Report: It is universally believed among NFL execs that Kyler Murray will be drafted #1 by Arizona

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

"For what pick?" is the question.

And if Murray busts?

And if he busts...it will still be a waste of an asset.

Learn to read.  Especially the last line, because that is exactly what I was alluding to "they will waste a lesser asset on him."

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

And if Murray busts?

I mean, can’t that logic be used against any first overall pick?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Murrey might not even be the best in this class.  Id take Mayfield and Allen over him.

What if one of the 9 other teams gets him for a lesser pick.  Then it would appear they will waste a lesser asset on him.

Mayfield and Allen aren't in the draft.

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

And if Murray busts?

The thing about picks is that there's always more.  Some teams go decades without franchise QB's, not 1st rounders.

13 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I think this is bad news, if true.  My reasoning is that if the QB Murray goes at #1, that drops Bosa or Q. Williams to the Jets.  And the Jets at 3 get one of the top two players in the draft.  I have stated, and continue to believe that Bosa and Q. Williams are alone as the elite tier.  Then there is a drop off. 

I would welcome this.  The Jets have used their premium picks on defense for years and it’s gotten them nowhere.  The Jets need offensive weapons, just like the Bills do.  They’ll be looking to trade back.

7 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No chance he’s getting a first.

That was my initial reaction, but I’m not so sure. He went 10 overall last year, and he was hardly a total disaster as a rookie starter on a bad team.  If more than one team likes him, the Cards could get a mid-first for Rosen.

9 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Your take is just bad.  The words won't "haunt him for a decade."

Would you take Murray at #1 GB?  I know you liked Rosen a lot.

I liked Rosen more than I like Murray. Murray would have been my QB4 in the last class. With how he measured I would generally have no qualms taking Murray in the top 10. I wouldn't give up on Rosen after 1 year to do so though. 

1 hour ago, mannc said:

That was my initial reaction, but I’m not so sure. He went 10 overall last year, and he was hardly a total disaster as a rookie starter on a bad team.  If more than one team likes him, the Cards could get a mid-first for Rosen.

I certainly think he could be worth a pick around the bottom third of the first round..

I think people always undervalue what teams will give up for a QB,,,

Tyrod cost 65 for one year and had to be paid $15m... Rosen comes with minimum three years control at a fraction that cost..

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Mayfield and Allen aren't in the draft.

The thing about picks is that there's always more.  Some teams go decades without franchise QB's, not 1st rounders.

I was responding to the person who said if we had the #1 pick they would comsider Murray.

1 hour ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

I remember Howard Simon who was almost crying on the air the morning that they drafted Allen.  Then you had guys like Jeremy White and Mike Schopp who complained for days because they wanted Rosen and Lamar, respectively.  

Pre-draft, there were literally dozens of “contributors “ here who pledged that they were finished with the Bills for good if they drafted Josh Allen.  The already knew with certainty that low college completion rate equals automatic NFL failure.

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

I mean, can’t that logic be used against any first overall pick?

Yes.  And in fact, it's highly debilitating for a team to focus too much on the "bust" probability of a 1st round pick.  Accept that it's high and move forward.

IMO, it paralyzed the Bills and kept them from pulling the trigger to draft a QB for years waiting for Mr "Can't Miss", and finally resulted in them pulling the trigger on Mr "Most likely to Miss" in a poor QB draft.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I liked Rosen more than I like Murray. Murray would have been my QB4 in the last class. With how he measured I would generally have no qualms taking Murray in the top 10. I wouldn't give up on Rosen after 1 year to do so though. 

I wouldn't either, but I think Rosen may be flotsam in the usual churn when a coach and/or FO turn over.  The previous coaches' choices are not the new coach's style.

That said, people are exaggerating Rosen's issues.   I'm not saying he looked good, but he didn't look Blaine Gabbert/Brandon Weedon "this guy just can't play" bad, either.  He was able to stand in, make some reads, and make some good throws.  Given an OL and a team that will try to develop him he might become a guy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.  And in fact, it's highly debilitating for a team to focus too much on the "bust" probability of a 1st round pick.  Accept that it's high and move forward.

IMO, it paralyzed the Bills and kept them from pulling the trigger to draft a QB for years waiting for Mr "Can't Miss", and finally resulted in them pulling the trigger on Mr "Most likely to Miss" in a poor QB draft.

I wouldn't either, but I think Rosen may be flotsam in the usual churn when a coach and/or FO turn over.  The previous coaches' choices are not the new coach's style.

That said, people are exaggerating Rosen's issues.   I'm not saying he looked good, but he didn't look Blaine Gabbert/Brandon Weedon "this guy just can't play" bad, either.  He was able to stand in, make some reads, and make some good throws.  Given an OL and a team that will try to develop him he might become a guy.

I kind of agree but they said publicly that they were looking for a guy to mesh with Josh Rosen. If they did that and hired Kliff on that basis and then are gonna go a totally different route it looks like a mess.