Salary Cap

Searched for this and didn’t find it. 

https://abcn.ws/2IMbpTT

Quote:  “This is the third year out of four in which clubs must reach 89 percent in cash spending, and the NFL Players Association said Friday that four teams are under that threshold: Dallas, Buffalo, Indianapolis and Houston.”

Where, ever, will OBD spend the money??

11 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Quote:  “This is the third year out of four in which clubs must reach 89 percent in cash spending, and the NFL Players Association said Friday that four teams are under that threshold: Dallas, Buffalo, Indianapolis and Houston.”

I e been saying this fir a while with those who dont want to spend any of it and role it into next season.  Expect some big money thrown at the OL and an extention for Hughes.

Crown- agreed and I have heard you post this point.  Beane can do the whole GM talk he wants and is shrewd to keep an insurance fund, have what we need for the draft and by SPOTRAC is ,9.3 mil b/c of 10 vs. 7 picks, but is only a guesstimate as they could always bundle picks to move up or down, and hold some money to extend people next year, and keep doing that b/c eventually we’ll have to pay Allen QB $ if he becomes our franchise guy.

That still leaves at least $45-50 mil to spend and can get reinforcements where need it on the line and WR Corp.  I just don’t believe it we won’t go after any of the top URFA interior lineman.  If I’m wrong, I’m wrong, but as much as the Pegulas were patient this past year, they are going to want to see progress, so we have to invest in some offensive talent and each of us our favorite we hope for and that’s ok.

We all want the same thing, the start of consistent double digit winning seasons and balance on offense and defense, and balance in the run vs the pass.

This is an excellent thread.

The Bills almost have to be big players in free agency this year. You don't get a prize for stashing cap space. As a matter of fact, if they aren't big players in FA'cy this year, they'll run the risk of forfeiting cash to the league if I understand it correctly.

But it basically doesn't matter.  Teams have to spend 89% (cash) of the salary cap over a 4-year rolling period.  And if they don't, they just have to give the un-spent money to the NFLPA.  There's no real penalty.

12 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

This is an excellent thread.

The Bills almost have to be big players in free agency this year. You don't get a prize for stashing cap space. As a matter of fact, if they aren't big players in FA'cy this year, they'll run the risk of forfeiting cash to the league if I understand it correctly.

But it basically doesn't matter.  Teams have to spend 89% (cash) of the salary cap over a 4-year rolling period.  And if they don't, they just have to give the un-spent money to the NFLPA.  There's no real penalty.

1 minute ago, ******* said:

That's a penalty in and of itself as far as I'm concerned.

Why in the world would it be beneficial to the Bills to just hand cash over to the NFLPA as opposed to bringing in talent? Sign them to short term deals. Just don't waste cap space.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

The fist step was to unload dead money on players that didn’t live up to their value    

They have $90 mil to spend and I’m confident they will spend $80 of it leaving $10 in reserve for emergencies 

Front end load some deals.  Get the talent as early money is more attractive and keep yourself set up nicely for the future.  This is a win-win IMO.  Also could re-sign some guys early, again with front loaded deals. 

Edited by Mark80

1 hour ago, TroutDog said:

So why aren’t the Jets / Browns under the threshold? They have more cap space. Were they capped out earlier?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

35 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The fist step was to unload dead money on players that didn’t live up to their value    

They have $90 mil to spend and I’m confident they will spend $80 of it leaving $10 in reserve for emergencies 

Shady, respectfully I disagree as they need about 9.3 mil again for the draft, but if you’re including that portion, I understood.  Second almost every team wants to hold back after the draft of a minimum of $7 mil, but often more so they can sign cheap undrafted free agents, and have their insurance policy.  

They are are going to want to hold back probably $20 mil so the can extend some people next year.  That leaves around $50 mil for FA. That’s my only point.  It’s still a lot of money to get some marquee players.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I fully expect 1-2 pretty huge short contracts. 

One of the reasons I couldn’t understand why everyone was so mad over star and Murphy. Money has to go somewhere 

The point is to get better football players, not just spend money because you have to. Maybe people felt there were better players available for the money they spent on those guys.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

So why aren’t the Jets / Browns under the threshold? They have more cap space. Were they capped out earlier?

If I understand it correctly, the rolling 4 year avg is based on actual cash spent and not cap. We have been closer to the cap than those teams because of the dead money being accelerated to the cap. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The point is to get better football players, not just spend money because you have to. Maybe people felt there were better players available for the money they spent on those guys.

Better players for who? Us or the buffalo bills?

