How can you possibly have a SECOND team that you root for?

Bakin

The Sabres and the Suicidal Saucies, other than that I can root for the game for anyone playing against the *cheatriots, dolphins or jests are playing!

I answered this without reading all the previous posts first which I think I may do more often or not hmmm!

I enjoy football and go to most/all saints home games any given season because of the fun of the event. Clearly it’s more fun when they win and there are players I enjoy. I still rocked Zubaz when the bills came to town. 

Does that bother you?

I like Drew Brees so I root for the Saints when they’re not playing the Bills.  I like Aaron Rodgers, liked to watch Favre and started rooting for the Packers when Buffalo area native Don Majikowski when he was QB, except when they played the Bills.

I moved to the Bay Area, so I rooted for the Raiders.

Following the Bills since 1970, and with their limited number of playoff appearances, I had to root for someone in the playoffs.

Bills fan first and foremost. But the past 20 years of playoff drought had me "taking interest" in the Steelers come playoff time, I always admired their defenses but that has been futile as of late. That said my place is full of Bills gear and not 1 item of Steelers.

Here's how my rooting interests are decided.  If the Bills aren't playing, I first assess whether any particular result is more favorable to Buffalo's positioning.  If so, that's what I'm rooting for.  If not, then it's really just a matter of which team I dislike less and I'm probably rooting for some fantasy (or gambling) aspect.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

Being older than the Bills, I was an NFL fan 1st. Of course there was instant allegiance to the minor league Bills when the AFL began, but Lombardi’s Packers were incredibly good and watching Johnny U play QB for Baltimore is what made me want to play. The Bills became Very good and ruled the AFL and the hearts of WNY. I was an instant fan of Namath, though always cheered for Buffalo when the 2 played. Favorite memory of that era was beating the Jets 37-35 in ‘68, picking Namath off 5X, w/ 3 Pick 6’s. Our Only win of the season - that helped land OJ. But I LOVED when they beat the Colts in the 1st ever Super Bowl. As the Bills declined (and Lamonica gave way to the Snake) Maddens’ Raiders were must watch tv. Yet my favorite memory of that era was beating them Opening week on MNF at Home, ‘74. 

Like Machine Gun Kelly, I’ve been a Floridian (by Choice!) for nearly 3 decades, but I hope my ‘home team’ Jags relocate across the pond. I’ve had DIRECTV since ‘96, singularly to watch my Bills EVERY Sunday. Now, I stream the games. But with SOOOOO many seasons of losing football, stingy ownership ever threatening to move the team, and a swirling cesspool of terrible coaches and draft picks, it’s not a character assignation to find solace in other teams good fortune, as the OP implies. Simply put, it’s an abusive marriage that lasts a lifetime.

Doesn’t mean I don’t ‘look!’..

• Like (+1) 2

Having kids changed my perspective on sports. 

A) it made me care a whole lot less, because Sunday afternoon is 1/4 of a weekend, so those are prime hours to spend doing things with them.

B) everyone out there is someone's kid, so i know how proud their parents must be of them, so i don't want to see anyone get hurt and i want a good, clean game and dont begrudge anyone their success, even if it comes at the expense of buffalo.

C) living in new england, being witness to the greatest sports dynasty in history, and surrounded by passionate fans who wear their jerseys all year long like buffalo in the 90s, trying to prevent a young boy from going in that direction--to instead cheer for a historically inept franchise that had a half decade of success a quarter century ago--is an exercise in futility. although he wears bills gear and cheers for them, hes still too young to really grasp the concept of it all, i would never, in a million years, teach him to "hate" the patriots. if he picks that up from me, by osmosis, so be it. 

D) i go to a lot of minor league sports events with him, and i clap for a good play regardless. im not going to boo some 20 year old minor leaguer who dekes a defenseman on his ass, or throws down a rididculous windmill, or pitches a complete game no hitter, just because he was drafted by a team that has a minor league affiliate in a different city than the city i just traveled to which is close to my house, to watch them play a minor league game.

E) you begin to realize that the people who are so passionate as to feel hate in sporting situations are, by and large, losers who argue on the internet too. and while thats fun from age 12 to about 25 or so, and i recognize my son will do it too, at some point you have to grow up and stop doing that. and as a father, its best to set an example and laugh at people that do it, so my son knows theyre losers and nothing to aspire to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

A) it made me care a whole lot less, because Sunday afternoon is 1/4 of a weekend, so those are prime hours to spend doing things with them.

