How can you possibly have a SECOND team that you root for?

Bakin

I loved the old AFL. It really was great and much more fun than the NFL imo. Therefore, I will generally root for those teams against an NFC Team. None of those teams interest me to the point that I have a strong favorite.

That said, I was an Alabama Crimson Tide Fan long before I was a Bills Fan. It isn't the same because it doesn't involve the pain of being a Bills Fan, and I'm not even joking. Even during their weak years the Tide managed to sneak in a championship.

I want to live long enough to see the Bills win a title. My biggest reason is that I want the people on this board that I have known for more than 20 years to feel the happiness that they deserve. I hope that the win will involve Josh Allen throwing a game winning pass like the one Tua threw in 2018. I was up until 3 AM that night in pure bliss. Bills Fans have earned this kind of pure joy.

PLEASE can we have a strong draft with no stupid mistakes?????!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I loved the old AFL. It really was great and much more fun than the NFL imo. Therefore, I will generally root for those teams against an NFC Team. None of those teams interest me to the point that I have a strong favorite.

That said, I was an Alabama Crimson Tide Fan long before I was a Bills Fan. It isn't the same because it doesn't involve the pain of being a Bills Fan, and I'm not even joking. Even during their weak years the Tide managed to sneak in a championship.

I want to live long enough to see the Bills win a title. My biggest reason is that I want the people on this board that I have known for more than 20 years to feel the happiness that they deserve. I hope that the win will involve Josh Allen throwing a game winning pass like the one Tua threw in 2018. I was up until 3 AM that night in pure bliss. Bills Fans have earned this kind of pure joy.

PLEASE can we have a strong draft with no stupid mistakes?????!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post - loved everything about the AFL from the uniforms to Curt Gowdy and the innovation from Hank Stram and Sid Gillman! I still root for the AFC over the NFC!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/1/2019 at 7:22 PM, Bakin said:

Pardon the bad grammar....and I know I probably asked this question before...

but how in the holy hell can a person root for the Bills (bleeding red white and blue, as one poster suggested) and still have a ‘backup’ or secondary team??

i really don’t get it. 

Can someone explain?

Well after reading what i am about to say this may confuse you even more but here it goes !

Let me start by saying i have been a Bills fan since the Electric company & the saying "Miami's got the oranges but we got the Juice" so i've been around for a minute & i has liked other teams along the way & routed for them . That team the fins i use to love them when they had Csonka, Kick, Morris, Warfield, there was just something about that team .

But i think the biggest reason i have a affiliation with my now second team is because 1 i live in the area now & 2 after the Bills run in the 90's i wanted a team that had a possibility of making it to the play offs a bit more than our teams have it was so depressing after Ralph stepped in & fired Wade our last winning coach & interfered with the people he hired to make the team a winner .

Although i still loved the Bills i just thought this guy is one of those that mettles to much in team workings to have another winning team i don't know how Marv lasted long enough to do what he did ?

Don't get me wrong i am very thankful for what Ralph did for Buffalo & the NFL, bringing a team there & keeping it there & then selling it to someone that has the same passion for the city & the team that he did but i just needed a secondary out let & it seemed as though for a while when the Bills would lose the Titans would win & vice a versa .

Yes i know that you all will think i'm crazy because the Music City Miracle & Wade were the last time we had a shot at the play offs & maybe that had something to d with it me becoming some one to route for the last team that screwed us out of the playoffs but it is what it is !! :huh:

GO Bills !! 

Personally I can't see how anyone could be in this for any other reason than to see that parade down Delaware Ave some day.  It's why I can't fathom why any Bills fan could not be a Sabres fan as well.  Whether it's the Lombardi or Lord Stanley it's going to be such a glorious release; I've fantasized about it and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.  Adopt other teams if you want, but you know this day is going to be for the die-hards who shed blood year after year and come back for more because it's in our DNA. 

11 hours ago, dlonce said:

Being a Bills fan is a way of life here in WNY, regardless of how ***** they’ve been.

This is the culture we celebrate at our Bills bar.  We've been accused of cheering first downs like touchdowns and touchdowns like wins.  Everyone wearing red white and blue is your cousin whether you know them or not!

well revisiting the thread this is what I take from it: I think that people that take their time to be a member and post on Any Buffalo Bills message boards should be deemed true blue diehard Bills fan...who cares if they tend to favor a 2nd team ..the key word here  is 2nd...because we can find it in ourselves to root for another franchise to win on the periphery does not make our fanhood any less for the Bills.  if you're arguing  about hierarchy that's one thing but what make us "wrong" to do so  is what Im not getting. 2 distinctly different love accounts there brother.