It was pretty obvious they paid for guys they were familiar with (mostly the Carolina boys), and guys who had high risk high reward potential (Murphy).

Its been about team building and locker room not best talent available. That was the rebuild plan. 

Since day one McDermott has been putting a group of guys in the locker room who set a certain standard on the practice field and film room etc etc. I for one did not like some of those guys.. Obviously we could of had a way better running back than washed up mike Tolbert, but he brought something behind the scenes and had a purpose establishing whatever McDermott is preaching to these guys. 

Now that the core group is put together they can hopefully assemble more talent and I would expect would get more bang for their buck. Just my opinion but last offseason most of us armchair gm’s were thinking of building a winning team for that season. These guys seemed to just field the youngest and/or cheapest team available in a lot of positions we wanted better talent. The plan was never to have a good team last season. Just coach up the younger players and hopefully find some hidden gems. 

Once again just my opinion but Star was signed to a fat contract for more than on field production. I would also be willing to bet if they thought Shaq would play that well they would not have signed Murphy. Now this offseason if they’re signing cornerbacks and safeties for top dollars we may have a real issue in that front office lol. 

3 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I e been saying this fir a while with those who dont want to spend any of it and role it into next season.  Expect some big money thrown at the OL and an extention for Hughes.

You don't have to throw big money around.

You front load contracts, which means you have plenty of cap space next year too.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Picture a guy like dareus. Handed him big bucks before the window. Traded. Created big dead money that impeded spending.

9 hours ago, TroutDog said:

In 2017 they ended the season around $10 mill under the cap. $11.198 precisely. Same with last year. $9.186 mill.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2017/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

Why are they under the threshold? Because they're about $75 mill under this year. Spend about $40 to $50 mill this year and they're easily back under. 

This simply isn't a problem.

And in case people don't quite get that quote ... everyone has to spend 89% ... when everything is added up after the end of the fourth year. It's NOT that we have to spend 89% every year. 

Not going to be a problem, especially as next year, 2020, is when you can start to re-negotiate and lengthen contracts that finish up in 2021, guys like Zay, Poyer, Dawkins, Milano, McKenzie, Duke Williams, Tre ...

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

"Spending requirements

"There is a minimum amount of money that a team can put towards their caps. All 32 teams are required to spend at least 89 percent of their caps (which this year is $157.7 M). This is called the minimum cash spend requirement, also known as the 89 percent rule.

"Teams don’t have to spend their 89 percent every year, however. This requirement must be the average amount spent over the four year spending period. The current spending period started in 2017 and will continue through 2020. 

"In other words, the Bengals could have to spend 88 percent of their cap last year and this year, but would have to spend at least 90 percent over the next two years."

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/6/17600618/nfl-salary-cap-2018-everything-to-know-about-salaries

Also important to know that if a guy gets a 4 year contract this year from Buffalo with a $10 mill signing bonus this year and a $5 mill 2019 salary, his 2019 salary cap hit will be $7.5 mill ((1/4 his bonus) plus his salary). But the Bills cash spend will be $15 mill this year on him.

Meaning it isn't tough to spend a bunch of cash in any given year. You can actually spend more than 100% of the salary cap in cash, and plenty of teams do that. For instance, last year the Bears led the league in cash spending, putting out $233 mill. To remind you, the salary cap was $177.2 mill.

https://overthecap.com/cash-spending/

Posts in this thread have referred to front-loading contracts, and in terms of cash spending, most contracts are front-loaded. And the posters are right that doing so would ameliorate the problem.

More, the figures are not bad at all.

2017 salary cap: $167 mill

Bills 2017 active cash spending: $138.576 mill

Bills 2017 total cash spending: $149.948 mill

2018 salary cap: $177.2 mill

Bills 2018 active cash spending: $129.057 mill

Bills 2018 total cash spending: $156,903 mill

2019 salary cap: projected at $187 - $191.1 mill

Bills 2019 active cash spending (so far): $88.8 mill

Bills total cash spending (so far): $88.8 mill

https://overthecap.com/cash-spending/

Total cash spending is the important number. And as you can see, the problem is this year. And we're going to be spending a bunch more yet this year. How much? Hard to know, but say that it's $50 mill in cap, including $30 mill in 2019 salaries and $40 mill in bonuses. And yeah, that doesn't add up, for the reasons explained above. But if that ended up being it, it would cost $50 mill against the cap and $70 mill in cash. Problem pretty much gone.

This isn't going to put any real pressure on them at all.

Think "judicious."

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2