Report: It is universally believed among NFL execs that Kyler Murray will be drafted #1 by Arizona

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Also, they could keep both for 2020 and let them battle it out like Brees/Rivers, Aikman/Walsh, etc and then move the guy who doesn’t ultimately win the long term job.  

When did Brees/Rivers "battle it out"?  There was no Brees/Rivers battle.  San Diego drafted Rivers and he promptly held out through training camp, leaving Brees with the starting job.  Which Brees promptly cinched by winning "comeback player of the year", going to the probowl, and turning in a strong playoff performance in his first truly good season.  San Diego franchised him for next year - you don't franchise a guy you're gonna "battle".  Then Brees got what they thought might be a career ending injury so they let him go when he didn't accept their FA offer.

If there would be anything more stupid than drafting a pocket-passing QB with limited mobility in the 1st round and putting him in to struggle behind a swiss cheese OL and with few quality targets, it would be drafting a dissimilar QB in the 1st round next year and letting them "battle it out" instead of crafting the playbook to one QB's strengths and focusing on that one QB's development.   But I don't exempt the formerly-Phoenix Cardinals from committing that stupidity - here in St Louis we think almost as much of Bidwell as we do of Kroenke, meaning you'd still need a trench to slide a worm under the general opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

I think this is bad news, if true.  My reasoning is that if the QB Murray goes at #1, that drops Bosa or Q. Williams to the Jets.  And the Jets at 3 get one of the top two players in the draft.  I have stated, and continue to believe that Bosa and Q. Williams are alone as the elite tier.  Then there is a drop off. 

3 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I think this is bad news, if true.  My reasoning is that if the QB Murray goes at #1, that drops Bosa or Q. Williams to the Jets.  And the Jets at 3 get one of the top two players in the draft.  I have stated, and continue to believe that Bosa and Q. Williams are alone as the elite tier.  Then there is a drop off. 

Jets have expressed interest in trading down to recoup some of the picks from last year so we’ll see if they pass on Quinnen. Could also go Josh Allen the LB at 3

The last time I remember a similar case if Murray is taken at #1 is when Tampa Bay didn't like what they had at QB with Steve Young so they traded Young & drafted Vinny Testaverde with the #1 pick.  The one in the HOF isn't the guy they drafted.  Worst case scenario: Rosen plays in the Super Bowl as Murray is getting ready for spring training with the Oakland A's after flaming out of the NFL. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

I expected this as soon as the Cards hired Kingsbury. Was fully convinced once Murray was measured.

It will be fascinating to see what happens with Rosen(if true). At the end of the NFL regular season, it didn't appear as though there would be any top 10 QB's. As it stands now, two are virtual locks. Overall, a very good thing for the Bills at 9.

Edited by BillsSB2020
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Draft Josh 2.0 and the Bills will have 2 right Josh's.

Have to trade up to AT LEAST 4 for this to happen. Other right Josh is the best player in this draft IMO, so I'd love for him to fall, but it ain't happening unfortunately.

Edited by BillsSB2020

3 hours ago, nickrage said:

So then what happens to Rosen?

Enter Dave Gettleman.

Could the cards take Murray at one 

then trade Rosen to the giants for the sixth overall pick?

Yup...either Rosen or they could trade up with the Jets to take Haskins....either way I think the Giants get their QB unfortunately...I really wanted them to suffer for taking a RB last year. Lol

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Yup...either Rosen or they could trade up with the Jets to take Haskins....either way I think the Giants get their QB unfortunately...I really wanted them to suffer for taking a RB last year. Lol

This came up last year but the other way around, when Jets were at 6 and trying to trade up for a QB. They wanted to get to 2 but NYG refused to trade with them to allow them to get their QB. The two teams have never traded with each other. 

I see this of true as a good thing as we could have have at least 3 of the 8 slots above going to QB, and many of the others going after pass rushers and DT’s. So if not the best OT, we could get the 2nd, so possibly Juwan from FL, or Jonah Williams.  I just hope one of these four TE’s who have a top grade we can get in the 2nd.  I’d lay $ we bundle on or two of those extra 4’s, 5’s, or 7’s to move up to get a couple of more talented players.  Should be fun.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nickrage said:

So then what happens to Rosen?

Enter Dave Gettleman.

Could the cards take Murray at one 

then trade Rosen to the giants for the sixth overall pick?

Gettleman didn't draft him last year when he could have.  

I wouldn't be so certain he wants him now, even at a discount.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Gettleman didn't draft him last year when he could have.  

I wouldn't be so certain he wants him now, even at a discount.

I agree.

He did not draft for he did not think he was worth the #2 pick or trading up lower picks to get him by #10. 

If he trading for him now he would be getting a year less at the #10 contract rate after a damaged season.

If Rosen was waived I think it would be hard to find a team to claim him and that contract so finding a team to pay with some picks will be tough for Cardinals.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I agree.

He did not draft for he did not think he was worth the #2 pick or trading up lower picks to get him by #10. 

If he trading for him now he would be getting a year less at the #10 contract rate after a damaged season.

If Rosen was waived I think it would be hard to find a team to claim him and that contract so finding a team to pay with some picks will be tough for Cardinals.

If Rosen were waived there would be 31 other teams putting in a claim for him. On a bargain contract for 4 more years. I think he easily fetches a 2nd in a trade. One of Giants, Jaguars, Dolphins, Redskins would be beating down the door at that price. Could also see Saints, Chargers and Patriots strongly interested. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't think the Cards should move Rosen this year if they draft Murray. Let both compete and decide next year which one they want to keep. I know about the "fit Kingsbury's offense" but let the entire situation play itself out. Ryan Leaf should be a constant reminder that there is always a likelihood of a major bust at the QB position.  Cards may gain a second or third rounder for Rosen which will be nothing if Murray doesn't pan out. Keep both QBs, Cards. I am not commenting on Rosen's abilities but think if he turns out to be Favre part deux

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1