• Like (+1) 1

I usually load up a bit on fantasy for a team I expect to have offense, so I kind of root for that team (dont really care on result, just score points).  Currently its Brees and Kamara.  I had Rivers and Gates for years in their best stretch.  

I have always had a general 'liking' for the Browns and Chiefs, but I never gain much satisfaction or disappointment in wins or defeats.  

For the most part, I root for teams as a result of my hatred for the other team.  Rooting against the Patriots I get a bit emotionally invested.  I lived in Philadelphia for awhile and strongly rooted against them.  Also if the jets are good I strongly root against them.  Used to hate the Giants more, prior to conquering evil twice.

As a Syracuse fan, I followed/rooted for the Eagles during the Mcnabb years.  It was more rooting for Mcnabb than the Eagles, but rooted for them to win too.  Obviously cared about the Bills way more, but when they were out of it halfway through the season every year, I needed something to root for.  Plus they were always on tv in Cuse for the NFC game so got to know the team well.  After he left though, I didn't really care anymore.  However I sure did root hard for them against the Pats in the Super Bowl last year, lol

Easy ... I was born outside Chicago.  I grew up in Chicago.  I took the train downtown as a young lad to watch the Bears with my old man.  I've lived in BLo the past 38 years, so yea, I'm a Bills fan first, but I still have a warm place in my heart for Da Bears.  If that's an issue to someone, I would suggest that they are wound just a bit too tightly regarding their fandom

• Like (+1) 2

Lived in SW Florida for almost a decade so adopted the Bucs so I could talk football with the locals that weren't Bills fans. I've also got a college team (Gators) and an AAF team (Apollos) from Florida but will watch Cuse when they're on also.

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Easy ... I was born outside Chicago.  I grew up in Chicago.  I took the train downtown as a young lad to watch the Bears with my old man.  I've lived in BLo the past 38 years, so yea, I'm a Bills fan first, but I still have a warm place in my heart for Da Bears.  If that's an issue to someone, I would suggest that they are wound just a bit too tightly regarding their fandom

How can any football fan not enjoy watching "Da Bears"

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I have a confession to make....

I also root for the BC Lions.

SHAME! ? SHAME! ? SHAME! ?

And you call yourself a Bills fan??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!???!  NOT ON MY WATCH, MISTER!

13 hours ago, vorpma said:

How can any football fan not enjoy watching "Da Bears"

It's all about my super original chant "Da Bills da Bills da Bills da Bills" when Bears fans are near at the sports bar. 

They HATE it.

• Like (+1) 1

Browns are the only other team I really root for. They were my brothers team and boy did we watch a lot of ***** football together over the years. Nice to see both teams looking like they have the chance of turning things around. 

After that I just hope against the team I dislike more. Kind of varies from year to year because I hate when the media talks up teams and I really hate when the players celebrate after almost every play like they won the Super Bowl. 

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

Browns are the only other team I really root for. They were my brothers team and boy did we watch a lot of ***** football together over the years. Nice to see both teams looking like they have the chance of turning things around. 

After that I just hope against the team I dislike more. Kind of varies from year to year because I hate when the media talks up teams and I really hate when the players celebrate after almost every play like they won the Super Bowl. 

Family alleigences absolutely make you more partial to other teams your loved ones are rooting for.

My brother's got the Packers, Bucks, Wisconsin Badgers. Me Bills, Knicks, Syracuse basketball and both of us Texas diehards growing up with Cedric Benson, LaMarcus Aldridge, Vince Young, Ricky Williams, Jamaal Charles, Colt McCoy, Kevin Durant heroics. Family's all on board with that.. but I'm still Syracuse #1 by all means. He's Wisconsin #1 (although he thinks JJ Watt and Russell Wilson are total tools) Some families move around the country in your formative days. He's all Wisconsin teams, I'm all New York. Great reason for us to bond together. What else is sports about than to find reasons to enjoy it with others?

The sports bars are a great way to find comraderie with other NFL fans and talk about how much the Pats are d***s

Unless you, everybody you know lives and dies in Buffalo your whole life there's tons of reasons to pull for another team. Doesn't make you any less of a Bills fan. I love the diehard fans that came into Bills fandom on their own without Daddy forcing the issue. Not that there's nothing wrong with that but takes a lot of guts to pave your own path in sports, as my brother and I did moving around.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P