B) everyone out there is someone's kid, so i know how proud their parents must be of them, so i don't want to see anyone get hurt and i want a good, clean game and dont begrudge anyone their success, even if it comes at the expense of buffalo.

C) living in new england, being witness to the greatest sports dynasty in history, and surrounded by passionate fans who wear their jerseys all year long like buffalo in the 90s, trying to prevent a young boy from going in that direction--to instead cheer for a historically inept franchise that had a half decade of success a quarter century ago--is an exercise in futility. although he wears bills gear and cheers for them, hes still too young to really grasp the concept of it all, i would never, in a million years, teach him to "hate" the patriots. if he picks that up from me, by osmosis, so be it. 

D) i go to a lot of minor league sports events with him, and i clap for a good play regardless. im not going to boo some 20 year old minor leaguer who dekes a defenseman on his ass, or throws down a rididculous windmill, or pitches a complete game no hitter, just because he was drafted by a team that has a minor league affiliate in a different city than the city i just traveled to which is close to my house, to watch them play a minor league game.

E) you begin to realize that the people who are so passionate as to feel hate in sporting situations are, by and large, losers who argue on the internet too. and while thats fun from age 12 to about 25 or so, and i recognize my son will do it too, at some point you have to grow up and stop doing that. and as a father, its best to set an example and laugh at people that do it, so my son knows theyre losers and nothing to aspire to.

The Bills are my team, grew up during the 1960's in a family of original season ticket holders and witnessed some really great AFL games. After the Bills I root for any original AFL team except the Titans or Texans (remember the Oiler's); in 1969 the fans in War Memorial Stadium gave a long standing ovation to the world champion New York Jets in the home opener. I can hold root for the Dolphins when it helps the Bills (still remember the streak) and I don't suffer from the intense hate of the Patriots that many seem to be afflicted with.

Great post by Johnny Gold!!! It's only a game, life is too short, enjoy!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bakin said:

Pardon the bad grammar....and I know I probably asked this question before...

but how in the holy hell can a person root for the Bills (bleeding red white and blue, as one poster suggested) and still have a ‘backup’ or secondary team??

i really don’t get it. 

Can someone explain?

For me I bleed Bills red, white and blue and then I also bleed whatever colors the Patriots opponents are each week. So not necessarily one secondary team but a bunch each week

I have lived in NJ for 30+ years. I have had Giants seats for 25+ years because I love football.  I have taken my kids to Giants games their entire life.  Almost all of my friends are Giants fans.  My house is split.  My wife, son and daughter are Giants first, my other daughter and I are Bill all the way.  With that said, while I enjoy watching the Giants and hope they win, there is nowhere near the same passion as the Bills.  I don't read Giants blogs or really follow their players.  

Being a fan of two teams has allowed my family and I to enjoy the passion of football, tailgate every Sunday and have wonderful memories with great friends.      

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JohnnyGold said:

That's gold Johnny, GOLD!!

I'm an out of towner too. My kids gravitated to the Bills because of me, if they'd gone another direction I would have let it happen.

We just had John Tavares make his return to Long Island the other night and there was a lot of vitriol thrown his way. Some of it was humorous but overall it was a classless display by the local fans. The guy played 9 years for us, was a great player and an upstanding citizen who had the opportunity to play the second half of his career for the team he grew up with. Sucks that he left, but he's the type of player any sports fan should appreciate. That was the message to my boys. 

Im a Mets fan yet if @Degenerate Mike in HHDS Baltimore team made it to the WS I would root for them. Also Im an Islanders fan but when the Sabres hit that 10 game winning streak I was wishing for 11. Its called being a fan of the sport. Heck, I was even happy to see the Pats get good so fast...  my joy didnt last long but to live the era we are in 20 years from now people will only remember it and some wont. It is being a fan of the sport. Im afraid it is people like @Bakin with this attitude with a bit of fire water fight in the mens room at half time. At the end of the day it is just a game. Just a sport. Just a few hunderd dollars to go. Just another Sunday. It isnt life. That is much deeper. 

• Like (+1) 1