren’t any of them.” You can point to Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Philip Rivers, but those players are able to excel in today’s NFL because of their minds and their deep knowledge of what is going to happen on each play after years of experience, allowing them to get out of trouble by getting rid of the ball. “With Kyler Murray, you’ve got two chances to be right: The play that they call has a chance to work and the play that he makes has a chance to work,” Jeremiah says.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/05/kyler-murray-no-1-pick-arizona-cardinals-josh-rosen-trade-value-dk-metcalf-body-fat-women-coaches

Murray represents where the NFL is going, and what is trickling up from the college ranks. As Daniel Jeremiah, the NFL Network’s draft analyst, put it, “Who are the great young immobile quarterbacks? There really aren’t any of them.” You can point to Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Philip Rivers, but those players are able to excel in today’s NFL because of their minds and their deep knowledge of what is going to happen on each play after years of experience, allowing them to get out of trouble by getting rid of the ball. “With Kyler Murray, you’ve got two chances to be right: The play that they call has a chance to work and the play that he makes has a chance to work,” Jeremiah says.

I saw that too - it makes sense - and part of it, also, is the CBA and the lack of practice time you get with young QBs and all of your offensive linemen.  Pass pro is just not what it used to be, and inexperienced immobile pocket passers (like Rosen, actually) are just not worth what they once were.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I saw that too - it makes sense - and part of it, also, is the CBA and the lack of practice time you get with young QBs and all of your offensive linemen.  Pass pro is just not what it used to be, and inexperienced immobile pocket passers (like Rosen, actually) are just not worth what they once were.

Also worth noting: Russell Wilson, Mahomes, and Murray were all excellent baseball players and played premier defensive positions: respectively, 2nd base, SS, and center field.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, oldmanfan said:

It's pretty crazy, but sometimes bold moves are needed to break up a losing culture.  I figured Kingsbury would do what McVay and Nagy did which is put all their faith on the quarterback many doubted after their rookie year.  Obviously, he's more comfortable going all in on Murray if the reports are true. 

If they can cut their losses with Rosen and get a 1st round pick for him then at least Kingsbury can take comfort in the fact that if it doesn't work out he can say at least I did it my way.

• Like (+1) 1

Based on a quick and relatively uninformed assessment I was sceptical of Murray's prospects as a starting calibre NFL QB, not to mention as an actual franchise guy. But if his combine height/weight is legit (and I assume it is) then if he fails it won't be because he's too small (he has the raw talent/physical ability and could potentially perform very well in the right offence). In any pics I had seen he always looked to me more a midget wrestler than a pro football player and I was assuming he fell into an extremely limited sample size of legit NFL QB's who were that small (basically a sample size of 1, being Doug Flute). 

OTOH Jeremiah can say what he wants about brains and experience being Brady's, Rivers, or Brees' saving graces, but the reality is that the mental attributes needed to play the position well, which are rare, are at the end of the day more important than athleticism. And those great players prove it conclusively. I don't know if Casserly is being unfair to Murray, but if he's voicing even a preliminary consensus on intangibles and blackboard smarts that does not bode well for the player. And even if one concedes Murray's top flight athleticism and even putting to one side the issue of football smarts, there are other important parts of the pro QBs skillset (which are a combination of physical and cognitive abilities) that Murray, unlike Mayfield coming out, has yet to prove: can he read a defence pre and post snap, can he find passing lanes, can he lead a receiver with accuracy, can he go through progressions etc...So far, for me, the jury is pretty much still out on Murray.